1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back up camera blue screen help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyman69, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    toyman69

toyman69 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I have a 2012 and this blue screen appears when you first put it in reverse. After a few seconds it goes off and back to a normal mirror while still in reverse. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix to it?
    Any help would be great.

thumbnail.jpg

2. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Have you checked the connection at the tailgate?

Seems like the lines are built into the display and the camera then just gives the image but since there is no image it must be an issue with the camera or somewhere along the harness.

3. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    You have a loose connection somewhere. This is a common issue with some remote cameras. Sometimes the screen goes red too. Check all your connections in the camera harness. I'd recommend starting at the tailgate to bed connector since it's the easiest to get to and the only thing exposed that may have been damaged by road debris. Then the connector inside the tailgate to the camera itself. After that, you're chasing wires under the truck.

good luck.

4. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    toyman69

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I'll have to check. It's my girlfriends truck and she just sent me a pic of what it does. I'm just trying to get input first.

Thanks..

5. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    toyman69

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Okay thank you..

6. May 27, 2019 at 10:10 PM
    pineapplesteaktaco

pineapplesteaktaco Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Barcelona Red Tacoma
    I have a 2013 that I have had no issues with until the last week. I am seeing the same thing. Blue screen then back to regular mirror. I looked around the tailgate and found the wires but didn't see a harness. It did start doing this after using the tailgate often in the past few weeks. I haven't seen any other threads after a search here, this one was the first I uncovered. I am hoping that harness pulls out some to disconnect it when removing the tailgate. Maybe I will find a bad connection there or a broke wire in the loom between the bed and the tailgate. IDK hopefully it is something easy like that.

7. May 28, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    pineapplesteaktaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have seen alot of these threads in the past day. Fewer with resolutions posted. I got up under the bed a little bit ago and found almost all of my connectors/harnesses are broken away from the clips and hanging freely. I feel like this might be a likely culprit. Being these are all plastic, I am going to zip tie it up for temporary solution, then get some 1 hole plastic clips to secure everything with a screw. Hopefully this will net some sort of result. It should at least show me if my problem is related.

8. Jun 5, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    pineapplesteaktaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I maybe should have started a new thread but since the picture the OP posted was exactly what I was seeing I decided to continue here.

So I ended up using zip ties to secure all the harness under the bed of the truck. Once I did this I figured maybe it would help. It did not, but the harness didn't need to be hanging around. I ended up taking all the broken clips off. They were broken across the back of the bed and up into the tail lights. So every spot that had a clip got a zip tie for the time being. I need to order the clips but I haven't been able to find the parts diagram for the harness that has the clips shown. I think these were all broken by the body shop that painted my truck back in October. They did a good job overall but obviously someone didn't know what they were doing.

So being the harness being tied back up I had my spouse put it in reverse and hold the brakes so I didn't get ran over (glad she wasn't pissed at me that day) and I started opening and closing the tailgate. Ah success. The display for the backup camera is receiving signal and then not receiving the signal. So it has to be in the tailgate. So I take the plastic cover off. I didn't realize the tailgate was a frame on the back of it. I thought that was kind of interesting. So I got in there and found the plug half plugged in. The latch was all mangled. About completely wreck but I was able to clean it out a little and make it work and plug all the way in and not fall back out. All back together and working flawlessly every since.

That was my fix. What has anyone else had?

Products Discussed in

To Top