1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ban on motorcycles

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by rpoint16, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Feb 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    This started last week! It was meant to deture lead content, 600ppm by weight, from toys.

I KNOW THERE'S A FEW OTHER POST GOING AROUND ON THIS, BUT THIS WAS JUST SENT TO ME FROM MX SPORTS....READ BELOW

URGENT: Call to Action from MX Sports

Dear Industry Leaders, Racers, Fans and Enthusiasts,

Yesterday, a law went into effect prohibiting the sale of minicycles to children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). This law, which arguably applies to both motorcycles and ATVs, treats any children's product that contains more lead than the limit established by law as a banned hazardous substance.

We have already begun to experience the devastating consequences of this new legislation upon our sport, as OEMs have already pulled these machines from their showroom floors. Youth racing is the foundation of our sport. That is when most of you fell in love with motorcycles in the first place, only to grow up to bring your own kids back to the racetracks. Only now, they can't ride.

On behalf of MX Sports (Loretta Lynn's), Racer Productions (GNCC), and ATVPG (ATV Amateur Nationals), we are extremely concerned with the short- and long-range effects of this new legislation, as the first rounds in all of our various series are less than two weeks away, and all include classes for youth racers under the age of 13. But it's not just our events - WORCS, NMA, Mini Os, SETRA, etc., are all adversely impacted.

It is our opinion that the new law is inapplicable to off-highway motorsports, as neither motorcycles nor ATVs have the potential for ingestion, and lead from motorcycles is not likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream or present a health hazard. Let's face it - when was the last time someone swallowed a motorcycle? Any other interpretation would be silly. Be that as it may, the law will continue to adversely affect our industry unless and until an exemption is granted.

Presently, there is a petition for an immediate temporary exemption pending before the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) on behalf of the OEMs, distributors, and industry associations. This petition, if granted, would enable our industry to move forward this racing season while the applicability of the law to the off-highway industry is determined.

What can you do?

A form letter for submission to the CPSC in support of the petition for exemption is attached as prepared by the MIC. The letter will also be available this weekend at the Indy tradeshow. Simply print out one copy for each person in your family and submit it ASAP. In the meantime, AMA is preparing a letter for submission by its membership to the CPSC. Be on the lookout for that one as well.

Also, an electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his website at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

What else can you do?

Contact your congressmen and senators; let them know that this legislation will have the unintended consequences of crippling an entire industry. Surely, it could not have been the spirit or intent of the new law to apply to motorcycles or bicycles (which apparently have lead in the brake cables).

Time is of the essence. The very future of our sport and of our industry depends on this. We must support the pending petition before the commencement of the national racing season.

Please give this matter your immediate attention, and forward this letter to EVERY PERSON available ASAP.

Thank you,

c.

Carrie Coombs Russell

DOWNLOAD CPSC FORM LETTER HERE---See below

February 16, 2009

Acting Chairman Nancy Nord
    Commissioner Thomas Moore
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    4330 East-West Highway
    Bethesda, MD 20814

Re: MIC and SVIA Petitions for Temporary Final Rule to Exclude a Class of Materials under Section 101(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

Dear Chairman Nord and Commissioner Moore:

My company is in the business of selling youth ATVs, youth off-highway motorcycles (OHMs), parts or accessories for and/or services relating to those vehicles. I am writing to urge you to grant the above-referenced petitions filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC), the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) and several manufacturers and distributors.

While most parts of youth powersports products are compliant with the CPSIA lead limits, some parts unavoidably contain small quantities of lead in excess of the CPSIA limits, such as the valve stems on the tires, the aluminum in some brake components and the terminals on the batteries, to name some examples. Lead in these components is necessary, either because small amounts of lead are needed for safety (such as machining the deep grooves on tire valves, which is needed to assure tire air retention) or functionality (such as the lead in battery terminals, which is needed to conduct electricity). Because these small quantities of lead are unavoidable, powersports businesses had to cease selling youth products on February 10, 2009 and will need relief from the CPSIA requirements in order to resume selling these products.

In enacting the CPSIA, Congress gave you the tools to grant merited, common-sense exclusions from the lead standards. Children do not eat, lick or mouth ATV or OHM parts. Relief from the CPSIA’s lead content requirements for youth ATVs and OHMs should be granted because the lead-containing components, parts and accessories pose no risk of causing measurable increase in blood lead levels in children ages 12 and younger.

I also am very concerned about an unintended consequence of the CPSIA. Applying the new lead content regulations to youth ATVs has resulted in many youth models being unavailable to families, and may result in more youth riding adult size ATVs. CPSC, the ATV industry, consumer groups, safety advocates and parents all agree that the key to improving ATV safety for riders under the age of 16 is to keep them off of ATVs designed for adults.

I urge you to grant the petitions for temporary exclusions filed by MIC, SVIA and the manufacturers/distributors.

Respectfully Submitted,

2. Feb 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    it sucks, but all in all I think its a good idea. Anyone under the age of 13 really isnt "grown up" enough to ride and handle some of the bikes out there. I knew of 3 kids that were killed on them, as they were given as birthday presents. Whats one more year gonna mean anyways?

3. Feb 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

tacomaniacmatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    kinda getting out of hand...
    wow...that is ridiculous...

4. Feb 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

Sorry bro, but I have to disagree with you here;

poor supervision....not giving the the kid a gift, but giving the gift and NOT SUPERVISING him/her.

fucking idiots keep banning shit and making laws to inhibit evervyone when in fact proper supervision would have saved those lives.

its all lazy ass shit for brains parents...

5. Feb 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

tacomaniacmatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    kinda getting out of hand...

I have to agree with this 110%...I got my first bike when I was almost SIX years old...I seem ok right?

(disregard that last question I dont want the answer lol :D)

6. Feb 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    rpoint16

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    The spirit of the law is well meant, FOR TOYS! By toys, I mean small items kids can put in thier mouth.

I started riding when I was 7, & racing by 8. Go to any local motocross track & you will see tons of mini riders. Riding in general is a great family sport which teaches coordination, mechanical skills, disclipine, & respect, when done right.

7. Feb 16, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    As BrianR said, supervise & accountability. It also includes smaller cc snowmobiles. I have many friends who's children ride bikes, atvs & snow machines very responsibly & more respectful than some adults. It is tragic that accidents occur but its not because of the lead paint....bad things happen to good people even with greatest of precautions. I'm writing my constituents!!

8. Feb 16, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Motoknuckle

Motoknuckle Braaaaap!

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner xtracab V6
    Tint, Clear Corners,

Oh my god.

Are you kidding????

You're pretty much taking away amateur motocross by doing this. I've been riding since I was 4 and don't regret a thing. I got hurt, but it's just part of the sport.

I've already called my representatives here in Iowa because this law is just crazy.:mad:

9. Feb 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

This really has nothing to do with ability or supervision. It has to do with the lead content in the paint. How many kids have you seen sucking on the frame versus riding the bike/ATV?

10. Feb 16, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Next they will tell me I can't teach my son how to shoot under 13years of age. Ridiculous.

11. Feb 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    rpoint16

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    Agreed.

That said, there is very little paint on a motocross bike. The lead content is in the mechanical parts, magnesium casing, etc...

12. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Maybe kids are crashing and ingesting lead engine parts? LOL

13. Jun 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    For those that don't know...the ban was lifted for 2 years (I think). In that time, manufacturers need to develop ways to eliminate lead from their products.

They still did not make them exempt, which is what they should do.

To Top