1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad alternator? Random dash lights thrown

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TallGuy24, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2016 at 2:02 PM
    TallGuy24

TallGuy24 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Columbus, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD OR DCSB
    Hey guys, on my way to work today I noticed my ABS, battery and parking brake lights popped on out of nowhere. The truck ran fine, but windshield wipers and windows slowed considerably.

My instinct is a bad alternator, but I wanted to check and see if anybody had any other ideas?

It's a 2008 V6 PreRunner, 153,xxx miles, with towing package. Battery has been replaced within the last year.

If it is the alternator, what is the best replacement out there? I rarely, RARELY tow, and right now I'd like to save a little more money as opposed to going top-of-the-line, if possible.

Thanks!

2. Dec 4, 2016 at 3:15 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Measure your voltage at the battery with the engine running it should be in the range of 12.5 to 13.5 VDC with all the electrical load on ( lights blower motor etc)

Now if the voltage drops to low the ECM will power down to protect it`s self meaning your sitting where it quits

If this is the original alternator getting it rebuilt would be my first choice

The quality of rebuilt electrical parts has really declined

Life time warranties are great but after getting 5 bad parts in a row it gets old

If you need to go cheap call around see who has the lowest price

Products Discussed in

To Top