1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad A/C Clutch, fix options?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 53rdcard, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jan 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    53rdcard

53rdcard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black Tacoma SR5 4x4 3.4v6
    I've got a 2004 4x4 v6, it finally stopped raining long enough for me to shoot some video of the odd noise i have been hearing when the A/C or defrost was on. And it was pretty clear right away that the clutch on the compressor was what was causing the issue.

So my question is, can you replace just the bearing on this, or do you have to get the entire clutch assembly? Guessing this is a dealership part for best results?

Skip to about 20 seconds the clutch engages shortly after that, before that is just 20 seconds of it spinning fine, and lots of wind noise. Once it comes on though, you can see it wobbling pretty good.

2. Jan 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Are you sure its the clutch, and not the bearing?

Years ago, I had an A/C clutch go out on me (it simply froze up so it didn't spin, causing a squealing/smelly belt).
    The FSM (1984 Toyota pickup) had a procedure for removing just the clutch. I got a used one and put it on. I had to disconnect and remove the compressor first, though. I've heard that you can do it on some vehicles without disconnecting the coolant lines, but not sure which ones allow you to do that.

3. Jan 12, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    From what I have seen it is just one bolt and a spring clip that hold on the clutch. And itlooks like the same procedure that you use to change the belts will give you the room to change the clutch.
    I called toyota and a new a/c clutch assembly is $245
    But I found this compressor with clutch for $180 and I can swap the one off it for mine
    http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2023216&cc=1429084&jnid=365&jpid=1

Does anyone know if I can change just the bearing that is bad on the a/c clutch, and if so do you have a part number or a link for it?
    Or a better price on the clutch would work

4. Jan 12, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    wamego

wamego Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 2x4 TRD SR5
    Have you tried napa online? Put in your vehicle and then start looking. Maybe orileys?

5. Jan 12, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    Dek Ngo

Dek Ngo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4
    cruiserguy likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    Dek Ngo

Dek Ngo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4
    Actually, I just watched the video. That sounds nothing like my bearing did. Mine sounded more like a whining, which usually indicates a bearing on its way out. Maybe your bearing is already shot, though...

7. Jan 12, 2017 at 11:35 PM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, i am convinced it is the bearing, more then anything just by how much the pulley wobbles when it is engaged, i will give the bearing a go first and hope Amazon has the correct one listed for the truck.

8. Jan 13, 2017 at 2:43 AM
    JPinFL

JPinFL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    I heard it's just easier to replace the whole compressor because it's a bitch to get to the spring clip, especially when it's still in the vehicle.

9. Jan 13, 2017 at 3:54 AM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, guess i will find out, i found a bearing on Amazon for $20 and will try replacing the bearing first. I'll pull the compressor if i have to, but i think that is a last resort as that also requires the system to be discharged, and refilled, and my understanding is, that once you open a system, you will have to replace other things.
    My a/c works very well, i do not want to mess with that system unless i absolutely have to.

10. Jan 13, 2017 at 4:23 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Makes sense to attempt without pulling compressor. Let us know how it goes.

11. Jan 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, it is possible to change the a/c compressor clutch while the compressor is installed on a 2004 v6 4x4, and all you need to do to have the room to work is drop the forward skid plate., loosen the idle pulley and remove the belt from the clutch pulley.

One of these https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27000-Clutch-Holding-Tool/dp/B004FEHXTI makes removing the bolt that holds on the pressure plate a breeze, you can get one as a loaner from autozone, like i did, if you dont want to buy one, should also point out autozone wants $25 for that exact tool. The bolt just came right out easily, and the pressure plate also came off easily. So i knew i was in trouble, it never is easy.

Once i got that removed, i saw a lot of grease from what looked like the bearing down in the area where the spring clip is. i used a hook to clean that out, and a inspection mirror http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Round-Lighted-Inspection-Mirror-80556H/206266275 to get a look at the spring clip.

