1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Basic '08 speaker upgrade parts, anything I'm missing?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by logcabinwc, May 15, 2016.

1. May 15, 2016 at 10:25 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Hi all-
    looking to upgrade the speakers in the truck. Been running an aftermarket head unit for several years, but I think it's time to upgrade the speakers. I've gotten several wire adapters from Best Buy, and purchased the metra speaker adapters. So this is what I was thinking of ordering in terms of speakers and an amp:

Front door speakers: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt 2-way speakers
    Back Door speakers: [​IMG]Infinity Reference X Ref-9603ix 3-way speakers
    Amp:Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier

Any advice or anything that I'm missing?

2. May 16, 2016 at 2:19 AM
    nizzmont

nizzmont Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    S.E WA state
    Vehicle:
    2015 doublecab TRD sport
    in progress
    Looks like you have it all to me but maybe a little under powered on the amp going off the max of those speakers imo

3. May 16, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    you are missing speaker mount adapters(to mount new speakers to the doors), and a line out converter(gives you an RCA to connect to your amp).

Obviously you will also need a wiring kit. Probably get away with an 8 gauge, but i would go 4 gauge just to make sure.

4. May 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Well I don't need an extremely loud system, just something that sounds good at normal levels with the occasional "pump". Are the speakers going to sound bad because their RMS power is around 100 for the back and 60 up front for the amp that outputs 45?

I've got metra speaker adapters (purchased from BB when I had a summer job there... saved some $$)
    As for the wiring kit, what do you recommend? I though that the amp came with its own wire harness.. Is there something I am missing?

5. May 16, 2016 at 12:02 PM
    Zac of all trades

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    You will need...
    Wires:
    Power (4 or 8 gauge)
    Ground (match the power gauge)
    Remote (can use pretty much any wire, typically its very small guage)
    RCA x 2 (you will need a 4 channel line out converter if you are using a stock head unit)
    Speaker wire
    Here is a link to a kit for reference (you maybe able to find a better kit or a cheaper one if you want to go that route)
    http://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-G...1&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=4+gauge+amp+kit&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Gauge-Amp...ash=item3ce58cd69e:g:N8oAAOSwv-NWURrp&vxp=mtr

Additional:
    inline fuse holder and fuse (typically comes with the amp wiring kits)
    4 channel Line out converter (will give you left/right and front/back, 4 channel amps require 2 sets of RCA)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. May 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM
    Zac of all trades

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    Ok so i forgot about sound processors, If you use a Digital Sound Processor then you will not need a line out converter. The DSP will give you a better sound than what your stock headunit can alone. Just an FYI

7. May 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Well most of the wiring is included in the harness with the amp. I have plenty of wire, and I have already installed an external fuse block so hooking up to power and a ground will be a breeze. For the remote, I can tap into the power to the radio (and I've got a whole baggy of taps) so that should be pretty easy. I can't remember if my pioneer head unity has four or just two RCA outputs, I thiiiink 4.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top