1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad rear suspension?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ffirg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    ffirg

ffirg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    So I'm trying to figure out what I should do about my rear suspension. If I stand in the bed of my truck and slightly hop the suspension bottoms out. I weigh 220 pounds and I just don't think that is right. And the front coils also look pretty shot. Is there a way to tell if the leaf springs are bad? I think this might be an excuse to slap some 5100's and new coils/leaf springs. Anybody think that lift would look weird with 265/75/16's? I won't be able to afford bigger tires for a while.

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Most likely the spring and shocks are shot. The 5 leaf pack from wheelers will give you about 1.5" over stock. Perfect for 32s.

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Sweet. Any idea of what kind of payload that would have? I camp and fish a lot and tend to load it up with a lot of firewood and gear, plus I have a fiberglass shell on it. It will obviously squat a bit but don't want it to completely max it out.

4. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    I've got a 3" suspension lift on my truck with 265/75/16s and it doesn't look bad imo. I'm going to get 33s when these tires are worn out though.

5. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    i just put wheelers 5 pks on. Before i had 1.5'' blocks. It was close to the same height. However the lift was too low for me so i put 1.5'' shackles on. Also Wheelers makes an AAL for their leaf packs so i ordered that too. You can also get that for the extra weight. But i doubt you'll max them out.

However if you do a lot of hauling. Check out Allpros expedition leaf packs. They are suppose to take 400lbs before they sag. Very heavy duty and also cheaper the the Wheelers pack. I have read that they do ride stiff tho on an unloaded truck. They also provide a TON of lift. Like 3-4in. Check JLees build thread as he runs these leaf packs. Around page 7-9 i think there is a pic of his truck hauling an 800lb trail or 400lb(can't remember) and it barely sags at all.

For front springs look at OME 881s or 883s(i think the 882 are the heavy duty ones, idk if you want those) basically OME makes 3 springs with different ratings. Also Eibach makes a great coil They give the most lift i think at over 3''(more like 3.5'')

Check my build thread for pics of Wheelers 5 pks with 1.5'' shackles and Eibach coils. Ill also be adding the AAL as soon as i get them, hopefully before friday.

Happy hunting!

6. Aug 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    ffirg

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Awesome information, thanks guys. I think I'll be taking it into a shop to see what they will charge me for labor. I don't have the tools or experience to tackle this kind of project on my own. And unfortunately shipping on those parts up here is through the roof so hopefully local shops can get those parts or comparable ones.

7. Aug 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    LOL! just noticed you where in Anchorage haha i was born there! :D

but yeeaaaa...shipping there is a BITCH haha hope ya find what you need!

Products Discussed in

To Top