1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Basic, Reliable Pistol?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Hotdog, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jul 4, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    One more thing to consider on choosing an auto over the revolver. If your wife is going to shoot it make sure she can safely manipulate the slide to load the gun or clear a jam. Autos are susceptible to the “limp wrist” malfunction and some people may have physical disabilities or reduced strength in their hands that do effect if they can operate the pistol safely.

2. Jul 4, 2008 at 9:18 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    If somone is not man or woman enough to shoot a Glock (or any other semiauto) I encourage them to act like a little girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuvmbeX8t0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2rKj4eZgo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o

The class she attended in these videos is a Tactical Response Fighting Pistol class.

She's only 11 years old. I'm sure her dad is immensely proud of her.

3. Jul 4, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    A healthy young girl with no disabilities that I saw. What I did see were several malfunctions due to limp wristing the gun. Thanks for making my point. :rolleyes:

If I were her dad I too would be proud. She handled herself well.

4. Jul 4, 2008 at 9:49 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I belive that those malfunctions were intentional. The class I went to, which was very simillar to the one in the video, the Instructors loaded "snap caps" randomly in the magazines to teach clearing techniques. WHen I was in the class, I had just as many FTF's as she did. :)

5. Jul 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    bambooshoots

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    +1

Mix dummy rounds/snap caps into a training class and they'll be second nature to clear by the second day.

Yes, I do know that some people may have physical disabilities, however, 11 year old girls aren't renowned for their hand/arm strength either. On another note (you can tell I'm a Glock fanboy here), I've also read on more than on occasion where someone had given up the shooting sport due to pain in their hands but were pleasantly surprised to find that they could shoot Glocks without any discomfort.

If in fact someone is disabled (I know the OP is not, if we want to refer to the original post), a semiauto would make even more sense than a revolver for several reasons. One is that it holds more ammuntion (yes, I know *STATSTICALLY* only 3-7 rounds are fired in a confrontation, if any, BUT statistically we'll never need our guns either), which means you won't have to reload as soon. Second reason is it's easier to manipulate single handedly. I'm not sure how you would reload a revolver with only one hand, since I've never trained with them, but it's very easy with a semiauto. Malfunctions, if they do happen, require only the heel of your shot/boot or your belt to catch the rear sight on and rack the slide.

Can we just agree to disagre, 4x4x4trd? :D

6. Jul 4, 2008 at 2:33 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    FWIW, out of all the pistols and long guns we have, my Wifes first choice for defence is my Sig. 220. :eek: One night, when I was supposed to be out of town, I came home very late, and made a little noise trying to unlock the door as my hands were full. When I made it inside, all of a sudden the lights turned on, and there was my wife with the AR. Chambered and with a fresh 30 round mag! I was so proud! and thankfull she can asses a "shoot/no shoot" situation :eek:

7. Jul 4, 2008 at 2:47 PM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:

First on the 3rd video it’s pretty apparent that it isn’t a snap cap that caused the malfunction.

Second I’m not condemning the use of a semi-auto in this thread by any means.
    I have said that I use, prefer, and carry semi-autos. I offered my opinion to a new person to guns asking for a recommendation for an inexpensive, reliable, travel in the car, self defense firearm.

Third, Bambooshoots, as I review this thread to see what I might have said that made it seem personal to you is that recommendations are 10 for a revolver compared to 7 for autos at this point. I had to throw out the 50 cal. Cut’em-in-half pick.

I really don't know why you think I'm disagreeing with you at all. I just wish you would read my replies for what was written instead of what you want them to say. As I said 9 others on here recommended revolvers as well.

That being said I think it’s great that we can agree to disagree and also own firearms. These as well as all our other freedoms granted us on this JULY 4TH Holiday.

8. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I think you are correct that they werent "snap caps". Many times they remove the slide lock spring, which causes the slide to randomly lock back when shooting, much like she was experiencing. Who knows. :confused:

9. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    After watching and RE-watching the video, it very well could have been a "snap cap" as the pistol went into battery, and had a FTF. Regardless, the little girl handled it WELL. :)

10. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    bambooshoots

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I saw a few limp wristed jams between the three videos.

Hey, when you shoot 1000 rounds in two days, it takes a toll on you. If you notice the sun it looks like it was right about in the middle of the afternoon. She was probably getting tired.

11. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:34 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Perhaps. The only reason that I think it may have been intentional, is that I have tried to get my Glocks to jam via "limp wristing", by shooting with a 3 finger hold, and they have always fired. My buddies son, 12 yrs. at the time, Always had a limp wristed malfuntion with his Dads Ruger, but when he fired my G22, it never missed a beat.

12. Jul 4, 2008 at 4:00 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    Amen Iso, im basically the same way. i bought my first pistol a year ago. its a used ruger 357 revolver. its a bit hefty in size but the center console in my truck is a perfect fit. i dont recomend caring it on ur side tho. but like everyone here is saying theres different guns for different folks. my girlfriend and i just went though the awful process of finding her one for her car. she picked up HUNDREDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! of pistols all of different shapes calibers and sizes. she ended up with one of the smallest S&W 38 caliber revolver ive ever seen. but she loves it just because she can hold it so comfortably and its simply a point and shoot gun. i tried to get her to get an auto just for the round capacity so if she missed a few times but she hated all the safetys and levers and crap on them, said they were confusing. the best advice i could offer you would be to hit up a couple buddies to let u shoot there pistols if they have any or go to a simple pawn shop and hold a few different types til you find one ur comfortable with. but i gotta agree with Roland and say IMHO the 357 revolver is the way to go. also if you dont want to kill s/o right off you can load just about any pistol u get with snake shot. its basically a shell full of pellets kinda like a shotgun. probably wont kill s/o but if ur first round is shot in the face of the person and u hit him with snake shot then id bet hed turn and run and if he didnt ud have the REAL rounds rite behind it.

13. Jul 4, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    You are more than welcome to come out to San Antonio and shoot off a few clips of my wife's Glock 19. If you wait a week or three, I will have the Glock, and she will have a S&W MP9.

:p

14. Jul 8, 2008 at 11:48 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/out.php?url=http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

Did this to my M&P in 9mm and it now breaks at a very clean 4# with improved reset. For carry I'm not going under the 4# to the 2+# he says is possible. Still haven't got to the range to funtion fire yet. I'll keep you posted.

15. Jul 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.

Dude, as cool as that is, I think it totaly is just gonna confuse the guy who wants the "basic & reliable" pistol....:p

16. Jul 9, 2008 at 9:37 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    You're right and it was meant only for 007 as he is getting a new one.
    I should have left it in the gunsmith thread only. :eek:

17. Jul 9, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm confused. What's going on?

Don't worry, I can't check that site from work because it is weapons related.

18. Jul 9, 2008 at 11:58 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    About 4 threads ago 007 made a comment that he was keeping his wife's G19 and getting her a S&W M&P. I threw in a link to a pistol shops web sight on a "do it yourself" trigger job on the M&P. It was intended for 007 but I can see how it is over kill and doesn't really belong on this thread.

I know nobody ever derails threads on this forum. ;)

19. Jul 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    .38's are underpowered. if your getting a revolver, go for a 44 special. a heavy slow round with alot of stoping power and not much kick. in fact, there is very little kick when compared to a .357. i had a .357 that would bruise my hand if i shot it enough

personally i would go with a glock. simple, reliable and in the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range and more capacity than a revolver

20. Jul 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm going to shoot with my father in law. He has a 357 magnum. I'll see how I like it. I doubt there will be much kick because he has a big barrel.

Products Discussed in

To Top