1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

backspacing.. will these wheels fit

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Geoffrey, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    Geoffrey

Geoffrey [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys

Im new to this site and forum so please bear with me..
    I have an 05 Tacoma double cab long bed 4x4, i am having a Fabtech 6" performance suspension lift installed, i bought some XD Hoss wheels 17x9 with the new Fierce Attitude M/T 35x12.5, they look sweet, I am having a problem, the wheels have +18 offset with 5.75 backspacing, according to the shop where i will be having the lift installed, the kit calls for a 0 or negittive offset and a backspacing of 4.5, will my wheels fit, i have tried calling the place where i bought the wheels and tires and they will not exchange them even though they have not been mounted on the truck

I have read about the wheel spacers, what do i do??
    thanks

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    You'll definitely have rubbing issues with a +18 offset/5.75" BS on a 9" wheel. You could run wheel spacers, but it doesn't make sense to run new aftermarket wheels with them.

You'd be better off selling the wheels you just bought and buying a different set of new ones. You may take a bit of a hit on them, but probably not more than the $200 you'll spend on spacers. Where did you buy your wheels/tires, that they won't exchange them?

3. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Just grab some spidertrax, wont hurt anything

4. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Geoffrey

Geoffrey [OP] Member

Member:
    I bought them at the local goodyear store here in Laredo Texas, I was thinking of the Spidertrax, but i have heard thast wheel spacers are not safe.....
    If you have any pros and cons on wheels spacers please let me know
    Thanks

5. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah no way will those fit. They would barely fit if you were running stock sized tires in fact.

Return the wheels if you aren't comfortable running wheel spacers.

Do a search for wheel spacers and you'll find plenty of threads documenting the pros and cons.

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Geoffrey

Geoffrey [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    There are pros and cons to wheel spacers. They aren't necessarily unsafe, but since they do come with inherent risk, they obviously aren't as safe as not running them. So like KPT said, you should do your own research, to determine if you are comfortable with them or not. I have used them, and though I never had any issues, I also never really felt at ease while they were on.

I suggest you talk to the Goodyear store again to see why they won't exchange them. Did they have the wheels in stock, did they come from a Goodyear warehouse, or did they have to order them from KMC? In my personal experience, KMC would probably willing to exchange them, and your hangup is with Goodyear, not KMC. You might find that KMC will make the exchange if Goodyear contacted them, which I doubt GY did before telling you no.

8. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    the only times i have really seen an issue with wheel spacers were on trucks where the owners didn't pay attention to torquing them regularly...

i don't run spacers and i torque my wheels every other weekend...

we do some pretty heavy, hard wheeling out in the So Cal desert, and there are a number of trucks out there running wheel spacers with no issues... that being said, i know those guys personally and see them torque not just the wheels, but they periodically take the wheels off and check the torque on the nuts that bolt the wheel spacers to the hub...

just as you would check your suspension nuts and bolts, you just have to maintain the wheel spacers... you don't want to just slap them on and forget about them...

Products Discussed in

To Top