1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baka's 1998 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Taco No Baka, May 10, 2013.

1. Jun 25, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    If I can get my hands on that engine Kyle has for me, I could use that to mock up the fittings so they fit neatly and then transfer the whole thing to the OGT's engine. That'd make life much easier...although it might be kinda scary to see what the oil pressure does on some of those steep climbs and weird angles I put the truck in, lol. The idiot light never came on but who knows how low the pressure got.

2. Jun 25, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    TacoTRD78

TacoTRD78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    Sounds like you have a plan ,and easier said than done I imagine

3. Jun 25, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    I don't think it's anything I haven't done before, except mounting it in the instrument cluster. That could be a PITA with the 1/8" copper tube and all but like you said, where there's a will there's a way. I'll just have to be sure I do my LED instrument light conversion at the same time so I don't have to take the thing apart again...hopefully ever.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  4. Jun 25, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Or I could just make life simple and mount the gauge in the cup it's currently mounted in and mount the cup beside the tach. Then I wouldn't have to go through the bullshit of disconnecting the oil line from the gauge if I had to remove the cluster. :thumbsup:

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    LMarshall73

LMarshall73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Cocoa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    I did an engine swap on an '86 Monte Carlo in the late 90's. I ripped out all of the electronics and replaced the instrument cluster with AutoMeter gauges. For oil pressure, I used a gauge with an electronic sending unit.

6. Jun 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    It's more a matter of using what I already have. I have both a mechanical oil pressure gauge and a mechanical water temp gauge that went with the Autometer Tach I have mounted in the truck...Ironically enough, all three gauges were originally bought for and used in my '83 HiLux and were mounted in my '87 Hilux, although they were never used in it. It'd only be fitting to use the oil pressure gauge in the Tacoma. The water temp gauge I don't really need because of the Scan Gauge, but it might be interesting to mount it old skool style on the hood/cowl since it's such a PITA to run that thermocouple. That would be a real PITA though since I would definitely need to keep the OEM sending unit for the computer.

LMarshall73[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 29, 2018 at 2:01 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well, my radiator armor came in today...the day after I just put the radiator back in...:frusty:

IMG_20180629_165352587.jpg

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  8. Jun 29, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    Timbo's Customs

Timbo's Customs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    Lakeland FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 f250 6”lift 37s deleted 1997 T4r, tons and 4ds
    1997 t4r has super duty axles, 5.13s locked front and rear. 3 link front with 14" kings. Rear 63s.
    o_O Chicken wire?

9. Jun 29, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    .063" Stainless steel wire mesh. But yeah, it does look like chicken wire, lol.

10. Jun 29, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
  11. Jul 3, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Got my new lightbar installed today. I think it's almost perfect. I need to shim the mounting brackets up a little though because I think the lightbar ends are touching the bumper on the bottom. It also sticks out a tiny bit past the bottom angle which means it's not quite as well protected, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

mjHWsUzdXpXGsP9H_4Z2xJfC7OY_lOEU7QtapxYI_df37680cc3aaf94f71513f50371ce4ccaa1a9744.jpg

PQYj5Sj1IIblsdgzAFdALrjhNq8S5HNBythlPb6T_c96466e0c1e74709e50109341f7943f4bad06808.jpg
    Z87JvjG6drtBb21Et3KSYSgRWq7jX7t9_E4mv1S-_ee3083be68f29926d6d5cdab6b4a3c2d3b19f3fd.jpg

I'm going to put my old 20" on Natty. It's a perfect fit for her bumper opening.

