1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Base RWD quick strut brake line issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by traverpen, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    traverpen

traverpen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    2005 base extended cab RWD
    Dents, scratches, bent passenger window track, bolted on/glued together plastic grill, snug top shell with bed for sleeping and a drawer for fishing poles and guns.
    I got an "OE" suspension kit for my 2005 base RWD from rock auto, because the rear end was bottoming out every time I went over speed bumps. The front quick struts did not come with the brackets for the brake lines to mount to.

I was wondering what others have done in this scenario. I was thinking about trying to clamp it on somehow. I just don't want the brake lines flopping around or snagging on anything, since it would seem it's secured there for a reason. I also want this to be cheap and I am not too excited about taking the coil/strut assembly apart, to change just the strut. It looks like most of the quick strut kits may not have the bracket. I am emailing rock auto to see what they have to say. I also cannot weld, nor am I going to pay someone to remove the old brackets and weld them on the new ones.

Thanks for the help.

The rears also came missing hardware for one side as, but I got some for now at OSH and reused the rubber washers. Speed bumps are tolerable now, and there were polished marks on the top of the rear axles. The left rear shock collapsed on its own and the right rear didn't rebound when I pushed it down and then the oil leaked out.... It was a little over due, 180K total and 75k of driving it like it was stolen.

2. Sep 21, 2017 at 8:39 AM
    Mr. Projekt

Mr. Projekt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB TRD-OR 4x4 Army Green
    you can zip tie them.... or go to a junk yard and pull them.... or find someone parting out a Tacoma....

tcBob likes this.
  3. Sep 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    traverpen

traverpen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Dents, scratches, bent passenger window track, bolted on/glued together plastic grill, snug top shell with bed for sleeping and a drawer for fishing poles and guns.
    I think I'd go with a large cushioned clamp around the strut before a zip tie. It would have a chance at not slipping, and would be less white trashy of me. The junk yard strut may be of more dubious quality than rock auto "quick" struts....

After fighting with their "customer service," they are taking them back and I got a prepaid label for the return. Someone on the Monroe website asked a similar question about 4runners with the brake line bracket and the Monroe tech basically said they are not for that application.

Going to head to autozone or orilies after I get my refund and see what they have. At least I can view it in the store and see if it has the right configuration. It does look like all of the quick struts lack the bracket, but if I buy the strut separately I can get the right one.... The rears were the bigger issue, but the fronts need changing too. Something about taking over weight loads of dirt to dump in the country may have played a part in the rears going bad first...

4. Sep 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    taco2010trd

taco2010trd Cyber Bully

Member:
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD OR DCSB
    What is a quick strut?

5. Sep 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    traverpen

traverpen [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    It's a pre-assembled strut and coil assembly. It makes changing the strut less work and you don't have to use death clamps to compress the coil while taking the assembly apart to change the strut. I'll probably use some death clamps anyway so I don't have to disconnect the lower control arm to get the assembly out.

Products Discussed in

To Top