That was when i found that the spring clip had broken apart, i found 2 of 3 of its parts, but laying those 2 parts out makes a pretty big gap of missing area. My guess is, this is what was causing the wobbling of the pulley when the system was turned on. I would like to say that with the mirror getting that clip off would be pretty easy. you might need a set of right angle spring clip pliers, but that would be about all you would have to have other then the mirror.

The pulley was kinda hard to remove, but, it was not stuck, i had to tap it with a rubber mallet a couple of times and then it came right off.

I had already purchased a new bearing for it https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049PNTFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon said it would fit, and it did. i went ahead and changed it out, figure i got it and am that deep into the fix, might as well go ahead and change that while im at it. i did spin the factory bearing, and it seemed like it was fine, so my guess is, this problem was 100% that spring clip.

Now however i am having to wait till tuesday for toyota to get the spring clip in, i cant find anything on it online, or i would try to order one. Does anyone have a toyota parts website?

12. Jan 15, 2017 at 2:00 AM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    There are lots of dealers that have online stores and even a couple sites that only deal on oemparts. Camelback toyota is one of the dealer stores alot of people use. Just do a Google search you'll find em with no problem.

13. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    I will assume that was all it was then?

ThunderOne likes this.
  14. Jan 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, and no, i changed the bearing and spring cli[, and things were good, but the problem came back a couple of months later due to the factory spring clip gouging a spiral grove in the compressor itself, that caused the new spring to eventually find this grove and break as well, after the 2nd time i replaced the bearing and spring clip and it again messed up and needed replacing within a few months, i just replaced the entire compressor, been going for about a year and a half with zero issues

cruiserguy and ThunderOne like this.
  15. Apr 6, 2019 at 2:49 AM
    DimeGirlTX

DimeGirlTX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marie
    Spring Tx 77373
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended cab 2.4, RWD
    Trying to keep it in shape and running nicely.
    I am replacing the AC condenser clutch. It spins but makes noise i think someone who fixed my truck last banged it on there i see scraped metal on the wheel and its squealing now.

16. Apr 6, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    sramirez1516

sramirez1516 Saul R.

Member:
    First Name:
    Saul
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota tacoma xtracab prerunner 2.7
    None
    Did you see dust around the ac like asbestos? I can see kinda brown dust around mine. Wonder if the bearing may be the problem.

17. Jun 3, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    tmmccarley

tmmccarley Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd Mccarley
    Vehicle:
    2012 White ex cb tacoma
    The brown dust is from the clutch assembly. Generally speaking when that brown dust is visable when u remove that pully its generally a sign the compressor internals are still okay n ur issue is the clutch assembly. the compressor itself isnt generally bad and a new clutch assembly can be replaced for much cheaper than an oem compressor obv. Its a bolt that removes the assembly than a small washer will be in there and a small snap ring needs to be removed and then u can replace it all. Its still not cheap for that whole kit is usually like a hundred or so but usually comes with everything to rebuild it. You can find refurbished units for 120 or so but new from the toyota the entire compressor is like 500 so its obv cheaper than that. However the only issue is unless u have the right equipment if the entire system needs to be emptied (which technically it should be done properly) and refilled you should at lesst bring it to a shop for that part of it. Any mechanic should be able to do that aspect of it. Maybe even run a couple of test as well to ensure everything else is properly working. If its holding the correct pressure n u dont have leaks its absolutely not that big of a job realistically.

18. Apr 28, 2020 at 10:01 PM
    REDeye jedi

REDeye jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Palm Springs
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma prerunner 3.4l
    Hey there. So I'm about to change out the bearing in my ac clutch pulley? I noticed you said if you had an inspection mirror and right angle clip pliers. It wouldn't be to hard. Now when you got the new clip and put it back in. How hard was it. What did you use. I see you did it a couple times before replacing the whole compressor. So what tools did you use to put it back together. Hope I'm making sense. Thanks in advance.

Tjk031 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top