1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bare metal sliders, how to paint them?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Rconectn, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Rconectn

Rconectn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 Regular Cab
    I just ordered a pair from Brandon over at avidoffroad.com. I know they come in bare metal and I was wondering how do I go by painting these? This will be the first time painting something like this and I have no clue where to begin. What are the steps to during a project like this?

Also is it possible to paint them a chrome color or would another process to doing this be better?

2. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    No Chrome!!!! If you want them plated, take them to a shop that'll do that. I did mine by first wiping them down with some nie sandpaper to get and rust or slag off, then wiped denatured alcohohol to clean them. 2 coats of automotive primer and 3 coats of textured black. let each coat dry fully before spraying again. Hope it helps.

3. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    masshole taco

masshole taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    sand them down so you rough them up a little bit.. .Paint will adhere better to a scuffed up surface.. throw a few coats of primer and let dry and then go nuts with a rattle can..

4. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You could always coat them with Herculiner ... the stuff you buy at walmart.
    Easy to touch-up if you scrape it off on the rocks.

5. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Just to add: Be sure to scuff up your primer before you apply your paint, or whatever final coating you decide to use. Otherwise, your paint adhesion will be compromised, and in a high-use area like sliders, the paint will begin peeling prematurely.

Red 3M scotch-brite pads are ideal for scuffing. Perfect choice if you go for herculiner. If you're rattle-can spraying it, stick to a gray pad, as it's not as coarse as red, and will not show the sand scratches a red pad will leave behind.

6. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Rconectn

Rconectn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 Regular Cab
    Thanks for the tips guys. By the way, which type of sand paper should I use i.e. grit.

kinetik873 you said no to the chrome, how come and sorry for being ignorant but what is plated?

I also wasn't aware that I should sand the primer before painting?

As far as paint goes whats the best kind? Dadic 78 mentioned herculiner; which considering the location seems like a smart move, but is using a rattle-can a good choice also? I would like to go for a silver/chrome look since my Tacoma is white or would black be a better color, ummm...

Sorry for all the questions guys, I'm such a n00b :D

7. Dec 4, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    To prep the steel for primer, use 320 or 400 grit paper. Once it's all primed up the paper you need will depend on your final paint application. Rattle-can won't hide much in terms of sand scratches, so you'll want to sand your primer with 600 grit. If you're going with herculiner, or a similar product, where it's very textured, and you're not worried about sand scratches, you can just use a red 3M pad as I mentioned earlier, or even use your 400 grit again to prep the surface.

NP on all the questions man, ask away, that's what this site is for. We were all noobs once.

8. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    I would say have them powder coated if you do not plan on using them them offroad, it is much more durable but if you scratch them touching them up will be difficult

9. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Self Etching primer might be ideal, since it is bare metal.

10. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I keep reading that it's more difficult to touch up sliders if they've been powder coated. Why is that?

11. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Because if they are welded on you are unable to bring them back to the powder coater and it is generally pretty hard to match the powder coat appearance with spray paint

Products Discussed in

To Top