1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad head unit???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stocksport, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    stocksport

stocksport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    Hey guys,

Kinda new to to TW, but I've searched and can't seem to find anyone with the same issue that I'm having. I have a 2011 with the non JBL HU. There are several things that suck about this radio, but the most annoying one is when I'm listening to the radio (fm) the volume jumps all around. It doesn't get any louder than what it is set on, but it gets quiet and then will go back up to the set volume. I've tried it at every ASL level and the same thing happens. I did see some threads where people had no problem getting their radios replaced. Is there a TSB or anything on these or does the dealer just realize that they are that bad?

I'm taking the truck in for the rear leaf and squeaky fan TSB's and want to knock it all out at once.

Other issues:
    Reception isn't nearly as good as it should be.
    Aux volume sucks. (we all know that)

2. May 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    dustinJ

dustinJ Taco abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Amarillo tx
    Vehicle:
    09 dcsb Super white 4x4 sr5.
    Bilstein 5100 at 2.5 inch OME dakars with the big overload removed 265/75/16 on stock wheels 290,000 miles and counting
    Mine truns off and on by itself sometimes. Im going to change it so not to worried about it but yea its annoying

3. May 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I told my head unit that she better not ever just turn off on me or I would kick her out...

In all seriousness, the factory non JBL head unit is garbage. Replace it with something aftermarket. The difference in that alone is night and day.

4. May 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    stocksport

stocksport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    Yeah, I just like the idea of not spending MORE money on this truck. haha. If I can get it replaced for free I can live with the other issues for now. I like the factory look and just don't want to drop the extra dough on something that should work properly in the first place.

5. May 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    barelyrunning

barelyrunning Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    debadged, bed light, BHLM, Rear TSB, Tint 25%, 5100s @ 1.75, Toyo A/T 2s 265/75/16, TRD FJ TT Rims
    my stock headunit is a POS. it turns off and on when it wants, the screen will turn off and on, and my aux port is all kinds of wack-o. gotta save up for a aftermarket HU. hopefully this summer.

Products Discussed in

To Top