1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baka's 1998 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Taco No Baka, May 10, 2013.

1. Apr 30, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Tru dat. It sucks breaking something right out of the gate. :annoyed: But I managed to have a lot of fun until then. :thumbsup: Coming home was a little nerve wracking since I was half waiting for the wheel to come off or lock up at 70mph, but I made it. :rofl:

Rattletrap66[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. May 20, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    This is from the Hardrock trip back at the end of April that ate the OGT's right front corner and ended my ambitions of ever going out of state to do the real thing...:pout:

https://youtu.be/BGCEYC0any8

Video courtesy of @Madunc :hattip: For a change, the OGT getting damaged didn't get caught on video. :p

3. May 20, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    THROTTLE231

THROTTLE231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    High Dez,Comifornia
    Vehicle:
    2011MGMDCSB6MT With Not So So Cool Shit...
    I LIKE BEER....
    Very cool video Lee...I need to find a good video editing program! Looked like some fun wheeling:thumbsup:

Taco No Baka[OP] likes this.
  4. May 20, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    That stuff was a lot steeper than it looks in the video, and I definitely wasn't keeping up with the big dawgs there. I didn't even attempt the rock gardens nor the climb with the huge ledge that Todd and the red Hilux went up. I did attempt the climb that Todd got denied on that the Hilux made it up, but I was denied on that one as well. Haha, our 2nd Gens were playing it really safe, although in fairness I think they were both open/open. But yeah, it was a great time until that stub axle pretty much exploded. Still made it home under its own power though. :thumbsup:

I did get to pull Madunc out of that bottomless mud hole he found, and I like doing that stuff. He was surprised with how hard the OGT pulls since when he came out of the hole he stepped on the brakes and I was still pulling him. :D

THROTTLE231 likes this.
  5. May 22, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    Reh5108

Reh5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 2.7L Extra Cab
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    I'll bring the bs here instead of your WTB thread. Bahaha I broke mine the day after you from what it sounds. If you want to go out of state you just gotta bring spare parts!

6. May 22, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:

Haha, :D Yeah, I had planned on that, but I shattered that axle within 2 hours at a small ORV park and it did enough damage to require a press to fix...or if I was only running the autobone axles, I'd have to have one for every obstacle and I spend all day replacing axles instead of wheeling. It wouldn't be a very fun trip.

7. May 25, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    @allenfab

IMG_20170525_163955358_HDR.jpg

:D

Now I just have to hope the inner bushing isn't too tore up and then I'll just need a lockout. :fingerscrossed:

Reh5108 and allenfab like this.
  8. May 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    allenfab

allenfab I hate everything

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    Nice! I'm real glad we rescheduled this cause the garage is full of shit from the move lol. I'll be ready for ya next weekend though

9. May 25, 2017 at 3:31 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: Me too. Got someone coming over to look at the t-case Sunday. Coming from 3 hours away so hopefully that means he's all but positive he's gonna buy it. Didn't ask about money either, so either he's planning to rob me or he's prepared to pay full asking, haha. o_O

Key-Rei and allenfab[QUOTED] like this.
  10. May 25, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    That will be a nice little come-up if he comes through. You can buy a few hubs with that cash haha

11. May 25, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ayup. Unfortunately, this is my regear money I'm spending on repairs. I would have been only $300 away from being able to send my diffs off to ECGS and getting them back with 4.88s. :pout:

12. Jun 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Paid a visit to @allenfab today and picked up a few random spare parts for the OGT. We also pressed my new axle bearing and bushings in. Thanks a ton for the help, Todd! :hattip:

This first part, getting the old bearing out, I did at the Baka shop. I was able to save the inner bushing which was good because it was out of stock...

IMG_20170601_095542184_HDR.jpg IMG_20170601_100426740.jpg IMG_20170601_100439028.jpg IMG_20170601_100651641.jpg

New bearing and outer bushing...

IMG_20170525_163955358_HDR.jpg

After we got the new parts pressed back in...

IMG_20170604_141252091.jpg IMG_20170604_141308429.jpg IMG_20170604_141333678.jpg IMG_20170604_141402180.jpg

Thank gawd! This saved $250 for a new wheel hub + ~$70 for a new wheel bearing + ~$20 for new wheel seals + ~$60 for the machine shop to install the bearing and seals. Cost me about $50 with shipping for the new bearing and bushing. I'll take that any day (especially since this wheel bearing has less than 2K miles on it and it would have hurt my feelings badly to destroy it to put in a new wheel hub).

Now I just need to find a new lockout. Worst case, I can get a brand new one from Low Range Off-Road for $128 + shipping, but I'm hoping someone has a used one they'll part with.

Edit: Also, in the process, I discovered my UBJs were toast...again (I'm assuming if the passenger side is, then the driver's side probably is too). So I'll be putting the third set of those in in 4 years. At least they are free and not terrible to replace. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    allenfab likes this.
  13. Oct 17, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    So, after 5 and a half months, I went from this...

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]

And the OGT is finally back in fighting trim just in time for the Fall Camp & Ride. :cool:

Rattletrap66 likes this.
  14. Oct 25, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Fun picture from the Fall Camp & Ride. This the first time I've ever seen the LTBs deformed like that at 14 psi. Kinda cool and I'm relieved to know that they will wrap around the terrain at that pressure.

OGT.jpg

Trd sport tacoma and Key-Rei like this.
  15. Jan 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Got phase one of the new front bumper knocked out today. @allenfab got the recovery points/receiver/front crossmember welded in and we got the base plates for the actual bumper made up with the lightbar mount. the rest of the bumper won't be done until after the Annual Meet unfortunately, but it's finally happening! :goingcrazy::woot:

IMG_20180114_101247138.jpg IMG_20180114_111729904_HDR.jpg IMG_20180114_111752663.jpg IMG_20180114_114115745.jpg IMG_20180114_164737378.jpg IMG_20180114_164755929_HDR.jpg

Oh, and Todd, as of this afternoon, the light bar is fully functional. It's probably going to wait until Citrus to begin communicating with aliens like John's ( @TacoTRD78 ) did, haha.

16. Jan 14, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    haha, good deal. Just don't mess with that light bar before Citrus!

17. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    That looks great Lee! Where'd you get those recovery mounts?

18. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    Cant wait to see the finished product Lee. The light bar that was communicating to Extraterrestrial life I think your talking about was @LMarshall73.

19. Jan 15, 2018 at 3:22 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Aw, damn...CRS strikes again! :frusty:

Haha :D

You betcha! :D

Thanks! I got the shackle eyes and the receiver from Ruff Stuff Specialties. They have some fantastic fab parts. That's also where I got my super beefy leaf spring top plates, ubolts, shock mounts, and anti-wrap spring perches when we did the rear end.

20. Jan 15, 2018 at 4:02 AM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    I thought It was a case of CRS Lol. I wasn't going to call you out, but figured better me than someone else lol

Products Discussed in

To Top