1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Sensor Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by superskaterxes, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jan 27, 2016 at 3:35 AM
    superskaterxes

superskaterxes [OP] Active Member

Member:
    So in the last year my backup sensor stopped working maybe twice and after a day or two it would come back and everything would be fine. A few days ago it stopped working all together but i could get it to trigger about 1 in every 10 times.

So i pulled the sensor out and bench tested it with a multimeter and it worked fine each time. I also double checked and both reverse lights work just fine. I then reconnected it to the harness without screwing it back into the trans and each time i pressed it by hand the lights and backup camera would come on without issue. So i figured the little arm in the trans was not pushing it far enough. I removed the washer between the sensor and the trans and tested it with the gear shift and everything worked 100% as of last night.

This morning when i hopped in the truck it went back to not working at all. By the time i got to work and i was creeping around the parking lot looking for a spot ti was coming on and off at random in 1st gear! its back to only working about 3/10 times in actual reverse and im at a loss on where to go from here.

has anyone experienced anything like this?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Feb 3, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    6Speed_Reid

6Speed_Reid Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Webster, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 6 Speed 4wd TRD Off Road
    6" Rough Country,Total Chaos UCAs,Donahoe Racing Coilovers,285/75/16 Toyo Open Country MTs,TRD short throw shifter,Pioneer Double-DIN,LED Concepts halos,BHLM,6000k HIDs, Spyder LED Tail lights.
    Mine has been doing this for the past couple of weeks and it's getting worse. I'd say mine also works about 1 in every 10 times as of today. Most of the time it does beep as I engage reverse but the camera doesn't do anything. And when the camera does finally come on, it randomly beeps and continues to turn on and off as if i were going in and out of reverse. Where exactly is the sensor located on the trans?

superskaterxes[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM
    superskaterxes

Member:
    i actually just bought a new sensor to see if something could be wrong with it ($18 bucks). The sensor is located on the passenger side right next to the exhaust mount. Its super easy to get to and doesent require you to remove anything. It also requires a 27mm socket.

6Speed_Reid likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    6Speed_Reid

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Webster, Florida
    Vehicle:
    6" Rough Country,Total Chaos UCAs,Donahoe Racing Coilovers,285/75/16 Toyo Open Country MTs,TRD short throw shifter,Pioneer Double-DIN,LED Concepts halos,BHLM,6000k HIDs, Spyder LED Tail lights.
    Thanks, let me know if the new sensor helps and I may go get one too.

5. Feb 3, 2016 at 1:00 PM
    6Speed_Reid

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Webster, Florida
    Vehicle:
    I noticed if I push forward on the shifter as its in reverse the sensor will beep every time I Apply pressure in that direction, and if I hold it there the camera will stay on until I let the pressure off. To me it sounds like something is worn out. So maybe it's like you said, the arm just isn't engaging far enough for the sensor to detect that it's in reverse, unless I hold the shifter as far as I can forward. Think it could be the sensor doing this?

6. Feb 5, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    superskaterxes

Member:

So i replaced the switch today and it back to 100% working. I bought the beck arnly switch from Amazon for $18

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSCYCI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

everything went together great but the connector doesent fit that great. There is a strain relief on the cable about 2" away so im not really worried about it. I think the oem sensor is like $78 so this is just fine. I will report back with any issues.

7. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:24 PM
    6Speed_Reid

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Webster, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Mine has been working flawlessly all weekend but if it starts acting up again I'll give that part a try. Thanks man!

8. Feb 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    blitz

blitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    cape cod
    @ 200,000mi I am on my third

Products Discussed in

To Top