1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ball Mount "Hitch" rattles and is loose 2007 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TnShooter, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    Amazon.com has a bunch of options. Thats were i went.

2. Dec 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    If you tow a lot it's pain to pull the stinger all the time.
    Not so easy to steal if you use this :
    Google life_long_locks (all one word and remove the underscores)
    I've seen most of them and I think that these are best of breed for stinger locking pins.
    Plus, they offer the correct length for OEM Taco receivers.

3. Dec 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I do tow a lot I still don't need or want the damn thing in when I don't need it usually I leave the draw bar right on the trailer hitch so I don't have to go looking for it. I put a flip pin in that way you don't have to fool with the stupid hair pin while standing on your head. Not only that but it's hard to steal if it's at home. I have seen people that leave them in try to get them out after awhile it's fun to watch.

4. Dec 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Everyone has their own recipe for how to get 'er done.
    Plus it's a menacing deterrent for interlopers of all types, especially the take 'er outers ;)

Definitely in the leave 'er in camp. :p

5. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    some of these things come with sticky foam pads/shims. Maybe you could check your local auto parts store.

6. Dec 5, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Guys, all you have to do is get some of the "rubber grip tape" used for steps on boats, etc. and place it on the sides of the ball hitch. I have a shackle mount/hitch and it was loose and rattled like crazy, but now its snug, as well as my ball hitch. :cool:

7. Dec 5, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    nice idea. i may try it. edit: I WILL. i’ll get some this week and be the test dummy. i have to test something els this week any ways. :D

8. Dec 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    It works, and the rubber is like a cushion so there is no rattle, or metal to metal sound. On my "shackle hitch" (smittybilt) it needed a piece on all sides and it was perfectly snug. The ball hitch only needed two sides covered to fit snug. So far, really no signs of wear of the grip tape, and with no metal to metal contact, there is no surface rust to deal with inside the receiver and on the hitch itself. :D

9. Dec 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    I understand exactly what the OP is saying. I don't tow that often but I have a tri ball that I leave in the receiver full time with a pin lock to prevent theft. When I go down the road with this thing....it rattles beyond belief and makes my truck sound like a hoopty! Now I am not a fan of just jimmy rigging things together at all but there is an easy fix for the receiver that was designed with an opening that is just too big. To fix...all you have to do is just make the stinger thicker to absorb the extra space. The rubber tape sounds like a great idea as it probably has some dampening qualities but really just wrap electrical tape around it to fatten it up and you should be good.

EDIT: Ok...maybe this won't work for everyone! I had a gap all the way around but I just read that others are only having problems with space on the sides. Adjust accordingly!

10. Dec 5, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    I've tried the tape method and it worked like a champ, for a while.
    Then it scrubbed out. Maybe the traction tape will hold longer.

That's why I went with the drill-n-tap method outlined above.
    The bolt pushes the end of the stinger up against the top of the tube locking it in place. No up-down or side-side movement.

It's more work initially than tape but it's a permanent solution.

11. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    sweet. me going to get some this week.

Products Discussed in

To Top