1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BATTERY FAILURE 3 YEARS

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Gfritz1, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Feb 1, 2021 at 4:49 AM
    Vmax540

Vmax540 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Clarion PA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4X4 Access Cab Blue
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 WhiteTacoma TRD Offroad
    I don’t disagree, but how many hundreds of thousands of block heaters are plugged in with a 110v extension cord this time of year?

Taco_mike73 likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    Puddle_Jumper

Puddle_Jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bruce County Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017' Tacoma TRD Off-road DCSB
    Bilstien 2/1 level kit with 5100’s front (top setting) and 5160’s in the rear Ecgs bushing Prinsu cab rack Bestop Cali raised ditch lights Rago fab bed stiffeners Rssw heritage wheels with 32” ko2’s Westin bed mat Pro grille and tail lights Led dome, map and licence plate lights
    Mine did same thing 2 years old and 72km so out of warranty
    2017 offroad

4. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    auskip07

auskip07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA SR V6 , 4X4, AUTO, 4.88, 265/75 r16
    i always go with the battery with the best warranty. Maxx at walmart 3 year replacement and 5 pro rated. No reciept needed.

5. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    desmodue

desmodue Unsprung member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    My OEM 24F was still performing well when I replaced it at 5 years. I never charged it, used a battery tender or other maint. charger. I did cover the posts and terminals with silicone grease, the posts were clean and shiny the day I took it out. Clean connections are the most under valued aspect by far.

If you look at some of the expensive batteries that people swear by, you will see brass posts instead of lead, they don't corrode at the same rate bare lead does. I'll keep the lead posts clean and keep an extra $100- $150 in my pocket.

NuckTrutz likes this.
  6. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    tractorfarmer123

tractorfarmer123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    I guess it is more the sensitive electronics in those battery charger units and just having it mounted in the vehicle when it is just as well left in the garage. Especially for something using 1 amp 12V.

7. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    bacon_st

bacon_st Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    16' Taco TRD sport
    This has happened to me in the past.
    It wouldn't start at low temps.
    When it happened to me the first time, I lost over 2 hour and almost called an expensive tow, but eventually started.
    Someone here told me, when that happens next time, to put my head lights on, and that would warm up the battery enough, after 10 minutes I could start my truck.
    And it worked.
    Another option is to buy an expensive AGM battery.

8. Feb 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    Tremors834

Tremors834 Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Offroad DCSB
    So is it OK to swap over to an AGM battery from stck non-AGM battery?
    Some threads I've read seem to indicate the 3rd gen smart alternator does not charge at a voltage high enough to properly charge AGM.
    I may have misunderstood though.

9. Feb 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    Skidog1

Skidog1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD 4x4 Sport DCLB
    My original 2016 battery died yesterday at 11 degrees. I basically had to chop off ice and snow to open the hood. Stupid northwest Indiana weather.

10. Feb 6, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I've had batteries last 10 years, and some last 10 months. The one I paid the most for is the one that lasted 10 months. With anything electrical life is hard to predict. 3-5 years is typical so you were in the ballpark.

It is heat that kills batteries, not cold. It is just that you find out they are bad when it is cold. A compromised battery will still start a vehicle in warm weather.

Taco_mike73 and The hammer like this.
  11. Feb 6, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    OrangeRa1n

OrangeRa1n Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD-Offroad 2021
    I thought it was weird hearing about all these Northerners with bad batteries... I've had batteries go bad in under a year in Texas; on most cars I've had them last 2-3 years without a trickle charger or garage.

The longest-lasting battery I've had was in my Dodge Charger, I'm guessing since it was located in the trunk. The OEM battery had over 6 years on it and was still going strong.

