1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery Help Please - 24F vs 27F

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by t-frax, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Dude you trying to go around the subject.
    Did you look in PDF? It says right there on page 2 whats the difference in power between 27F and 24F If battery is build correctly 27F is bigger battery all around..
    Yes I wrote 24F is too small because it is. Thats why Toyota changed specification and 2009+ trucks with V6 come only with 27F. (its also in Toyota pdf)
    Can he run 24F? Of course. As long as battery is new he can even run 12V mopped battery. Thast not the point. Correct battery is 27F and if he boils 24F battery Toyota may not warranty truck or battery because it is wrong size.
    Now you can provide all examples of chipo batteries you want. But the fact is correctly build 27F is bigger then 24F. It has more plates and it has more electrolyte. It can get charged with higher amperage and it can dish out more power. Its there in Toyota PDF document.
    Thats why I don't buy cheap junk batteries. My original 27F battery is still running as the backup power conditioner for my generator. I replaced because I don't keep battery over 5 years. But it was still good.
    Duralast, Interstate are the chippo junk that lasts few years and its completely dead after that..

2. Oct 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  3. Oct 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Interstate is a battery distributor and not a battery manufacturer. The manufacturer is Johnson Controls who private labels some batteries for Costco ("Kirkland"), Interstate, Toyota plus dozens of other battery dealers and distributors. Johnson Controls is the largest lead-acid car battery manufacturer in North America.

Max is correct about the CCA and RC differences in between 24F and 27F. I would add that the 27F battery case is larger but the terminal placement is the same. CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) performance is primarily function of the coldest ambient temperature you operate in and the compression of the engine. In SoCal the only place you will notice a difference in performance is high in the San Bernardio Mountains in sub-freezing weather. RC (Reserve Capacity) is greater on a larger battery and affects you only when the vehicle's charging system can not produce enough power to satisfy the electrical load. This difference is taken from the battery. The capacity of the battery will determine how much power can be removed. You are correct that heat kills a battery (due to accelerated grid corrosion and sulfation). Cold reduces the performance (electrochemical reactions) within a lead-acid battery.

If you add a high powered audio system, lighting or a winch, you might consider installing a dual battery system to prevent drain your starting battery. Electrical loads in vehicles have been increasing, so the OEM charging system capacities and batteries have gotten larger, e.g., BCI Group 35 to 24F to 27F to 65. In some cases, LiIon batteries are replacing lead-acid starting batteries to reduce the size and weight. I recommend using the largest battery that will fit because there is more capacity. More CCA performance in hot climates can be a waste of money because the battery will only produce the current that starter requires while starting based on the resistance of the starter motor. For more information on batteries, please see Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.battery.org.

Lester Lugnut and Norton like this.
  4. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    t-frax

t-frax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    Thanks for the info. My only concern is that is having a 24F battery safe if the orignal was a 27F. Like i mention all i have is some aftermarket cheap walmart fog lights (used as reverse lights), cig lighter dashcam, cig lighter phone charger and tow package. I just wanted some confirmation that a smaller batter than what i had isn't going to fuck up something in my truck electrically.

5. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Round II

Round II Member #12005

Member:
    The battery (24F) will be completely safe and without getting in the middle of whats going on in the last few posts I will say that when my 27F went dead my local Toyota dealer sold me the 24F which they said was correct? Anyway, 6 months and another dead battery? These results are from personal experience and not from charts, PDF's or anything else! I now have been running a Yellow top for 4 years and still going strong which Im sure people will say OH NO OPTIMA yet how I use this Optima places a high demand on it and no issues yet.:cool:

20120903_122245_f23dc0ca90d567a7602a35bfc881d3fc19bb4de7.jpg

Well, I hope you get a longer use out of that battery and again as far as safety goes you're good!:)

nova423 and taco06 like this.
  6. Oct 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i think a proper fit is important for a battery. bums me out that costco doenst carry the correct size for either my tacoma or porsche 911..best battery bargain ever. i think i paid $75 for my wife's battery.

if you can secure the 24F so it doesnt bounce about..i bet you can get years from that thing..

i'm still on my OEM battery in my 06 truck..so i feel the pressure of impending failure..soon.

7. Oct 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    Yeah 24F battery is secured with the tie down directly centered. Definitely won't be moving anywhere, its tied down good and tight. Who you are getting a hell of a lot of usage out of your stock battery. i would switch it out now if i were you. My battery was fine one day and just out of the blue no start, just like that it happened. so start shopping now for one while you got time and not like me and rush to the point there i had to get what i could at the moment.

8. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    Good point.

9. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Battery tray copycat... :cool:

10. Nov 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 11/7/2012: So after hearing from all you guys I figured the 24F was okay to use even though the ca and cca weren't exactly the same as the 27F. I left it as that, but emailed Longo Toyota just to make sure. All I wanted was a reply of yes or no if it was okay to use the smaller battery since they are the ones that gave me the wrong info on my stock battery in the first place. No answer. And after 7 emails later, still no answer and that lack of customer service to a simple question just pissed me off. So I sent them one last email stated that for all my years of loyalty to Longo this is how they treat me by ignoring me. I stated if they don't respond to my 8th i will take my complaint to Yelp.com. No response so i posted my complaint there. I even stated I don't want anything in return, I just want a straight answer and for them to now acknowledge that one of their guys there did indeed give me the wrong battery info. Well after my post, their Parts manager calls me and offers to replace my battery with the right size and I get to keep my battery i bought....and they are sending a tech out to my job to bring the battery and install it so its more convenient for me so i don't have to drive down to them. Whoa.....that is customer service. I didn't even mention anything to her about wanting anything in return, she just offered me the battery replacement. I give her and the tech who came out some mad props right there for going above and beyond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scottalot likes this.
  11. Nov 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    Nothing more powerful than a well written complaint. Well done

Calion likes this.
  12. Nov 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    lol decent

Guess you better revamp that yelp posting! Sucks that's what it took though, but hey, free battery!

13. Nov 8, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    396tears

396tears Well-Known Member

Member:
    this is a very interesting thread
    with a lot of good discusssions
    and information
    and a great ending for the op

my thread vote for 5 stars

14. Nov 8, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Tow package gets a bigger battery and alt. Many campers also have a charging system built into the 7 pin hence the bigger alt. to charge two batteries.

15. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    If you decide to keep you old battery, you will need to float it or recharge it every month to three months (depending on the ambient temperature) due to it's natural self-discharge. Otherwise, it will sulfate and loose it's ability to accept a charge. Lead-acid batteries are perishable. For more information of sulfation, please see Section 16 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.

IMHO, if it took contacting YELP after eight attempts to receive a response, that dealership has some serious challenges. If the manufacture date is more than three months old, I would recommend you have your new battery tested. (Please see Section 7.6.3.) Most battery dealers or auto parts stores will test your battery and charging system for free.

Calion and Norton like this.
  16. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    t-frax

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    I'm a reasonable guy so i offered to take down my yelp complaint after my new free battery was installed. felt bad just because the lady and tech went out of their way to help me even though they weren't the ones who caused the issue. so i deleted my old yelp complaint and posted a new one praising those two that helped me naming them by name...afterall customer service that good is rare nowadays so i think those two should get some recognition from their company.

But your right about how it took a yelp complaint to get their attention. so said companies do that. Even the place where i work at i see people treat customers like shit sometimes and the only thing that will make the managers do anything about it is a JD Power survey by the customer. so sad.

Yeah the lady who helped me said that all my email compliants got sent to the Sales dept for some reason and instead of forwarding it, they just ignored them.

I'm going to try to return the battery today. It is a Kirkland bought at Costco. I bought it on Oct. 23, 2012. Hopefully they'll take it back. I know they have a really good return policy but i don't know if the same applies to the car batteries. Anyone here happen to know?

17. Jul 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    chop

chop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    byron
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 dclb TRD Sport 4.0L
    3"lift , arb front bumper,ome 886 coils, icon xrt leafs goodyear duratraxs firestone air bags
    i was looking at the kirkland batteries as well . would it be better to go a size bigger rather then smaller. i live in a cold climate up north and could use some help picking the right one .
    would like something in the 800 cca range. what group or number to look for ?

18. Jul 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    ^^^
    Very True :mudding:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  19. Jul 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    24f has about 600 cca and was for the 3.4L
    27f spec if for 710cca (per interstate site) and was for 4.0L with tow.
    A smaller battery is put in the 4L non-tow package vehicles for 2nd gen but unless you're doing serious hauling x-country/mountains with a couple tons and trailer brakes, relax.
    You're good

Added Info: From Batteries Plus site example for 2nd gen '06...
    2006 V6 4.0L 585CCA except Cold Climate or Tow
    2006 V6 4.0L 710CCA with Cold Climate or Towing Package

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  20. Jul 20, 2014 at 4:34 AM
    tibadoe

tibadoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Gladys, VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma SR 4X4