1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad to downshift in auto?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MontanaTaco, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Even if you Redline the engine, The engine is still spinning lower than it would need to cause damage. The limiter will step in before it aproaches the speed needed for the engine to be damaged.

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    That's what i figure. Buddy of mine who does not live here came to visit a few years ago and burned his brakes right off on that hill. Caught him by surprise. Brand new truck too. I told him, you got to shift down or you will be screwing your brakes up all the time. He kept going on about what kind of damn hill is 26 miles long ? Never seen anything like it before. Flat Lander.

The only warning it says is make sure you are off the gas when you shift down with the auto tranny.

3. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Pretty much :D , we have "rolling hills" if you want to get technical.

On another note, I destroyed 2 transmissions in a Mazda I had many years ago, I swear it was due to down shifting it too much. The motor however ran like a sewing machine at 90k miles when I traded it in.

4. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This is true , the rev limiter will keep the engine below the imminent damage threshold , but it would probably not be the best place to keep the revs at on a consistent basis , no ?

5. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I down shift mainly while towing the boat down a mountain from the 7,000' elevation. The road has alot of sharp turns and down shifting helps keep me from having to constantly ride the brakes...that's the purpose of the lower gears (and to keep the tranny from searching while going uphill.) One thing I haven't seen mentioned is constantly downshifting with the automatic while wheeling in 4WD. Is doing this (mainly while going uphill) hard on the tranny and taking a chance of it overheating? I know when in 4HI downshifting would be preferrable if the tranny is hunting, but what about when your in 4LO?

6. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    You sure?

The rev limiter will interrupt spark (or fuel), but if the vehicle is still in gear and rolling, won't all internal parts will still be moving?

Correct? :confused:

7. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    You want to prevent hunting cause it causes so much heat to build up so I'd be just shifting to prevent that regardless what mode I was in.

8. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Don't lump me in with those tards. They seem to forget that we have the A340 Transmission that was made for the Tundra and it's 4.7L V8.

Brake pads may be cheaper but the transmission is stronger...

9. Oct 9, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.

I don't think it would matter, in this case the transmission would still be the same reguardless of the transfer case. There have been many situations when wheeling where I have stayed in 4L and 2nd for long periods.

10. Oct 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well......Ive had Toyota engines planted against the limiter for a few mins. on end, and never damaged one. I wouldnt do it for long periods, but you shouldnt need to.
    Ok....If engine breaking, Yeah...You dont want the load pulling the engine into the red zone. Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

11. Oct 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I've bounced off my revlimiter on all my bikes with never a problem. On one I lost count 50k miles ago.

I've down shifter several vehicles close to redline with never a problem (that is more dangerous). The only time I thought I caused damage was when the tranny started to whine quite loud. Best I could tell was one of the shafts in the tranny got spinning was pass design limits -- still kept going like nothing happened

12. Oct 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    ^ Thats how it should be. On flat ground D is fine but there are those cases when I need to be in charge, after all I am the one that can see what is coming up.

13. Oct 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    I downshift all the time. Where we go riding (Dirt bikes) it's up hill or down hill. So downshifting is the best way to control the speed. I do it on all my cars.
    Hell it's a Toyota! :eek:

14. Oct 10, 2010 at 1:01 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Really? I've read that in other places, but mine sure as hell doesn't downshift on it's own while going downhill. If I don't downshift manually, it just coasts like it was in neutral and by the time I get the 1/3 of a mile down my residential hill I'm doing 50. I WISH it engine braked on it's own but no dice. That being said I have no problem manually downshifting. That's what it's there for, right?

15. Oct 10, 2010 at 2:17 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Good post.

You can downshift with the auto tranny. Engineers do think of these things.

Only should really need to do it when dealing with large hills/mountains and such things where all riding your brakes is going to do is boil the brake fluid and/or cause excessive heat, both lead to brake failure.

16. Oct 10, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Yeah, to clarify this point, rev limiters only work when throttle is applied. If you are coasting down a hill, the engine is being 'driven' and there is nothing that is going step in and keep you from over red line. This can cause a lot of damage and automakers are pretty savvy to it. I work with an engineer who used to work at the Porsche engine group. They used to void warranties on cars that have been taken to track days and over reved on down shift. The ECU would track number of engine cycles that the engine spent over reved.

With this said though, engine braking with an auto is fine on big hills and long grades. Just choose the right gear that is going to spin a safe rpm and apply the brakes as required to maintain a safe rpm.....

17. Oct 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ^ you know this is actually something I learned here. I didn't realize that the rev limiter wouldn't stop a coasting engine. Luckily I have always used a combo of gears and brakes to keep the rpm below the red-line. I haven't owned many vehicles that actually had rev limiters. Used to have to install them with my 6AL boxes.

18. Oct 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    I have blown gaskets and seals down shifting an auto transmission. I have bent valves down shifting a manual. A lot had to do with my age and Hot roddin' around many years ago.

Rev Limiters don't always work, and extra pressure in the transmission has to escape some how. Lets just say I have learned my lessons the expensive way.

19. Oct 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Pressure in the tranny from what? Auto trannys run on hydrolic pressure. I dont see how pressure has to "escape". And yes, older engines were much more suseptible to damage from high revs. Valves bend when a piston hits them, wich is a timming issue.....Not an Over rev issue. When "over reved", Valves can "Float", but this causes a loss of power, and results in RPM going back down.....And its most common on older engines, in which the springs were the older design, or the engine was spinning WAY too fast.

20. Oct 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    A little more info about "Over reving" enigines.....Most damage from an over rev situation comes from exceeding engineered piston velocity. On modern vehicles, this can be about 1000 or more RPM PAST redline. Many Tacoma engines, in modded form (stock internals, but FI, or the like), have the rev limiters bumped up to around 6500 RPM without issues. As for blowing gaskets, thats more common to happen at the peak torque RPM, rather than higher rpms. Reason being.......Peak cumbustion effieciency is at the torque peak. As revs increase, peak effieciency drops, as the cumbustion chamber isnt filling as optimally as it should, thus lowering pressures. HP (A number generated by multiplying torqueXRPM/5250) also begins to tapper off at higher RPMS. Now....If Turbo'ed or FI, then it could be an issue. The most common reason for a head gasket failure, is heat. Thermal expansion between the block, and the head, actually crushes the gasket a little more, and over time, this can erode it. This is asuming the gasket didnt have any flaws or damage during instal. This is not as common on an all aluminum engine (Aluminum head and aluminum block)

Products Discussed in

To Top