1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Balancing M/Ts

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BarberRider, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dec 3, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    BarberRider

BarberRider [OP] Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    I just put on some 285 stt pros and there is a bad shimmy in the steering wheel starting around 55 or 60. Shakes back and forth violently. I could take them back and make them balance them again but it would probably be a waste of time.

Will roadforce balancing get them right? The guy at the dealership told me even that was a waste of money on M/ts. but he might not know how bad mine shakes. It's bad. and I was under the impression roadforce pretty much gets them perfect.

2. Dec 3, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    What other suspension mods? Lift, UCA's? Have you had it aligned?
    Stt Pros aren't really mud terrain, they are more than that. They seem to be a bitch to balance, I've had all kinds of issues with mine, including one they say is bad and cannot be balanced with less than 10,000 miles on it.
    What size wheels? If you have 16" wheels, they probably knocked weights off the front wheels when putting them on, it's a tight fit with the calipers. Aftermarket wheels? Maybe try an eccentric ring?

BarberRider[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:02 AM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    I had it aligned with dakars/icon shocks and TC UCAs and spacers in front. I have since put on icon coilovers, so it needs an alignment, but It didn't shake at all with 265/75/16 KO2s on stock wheels. New wheels are scs ray 10s 17x8.5. which are hubcentric and should be G2G

4. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I've had excellent luck with road force balancing.

5. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    You have a lot more weight and sidewall with the coopers over the 265 KO2's. That being said, it took the dealer 2 times to try and balance my tires(same tire as you). The first time as I drove off the lot I could hear this ticking noise and the wheel weights were hitting the front calipers, and didn't take long to fall off. Took it back 40 miles later, and they claim a tire was bad and couldn't be balanced, re did the other 3 and said, "that as good as we can get them" and blamed it on all the suspension mods and said I needed to go to the tire store where I bought them, which is funny cause I got one for the spare from THEM!. I swapped out my spare, and went to a tire shop, confirmed the bad tire(about 10,000 miles on it)and had them re-balance the others. They had to use A LOT of weight to get them balanced, and even had to dismount end turn the tire on the wheel, but they got them. I should say I never had any issues the first 10,000 miles until I rotated the tires and went to the Toyota dealership.
    I'm guessing you have another issue, or like my dealer, they just gave up on getting them balanced and sent you on your way.

6. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    I don't have the truck so I can't look at it, but I didn't check the weights yet. What psi are you using on street and how much wear do you have at what mileage? I have seen some reviews claiming they were bald at 15k! I am kindof wishing I got 34x10.5 ko2s instead but NTB will probably try to charge me a fortune to swap them since these have 50 miles on them...

They are wanting me to put beads in them which I don't really want to do.

7. Dec 3, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    I've got about 12,000 on them now and they are wearing fine, nice and even, no major chunks, or any feathering. Still a lot of tread left and have been wheeled a lot. I had KO2's in 265 and they were a bitch to get balanced when new. discount tire even had to pull different ones off the shelf when I got them. i ordered the stt pro online, and got the spare from my toyota dealer because i had a dealer credit. The pro are a great tire for off roading, i like them a lot better, but many of the more aggressive tire don't have any wear specs, for obvious reasons. I have seen quite a few open country tires and nittos that didn't wear worth the crap. my brother has the older version Stt and has a ton of miles on them and still a lot of life left on them, although he is a gentle off roader, like gravel and logging roads.

BarberRider[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top