1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BAMF CB mount

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by smmarine, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Apr 24, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    smmarine

smmarine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    I recently purchased one of these for my Tacoma. This was my email to the vendor today. Buyers, be aware, the bracket is great, but what they currently make it out of and do to it will fry your radio if you don't modify it out of the box.

I ordered 1 of these for my 1st gen Tacoma not to long ago and I'm not exactly impressed. First, I ordered the non powder-coated version, and received a powder coat one. 2nd, the powder coat was over the entire bracket. I don't know if you guys know, but CB brackets must be grounded to the frame of the vehicle. So I had to grind off the spot where the bracket mounts to the truck and underneath where the coax mounts to the bracket. 3rd, you guys didn't make your bracket out of stainless steel, so now it is rusting where I have ground the powder coat off. I think you guys should take a look at making your brackets out of stainless, so there's no need for powder coat. If you're gonna powder coat, you need certain portions free of coat so the metal can ground to the vehicle and coax. Selling them like they are is going to cause people to fry their radios.

2. May 1, 2016 at 7:31 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    All good points. Ground cable from the antenna nut? I would imagine you would be able to tuck one away. However you are correct that this shouldn't be an issue a buyer should have to sort out without some warning.

3. May 1, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    They sent me some email about all you would need to use is a lock washer. Don't know how that is going to remove enough powder coat to get a solid ground to the frame

4. May 1, 2016 at 9:09 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    You are correct. A lock washer will do little by itself. You would need a wire connector like:

http://www.tedss.com/PV1814RC/?gclid=CKnzkZPBuswCFRIbgQodsyQBqw

Only one large enough to go between the mount and the bolt for the antenna. Then run a wire to one of the three factory bolts. Basically it is creating a ground when you shouldn't have to for this type of application.

Honestly I think the whole thing should be aluminum so rust wouldn't be an issue. Then it could still ground properly even if you had to remove some of the powder coating.

5. May 2, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    Aluminum would be bad. It's not very strong, plus you have stainless connectors touching an aluminum mount. I used to have a steel bracket on an aluminum tool box. Corrosion city

6. May 2, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Stainless steel works well for this purpose but a star style lock washer works to remove enough powder coating too. One like this...
    [​IMG]

Thelgord likes this.
  7. May 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Any of the above methods work: just throw dielectric grease on the joints to keep corrosion out and maintain a solid connection.

Thelgord likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top