1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baka's 1998 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Taco No Baka, May 10, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    THROTTLE231 likes this.
  2. Sep 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    2010TRD

2010TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Waldo, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM trd offroad DCSB
    Billistein 5100 front/rears, Toytec 2" AAL Custom grill, All Pro rear bumper, All Pro sliders, Anytime elocker/foglights, Rear diff vent relocated, W/O seat covers, weathertech mats/visors, nfab tire racK, cobra 75 stealth CB, Custom engine/trans skids 3/8", Hella and HID behind grill, LED bar backup light, LED pods under cab (rocklights)
  3. Sep 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Ayup, once I found wheel studs that would work. TW FTW! :cool:

4. Sep 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    2010TRD

2010TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Waldo, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM trd offroad DCSB
    Billistein 5100 front/rears, Toytec 2" AAL Custom grill, All Pro rear bumper, All Pro sliders, Anytime elocker/foglights, Rear diff vent relocated, W/O seat covers, weathertech mats/visors, nfab tire racK, cobra 75 stealth CB, Custom engine/trans skids 3/8", Hella and HID behind grill, LED bar backup light, LED pods under cab (rocklights)
    TW is the best for info like that

5. Sep 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    Yeeaaaahhh.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and sub this thread :cool:

6. Oct 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Always wanted 13.50s and swampers on mine. Looks good

7. Oct 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! :D We'll see tomorrow how it does in the mud.

8. Oct 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    TacomaYeti

TacomaYeti WEST KY YOTA'S

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab TRD v6
    man i love that matte green

9. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Here's some before and after pics of the wheeling trip today...

IMG_0844.jpg

Then I couldn't resist this hole...

20131006_121351.jpg

And she got a little dirty...

IMG_0847.jpg

:eek: :D :cool:

Trd sport tacoma and THROTTLE231 like this.
  10. Oct 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    02 TRD Tacoma

02 TRD Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Lenoir NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma DC TRD
    Bilstein 5100 front and rear, dakar leaf pack, fuel hostage wheels, 285/70/17 Trail Grapplers M/T, color match shell, rola rack, hi -lift, dual cb antenna's with 520 XL cb, sandblasted bumpers an brush guard to paint black, color match grill, blacked out badges, and much more.
    How do u like the manual hubs man? I was thinkin about puttin at set on mine to where my cv axles would not turn all the time with automatic hubs. but now i think i will just keep the automatic hubs. By the way awesome pics man how did the truck do through all that?

11. Oct 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    How'd the swampers do? lol

12. Oct 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I love the manual hubs. If not for them, I wouldn't have been able to Lincoln lock the front diff. Sure, they take a little planning ahead, but really, unless you're locked like I am, you wouldn't have to worry about unlocking them until you're done wheeling for the day. I just didn't want to drive my locked front end on pavement.

The Swampers did great at Richloam. Once I put it in 4 dig, the truck drove right out of that hole in the pic. I did get stuck a couple times at Citrus, but that really wasn't the tire's fault. The ruts were just a little two deep and the center hump was way too hard for the rear diff to just plow it down. That said, nobody made it through anything I didn't. :D

The truck did well on the climbing stuff out at Citrus though.

I also found that the steering wasn't nearly as bad as I had been expecting with the locked front diff. It never tried to yank the steering wheel out of my hands and it wasn't hard to turn the wheel. It did seem to cut into my turning radius a little at low speed with the t-case in 2WD.

Oh, and one other thing to note...The OME suspension was awesome. It handled wash board roads without the rear end getting all squirrely and it soaked up bumps and uneven terrain much better than the old Procomp suspension did.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Geez, I just cleaned the truck from wheeling yesterday (took about 4 hours). I found out I'm pretty damn lucky I didn't have the truck catch on fire or something. I popped the hood to spray any mud out of the engine bay and discovered that the piece of sound deadening/insulation on the bottom side of the hood was just laying there on top of the engine. I guess all the mud and water it got splashed with made it too heavy to stay attached to the hood. I tossed it in the trash. Don't want that happening again.

Also, the paint wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. There's definitely some stains, but most of them came out with some elbow grease.

14. Jan 6, 2014 at 2:50 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
  15. Jan 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  16. Jan 6, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    More pics from the meet...

024.jpg027.jpg029.jpg035.jpg031.jpg025.jpg026.jpg030.jpg028.jpg033.jpg034.jpg032.jpg

17. Jan 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    w00dy

w00dy Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    BAMF kick out sliders, SkidRow skids,Pro Comp 7069, Kelly Safari TSR 285's, Elite front bumpa, OME 883 & Dakars w/ D6XL AAL, Nitro sport shocks, Eddie209 Soft topper, Satoshi, k&n fipk, Clarion vx400, Ultra Gauge, Debadgination mod
    Nice pictures! Looks like a great turnout.

18. Jan 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! It really was a great turn out. Had 14 trucks in the group photo on Day 1 and 18 in the Day 2 group photo, but we also had a few jeep guests and other trucks that weren't in the group photo. I think we had a line of more than 20 trucks going down the trails. It was awesome.

Seems like there are other places that have bigger turnouts, but 20+ trucks is nothing to sneeze at. We had folks from all over the state, from the pan handle to Miami. All great people. The only downside is there was only four 1st gens. Felt like we're a dying breed, lol.

Man, it was a lot of fun though. Haven't had that much fun in a while and I can't wait to do it again. :cool:

19. Jan 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Awesome pics man. Looks like you was able to put the swampers through some good tests.

20. Jan 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yup, they did great everywhere but on the sand hill climbs. They weren't liking the sugar sand too much. I know they work in sand, but I'm guessing the Odd Green Taco didn't have the power to make them work properly. In the mud and regular hill climbs, they did fantastic, especially coupled with the Lincoln locked front end. It just crawled up stuff other trucks were working to get up.

Products Discussed in

To Top