1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad scab on driver side access door

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NepaTaco, May 15, 2018.

1. May 15, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    NepaTaco

NepaTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Recently inherited my father's 2006 Taco. It's in good shape overall considering mileage etc. The biggest issue I've found is a chunk of paint that has broken off and the metal underneath is quite rusted on the access door .

I am not a body guy so bear with me. It seems like the paint is much thicker than I'd expect. If I understand correctly base clear is a realtively thin finish. This is more like a thin candy shell.

Taking it to a shop isn't in my budget right now. Can someone here with a bit more expertise give me some ideas on how to make this less of an eyesore. I know the paint code is that 209 black sand pearl.

I'm afraid to go in and start grinding away too aggressively but I imagine I need to clean up the rust and feather down the remaining paint around the edge of the scab and neutralize the rust to try to stop it from spreading.

I know I can get a spray can of the color matched paint and clear at an auto parts place.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    MuleDeerSlayer likes this.
  2. May 15, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Looks like there is bondo under that paint..

PackCon and kimo like this.
  3. May 15, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Rjbiii that wouldn't surprise me knowing my dad he probably bonded duct taped or fiberglassed it at some point. The piece of paint was on there for a long time but finally fell off a day after I got the vehicle. I figure it's him screwing with me from beyond.

He was a great man and an epic ball buster .I say that with love .

4. May 15, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    If I were you, I would try looking at a local pick and pull and see if there are any black access cabs.. its one of the more common colors, and it would probably be easier and cheaper in the long run to just replace the door than to try and clean all the bondo up.. with black, I would avoid trying to blend/touch it up with rattle cans, it probably wouldn't end up the way you'd like it..

Sounds like yall had a good relationship, gotta love someone with a good sense of humor :D

Tacotj likes this.
  5. May 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Thanks I hadn't considered a local yard yet but you make a good point it would probably be easier and better assuming they have one in good shape.

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 15, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    no problem :thumbsup:

7. May 15, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    4 yards 4 nopes. The only bad thing about our Tacos is they don't die .

8. May 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Yeah thats a good thing, but also a bad thing in this case.. might also check your local craigslist. I know in my area there are a couple access cab doors on there. Its definitely a long shot though..

Good luck with your search! Hope you stumble along what youre looking for

9. May 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
  10. May 15, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Thanks. I've seen his stuff before. Great vid. I'm thinking about doing similar. I habe some idea about body work but I'm no pro. My concern is since it's a door I don't know how much metal I'm gonna have before I grind through .I guess worst case I'd be able to get the door and patch from the inside but I'd rather avoid getting that deep in the rabbit hole .

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 15, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    black coffee

black coffee A is A.

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 4x4 SR5 V6
  12. May 15, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I would sand to down with some fine grit and a small vibrating sander. If you can get to bare metal (not rusted through), get a color match rattle can from the auto parts store and put a couple coats of clear over it. Of course, use a good primer first. If needed, don't be afraid of bondo on a high mileage 12 year old truck.

13. May 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Thanks. Yeah the fact it's bondoed etc don't phase/shock me much. The thickness kinda threw me since I'm guessing I'll need to build up to get a similar thickness in the end. Planned to do grind it down by hand use some kind of decent primer/rust inhibitor build and bomb and sand.

14. May 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    That door has been cheaply fixed with bondo,and the rust that was left underneath the patch has made the bondo and paint fall off.

Clearwater Bill likes this.
  15. May 15, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Lynlan1819 do you have any suggestions on a good way to do this? A new door is a much bigger expense than I'd like to do.

I'm hoping if I get it down to clean metal use a good neutralizer and body filler I should have an acceptable fix.

16. May 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Here's some updated pics after I did some hand grinding with 80 grit paper. Not as bad as I thought. Low spot of course but I think I went far enough out to get rid of that thick candy shell like edge.

Obviously still need to treat that rust with a preventive and Bondo the one lowish spot. Anyone got a suggestion on how to spray so I don't have to tape the whole panel?

I saw that vid someone linked and I like the idea of using the paper and having a bit of blow under/overspray and wetsansing later does that seem to be a good idea?

http://imgur.com/a/we7nRad

BassAckwards likes this.
  17. May 17, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Alexely999

Alexely999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4X4
  18. May 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    You still have rust going on under the bondo. That's not going to fly. Are those spots across the middle, bondo? If someone used a screw slide hammer dent puller, there's your source of water/rust. Water soaks into the bondo worms on the inside of the door.

19. May 17, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    NepaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Pennsylvania (NEPA)
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 Taco
    Muddinfun I haven't applied any Bondo so I'm not sure about those holes. I see what your saying about a slide hammer/puller. Would cutting more deeply with maybe a 36 grit dig down and get more of that out?

I'm realistic. It's an 06 so I'm not looking for restoration quality glassy just something where I don't wanna puke and have bubbles. If I get a year or two I'd be a happy Taco.

20. May 17, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    Man you have 2 ways to tackle this and it just depends on how long u want to keep the truck.
    If you want to keep ur dad truck forever you are gonna have to buck up and take it to a real body shop and have them grind out the rest of that bond and make a professional repair.

Or just slap some more bondo over what u have sanded out and spray paint it. Then it will rust a hole in the door and you will have to replace the whole door.
    So now or then if ur gonna keep it fix it rite.

BassAckwards likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top