Trd sport tacoma likes this.
  12. Jul 3, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    4X Innovations Sliders Tech deck Bilstein 5100's OME 885 CB radio install Rear diff breather mod After market front bumper lights Redline hood struts Shorty antenna door seal protectors Glove box/ Center console motion light Trailer harness plug relocation mod/Edit SOS HC rear bumper Ditch mount Lights with CBI brackets morimoto fog lights
    Looks fantastic Lee

13. Jul 3, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, John. :fistbump: I was just thrilled that it had adjustable width mounts and I was able to mount it to the same holes the old one went into without modifying anything. I need to get some lock nuts for the mounting bolts and trim them down so I'll just slid one or two 5/16ths large area flat washers in under the mounting brackets when I do that and raise it up hopefully just enough so it's not touching. I love that it actually sits lower than the other one. I feel that less light will be blocked by the main tube that way. Hopefully I'll get some decent service life out of it and it doesn't go all Close Encounters on me like LeeMar's bar did.

Edit: I remembered I had some 3/8" fender washers. I slipped one under each mount and it's no longer touching. Yay, me! Now all I need is those lock nuts.

I also need to get some stainless steel mounting bolts for my ditch lights before the bolts supplied with them start leaving rust streaks down my fenders. :p

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Trd sport tacoma and TacoTRD78 like this.
  14. Jul 7, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    What can I say...I put lock washers on the lightbar bolts--still need to trim them though--and I put stainless bolts on the ditch light mounts, so that operation is pretty much all done. I'm not terribly impressed with the light bar though. My old one seemed brighter. I don't know if that's because there's a cuple inches of bumper over-hanging the light bar now of if that's actually the case. I guess I won't really find out until I put the old 20" bar on the T4R, but here's some comparison shots (keep in mind the older shots were taken with my old phone and the camera wasn't as good)...

20" w/Ditch lights
    IMG_20160730_222117461.jpg

IMG_20160730_222411391.jpg

28" w/Ditch lights...
    IMG_20180707_212143613.jpg

IMG_20180707_212334879_LL.jpg

I just don't know. It's definitely not a huge noticable improvement, but it will be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison with the 20" on the T4R.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  15. Jul 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Ain't life great? Thanks to a leaking inner axle seal, in the process of preparing to install the new one, I discovered a completely toasted wheel bearing, LCAs with completely shredded bushings, and Marlin sent me the wrong seal. I'm probably going to keep the seal on the off chance it fits the other side because I know the seals are two different sizes, but since I opted to get the correct seal from the stealership, I've now got $72 invested in an axle seal. o_O

So my list of shit to do before the Fall Camp & Ride has expanded. I now have to:

• Done -- Hide the Scan Guage wire
    • Done -- Get my radiator armored
    • Done -- Get anitfreeze back in it
    • Done -- Get a new wheel bearing installed
    • Done -- Replace my LCAs (ironically considering how often I had to replaced the UBJs, the UCA bushings look great)
    • Done -- Get the truck aligned (again for the 3rd time this year)
    • Have Todd weld some tabs to the opening in my bumper so I can bolt a water deflecting plate over it when I'm wheeling.
    • Reinforce my hitch so it quits pulling the bumper up when I have to yank hard on someone.
    So much fun ahead of me!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    TacoTRD78 likes this.
  16. Jul 16, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Armored radiator...Take that you POS fan! Of course, now the fan will probably get destroyed and take the water pump with it if it hasn't already. o_O

IMG_20180716_114825827.jpg IMG_20180716_114910934.jpg

I know it ain't my prettiest work, but as long as it does work, I really don't care. The fastener spacing was dictated by the radiator tube and the wire, so it looks kinda ugly.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  17. Jul 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    [​IMG]

18. Jul 16, 2018 at 9:11 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
  19. Jul 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    TacoTRD78

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stuart,fl
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma trd off road
    Yeah, I posted and was like why do I have pics and Lee doesn't lol

20. Jul 29, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Finally, a long awaited mod has begun thanks to having a spare engine to use to figure out the needed fittings. :yay: :woot:

IMG_20180729_133215420.jpg
    IMG_20180729_133231428.jpg

IMG_20180729_133538609.jpg

It's starting to look like the cockpit of an aircraft with all the crap I've added over time, haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top