1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Camera Not Displaying

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by I3uller, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nov 2, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    I3uller

I3uller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Too far South
    Ive never had any issues with the backup camera before but I just got back from an 8 month deployment and the backup camera isn't displaying. I wired reverse lights into the same wire and they turn on fine, I get the beep, just no backup camera, doesn't go to a black screen or anything, head unit just stays on the current screen. Worked perfectly fine when I left. Any ideas? I checked the connection on the camera itself and that seems fine, haven't had the time to pull the kicker panels and look at the wiring where I connected to the reverse wire but seems unlikely that would have gone bad. Appreciate he help

2. Nov 2, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    Stewbuff

Stewbuff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Centerville, UT
    Vehicle:
    '05 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    Diff Breather Extension
    What year is your Tacoma? Could be some rodents got to the wires, as newer models use a soybean based sheath over the wires "to be eco-friendly".

3. Nov 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    jibski

jibski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 2.7 AC 4X4
    Do you have an automatic. This happened on my manual and it was a bad reverse sensor on my transmission. Not sure if the autos have this, and might not even be the problem since you’re still getting backup beep and reverse lights, but might be worth a look.

4. Nov 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    I3uller

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Too far South
    It's a 2014, manual but yea reverse sensor is good with the backup lights and beep and all. I fiddled with the wire connections at the camera itself and got a super broken feed from the camera so it's definitely the connections at the camera itself. I have s pelfrybilt swing out and made an extension for the camera...girlfriend drove the truck while I was gone so she may have opened the swingout weird and pulled the wiring a bit. Electric gremlins!

5. Dec 22, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    I3uller

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Too far South
    Update on this, called Toyota dealer and they wanted over SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS for the little thing. Found it on eBay for about 30 bucks. Installed and works flawlessly. Actually has far better picture quality than the original. Done deal.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Clearwater Bill and hoverlover like this.
  6. Jan 17, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    the reverse sensor? Im having issues with mine but usually the screen comes up but is supper blurry and I get lines through it

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jan 19, 2021 at 11:31 AM
    jibski

jibski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 2.7 AC 4X4
    The camera

8. Sep 26, 2022 at 5:57 AM
    smmckendry

smmckendry New Member

Member:

I have a 2015 Tacoma that has a manual transmission. About a month or so ago, my reverse light and back up camera stopped working (usually, when I put it in reverse, both turn on and there is a beep; none of those happen now when I put it in reverse). About a week ago, both the reverse light and back up camera started working again without me doing anything (I put it in reverse, both came on there was a beep). Yesterday ago, the reverse light and back up camera stopped working again, and there is no beep when I put it in reverse.

Is that the issue you had? If so, where is the reverse sensor and is it an easy fix?

Thanks!

9. Nov 27, 2023 at 9:02 AM
    Thrifty Tool Guy

Thrifty Tool Guy New Member

Member:
    2013 Tacoma 4Cyl MT

Intermittent Back-up Camera and Backup lights. Started in Summer 2022. Camera typically fails when bed has been in direct sunlight for hours. I assumed it was a camera issue, but noticed back-up lights also not working.

Problem never happens when in for service.

10. Nov 27, 2023 at 9:18 AM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    You likely need the reverse switch that's on the side of the transmission. I had to replace mine a couple of months ago. You can get on on RockAuto for (I think) less than $20 and it takes about 20 minutes to swap out. It's one plug, then unscrew from the side of the transmission. It's on the passenger side.

Thrifty Tool Guy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top