1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baka's 1998 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Taco No Baka, May 10, 2013.

1. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    LMarshall73

LMarshall73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Cocoa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    TacoTRD78 likes this.
  2. Jan 15, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Haha, no worries. My memory is crap and I know it so I don't mind if I get corrected. :rofl:

3. Jan 17, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    So I got a little artsy with the bumper while I had it off to paint the recovery crossmember...

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    IMG_20180117_152120156_HDR.jpg IMG_20180117_152146936.jpg

I think it looks way better, but I dunno that the cost in time and equipment was really worth it. I blew through pretty much my entire remaining supply of cut-off wheels for my die grinder (7 of them). It's done now though and I'm happy with it...at least until I need a cut-off wheel for something. o_O

LMarshall73 and TacoTRD78 like this.
  4. Feb 11, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    @allenfab worked like a slave today. :D Still didn't get it quite done yet. It's looking good though. :thumbsup:

IMG_20180211_125241771_HDR.jpg IMG_20180211_180628933_HDR.jpg IMG_20180211_180657193_HDR.jpg IMG_20180211_180718416_HDR.jpg

5. Feb 11, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    Looking good Lee nice work @allenfab

6. Feb 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:

Thanks John! :hattip:

7. Feb 11, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    :fistbump:

8. Mar 1, 2018 at 10:26 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    The OGT got some new bling this week. Brand new upper and lower ball joints, new Centric rotors and pads, got her calipers rebuilt, and got her spindles painted. She's braking much better now and not trying to jerk me to the left when I step on the brakes. :thumbsup:

Her new bumper should be completed Sunday. I'm hoping the trip to Lakeland is a lot more comfortable without sloppy AF blown out upper ball joints. :rofl:

IMG_20180228_182237024.jpg IMG_20180228_182253474.jpg

Oh, and I also figured out a pressure bleeding rig that works! It still needs fine tuned because I had to make do with parts I had on hand, but I'll probably post up some pictures of it later on if someone wants to copy it. It's not as nice as some of them because it doesn't add brake fluid while you're bleeding so you have to keep unclamping it to add brake fluid to the reservoir, but it's less complicated and less messy than the setup with the garden sprayer full of brake fluid.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  9. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    As promised, this is the rendition of my pressure brake bleeding system I finally got to actually work...

[​IMG]

All parts sourced from Lowes.

Parts list:

(1) Mini pressure regulator
    (1) 1/4" NPT (male)--1/4" NPT (female) ball valve (not really nessasary but it's an added layer of convenience.)
    (1) 1/4" NPT (male) air chuck nipple
    (2) 1/4" NPT (male) to 1/4" hose barb
    (1) 3/8" NPT (male) to 1/4" NPT (female) reducer bushing
    (1) 1-1/2" PVC pipe plug (not a cap)
    (1) 1-1/2" rubber pipe coupling (This should fit over the opening of your brake fluid reservoir, but I had to cut the bottom lip off mine to get the clamp down far enough to clamp to the lip of the opening.)
    (1) roll of teflon tape
    (1) package of 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID clear vinyl tubing (the sticker says it came in a 20' roll. I used some of it for the rig above and the rest I used to make hoses for the bleeder valve to run to a catch jar.)

I'm not guaranteeing this will work with ABS systems. We tried a previous iteration on @Rattletrap66 's truck and got nothing out of the bleed valves. We tried a similar concept, but a cruder implementation on @Sholden223 's truck and got bupkis. It worked on the OGT without ABS, but I haven't tried it on the T4R yet. I've seen a video of it working on a 3rd Gen T4R with the same ABS setup as mine has so I'm assuming it will work, but I have my doubts.

Key-Rei, Soul Surfer and Rattletrap66 like this.
  10. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    nice work!! patent that bad boy

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  11. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    A 4x4 TRD, Off-Road model truck has a hydraulic brake booster powered by an electric motor. It's like having an onboard power brake bleeder. Kenny,Brian and I utilized this when we did my suspension and put in new brake lines in the rear

12. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    word?!! I did not know that

13. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    Yeah its a perk of a OR.Im not sure about the sport.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Taco No Baka[OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Heh, interesting. I didn't know that. We ended up bleeding Frank's brakes the old fashion way. Same with Spencer's, but he had a conventional setup (vacuum booster with a master cylinder) with a separate ABS system on the opposite fender like 1st Gen Tacoma's had it. The T4R has the same setup as Frank's truck does with the electro-hydrualic booster.

15. Mar 2, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I had heard that this system requires a trip to the dealer if the electric pump loses prime, but Frank lost every drop when he blew that wheel cylinder and it managed to re-prime itself. Still, self bleeding or not, if you can get it to work, this setup would be handy for flushing your brake fluid, which you should do from time to time when the fluid starts to look dark. They say every two years, but I just usually go by the color. If it looks like beer, you're good. If it looks like honey, you're still okay, but you should start planning to flush it. If it looks like coffee, it's time to flush it, haha.

TacoTRD78[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 4, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Here's the nearly completed bumper. It's just lacking paint and the hoop might get some gussets if @allenfab isn't sick of me by now, haha.

IMG_20180304_174657257_HDR.jpg IMG_20180304_174638280_HDR.jpg IMG_20180304_174713769_HDR.jpg IMG_20180304_174627004_HDR.jpg IMG_20180304_174618984.jpg

I can't thank Todd enough for all his hard work! :hattip: :fistbump:

Now I think I need a 28" light bar to fill up that slot...

17. Mar 25, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
  18. May 2, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well, some progress is being made on the new bumper. I pulled it off last week and scrubbed all the rust off it with a wire wheel and then put a sealer coat of primer on it. While it was off I went ahead and mounted and wired the resistors I got from SuperBrightLEDs so my turn signals now blink at a normal rate. And I painted the diamond plate panel. Here you can see the resistors and the panel:

IMG_20180502_114504221_HDR.jpg

Then I decided I didn't want to put it back on until it was finished and ran out of patience when Hugo didn't get back to me fast enough (not his fault, I just got antsy) and went ahead and did a craptastic bondo job to hide the seems on the top of the bumper which required a crap ton of sanding to make look half ass decent...
    IMG_20180501_110531493.jpg IMG_20180501_110555862.jpg

Seriously, an autobody tech I am not! But anyway, I finally got the final coat of primer on it and I figure tomorrow I'll be able to start spraying the black semigloss top coat. This is a view of the bumper I hope nobody ever gets to see with it on the truck, haha, but it shows all the reinforcing that was done underneath.

IMG_20180502_114551121.jpg

19. May 2, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Here's some followup pics of the other side and my halfass decent bondo sanding, haha...

IMG_20180502_131426996.jpg IMG_20180502_131413657.jpg IMG_20180502_131239187_HDR.jpgIMG_20180502_131253626_HDR.jpg

I promise it'll look a lot crappier with the semigloss black on it to show all the low spots and lumps, lol.

20. May 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    And there it is in all it's blackened glory. I'm going to try to force myself to let the paint harden up for a week before I put it back on the truck, but we'll see if my laziness or impatience wins that battle, haha. :thumbsup:

IMG_20180505_193706574.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top