1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bad to leave front lockouts on?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by darkturtleninja, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja [OP] 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    ok so its been snowing off and on here and i dont feel like getting out in the cold and turning my lockouts on everytime i want to drive on an icy road or whatever.... i live in the country and the roads out here never get plowed... it is impossible to pass them unless in 4hi with lockouts on... but the highways are always clear..... so will i hurt my front drivetrain to drive with lockouts on????

2. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I would think it ok as long as you don't drive over 60-65. But let some of the other members chime in. It will obviously be slightly more stressful, but I don't believe it would be detrimental. IMHO

3. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It shouldn't hurt anything especially if you're using 4WD regularly.

However - every once in a while, I would disengage them and engage them simply to keep the dial working. If you lock 'em in and leave it there - you might never be able to unlock 'em (dial/switch might freeze up).

In the spring/summer when you're not using 4WD as much - I'd unlock them. Less wear/tear.

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    oh yeah when i clears up i unlock them... but my commute to town requires the use of them.... i was just wondering if it would hurt anything to drive around town with them on......ive noticed that there is tension in the front end while turning sharply or parallel parking but seems to be fine just driving around.... i just dont want to damage my front drivetrain....

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    It will not damage anything, a lot of 4x4's don't have disconnecting hubs. 2nd gens don't have disconnecting hubs, the axles are going around all the time. I would turn them out every once in a while tho to keep them moving, once a week should be fine.

6. Jan 18, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    not to get too far off topic but a rear locker would be bad ass.... has anyone done a conversion for a 1st gen???

7. Jan 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Not trying to say your stupid or anything but the V6 1st gens with the TRD package came with a rear locker unless I'm misreading your post I hope I answered your question:confused:.

8. Jan 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    He's got a 4 banger? There are many aftermarket lockers for those model trucks. I would think you could find a factory E-locker and make it work? ARB makes selectable lockers, detroit, true-trac, soft-loc, to name a few, make non- selectable lockers!

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    oh wow i suppose i didnt know there were that many options....lol... would be sweet... sounds like a pain in the ass to install.... yeah im kinda new to the taco scene so pardon my retardation at times:D

10. Jan 19, 2009 at 4:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I think he meant manual locking hubs for the rear axle.

11. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would recommend having a professional install most lockers, unless you know how to set up a ring and pinion. Some such as Aussie lockers are supposedly easy to install, I don't think you have to take the ring and pinion out, just spider gears!

Products Discussed in

To Top