12. Feb 6, 2021 at 11:23 PM
    bacon_st

bacon_st Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    16' Taco TRD sport
    It's always OK to move to an AGM battery. Those things can be expensive. AGM Group 31 batteries are closer to $400+.
    Although there's a brand called Extreme, which broke off from NorthStar which makes batteries too which I hear are more economical. Odyssey batteries are quite popular here.
    You can run down an AGM battery completely, and still charge it up. I don't think you can do that with our typical lead acid without a battery tender.
    And no, the stock alternator is fully capable of charging an AGM battery, it's a 130Amp alternator *(on tow pkg models), it's the ECU that prevents it from doing so.
    The Tacoma ECU is programmed to charge the battery at 12.5V where as AGM requires to be charged 14.4V or 14.5V. So an AGM tune is required.
    What usually people here do is, go see a VF flasher, and when they get their OVTune, they also get the AGM tune along with the OVTune.
    The stock tune of the truck is shit anyway, and Toyota is too proud to admit it, and acknowledge it because it hurts their ego and their brand.
    Orange Virus guys put a ton of hard work into it, years of calibration to make the tune. 10s of thousands of miles of driving too to perfect it.
    The tune is totally worth every penny. If you're upgrading your battery to AGM, it's better to get the AGM tune along with OV tune maps.
    AGM batteries is a level up from Lead Acid, and the next level up is a Li ion battery, which is even more expensive.
    Li ion batteries can be recharged 1000+ cycles, and is not affected by heat, and doesn't droop voltage as the battery runs down unlike other batteries.
    They should be recycled at end of life safely as the metal in it is 100% re-usable.
    You can look into BattleBorn batteries if considering Li ion, but they need special electronics and hardware to re-charge.
    Edit: Just want to add that you don't have to require an AGM tune. AGM battery can still function properly, it just won't get fully charged is all, which is totally fine.
    The ECU doesn't fully charge the battery than it would like to, which is still fine, not end of the world.
    In a way, its' better for the battery too, as many batteries last longer when it's at 50 to 80% charge capacity. Most batteries are stored at 50% to 70% charge for this reason.
    While it would be ideal to have a fully charged battery, the AGM still works fine with stock ECU tune as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Tremors834[QUOTED] and rsimi72 like this.
  13. Feb 7, 2021 at 1:16 AM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    I used Walmarts Maxx for a few vehicles and they all failed around 3 years.
    Switched to Advance AGM Battery size 24F - 710CCA $158 also with a 3 year warranty. You can always get at least 20% off and often 25% by logging into their site and putting one in your basket they exit. They will send you the discount within a day then buy online and pickup. Yea you have to wait a day so may not work for some.
    My Jan 2014 AGM is a backup and holds a charge still after 7 years (sits under workbench and taken for long off road trips).
    Use stock towing alternator without any problems or alterations.

NuckTrutz and Tremors834 like this.
  14. Feb 7, 2021 at 2:26 AM
    Fire

Fire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Humboldt County
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma with Poverty Package.
    Steering wheel
    The hammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 7, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    OrangeRa1n

OrangeRa1n Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD-Offroad 2021
    You definitely do not want to run an agm or traditional lead acid (they are both lead acid technically) all the way down. While an agm can handle a lower discharge, you cut its life significantly. Keep the battery topped to avoid adding cycles to its life and you’ll avoid the problem altogether. Also, it’s more damaging to keep an agm in a discharged state for a longer time than it is to discharge and immediately recharge it. Lead acid/agm are almost 98% recyclable, while lipos are not.

lithium ion/lipo batteries have a life of 200-500 cycles but can reach 1,200+ by lowering cell voltage. They are affected by heat and cold but usually have a high “C” aka discharge rate (they can push a lot of current at once). They hold a much larger energy density but are volatile when exposed to oxygen (think Samsung phone that exploded). They suffer voltage sag but are the general direction everyone is going in. They also require a special charger as each cell needs to be balanced.

There is a new Solid-state Lithium sort of battery in the works that will be safe (unable to release all of its energy at once) and last up to 5,000+ cycles.

Edit: sorry if this is not very cohesive, I’m on my phone

Tremors834 likes this.
To Top