1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery life thread: How long has your factory battery lasted?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 6spd, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Jul 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    6spd

6spd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    My battery died today, and I couldn't get it jumped after work. Had the cables hooked up, and the starter would sound like it was grinding with each turn on the key. Fortunately, I was able to do a roll start on it and get it going. During my 15 mile trek home, the radio would cut out, due to the battery, I presume, but the motion of the vehicle kept it alive until I had parked in my driveway. I'm about to get a new battery, hoping that the solution is that, and nothing else.

The only thing out of the ordinary, was I had the radio on a little bit longer(20 mins, versus 10 mins) than normal with the engine off, before I went in for work in the parking lot. Funny thing is, I went out for lunch, and the truck ran fine. I have nothing aftermarket installed, just a radio.
    Anyway, till now, I have just over 3 years on my battery, just a bit outside of my warranty period by 3 months. How long has your OEM battery lasted?

2. Jul 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    Houston

Houston Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Well my battery on my old '13 lasted just under 2 years before it crapped out, it was a batt problem so the dealer replaced it for free. Similarly, mine just up and died one day, ran great at lunch, Dropped it with the car washers at the office, came back at 5 and wouldn't start. I was able to get a jump however and keep enough of a charge on it start it (barely) the next morning.

Yours sounds like you have some other issues going on. The battery is only used for starting the car, not for operation. All the power for everything (spark plugs, radio, lights, etc) comes from the alternator, not the battery. You might have a bad alternator, but even that wouldn't cause these exact problems, do,r maybe but not all. I'd run to your local auto parts store or dealer and have them check the alternator, battery, and go from there. If either is bad you can buy a new one right there.

3. Jul 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM
    6spd

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I did fail to mention, one of my DRL's were out, and I was too lazy to replace them both. Had the bulbs, not the time to do it.

I am hoping it is not a bad alternator. that would really suck... will update in the (near) future

4. Jul 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    6spd

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    After installing the new battery, I also replaced the drl bulbs. Unfortunately, the left one is still not working. Thought I Had a burnt bulb, but looks to be more than that. Left turn signal flashes at 2x speed inside, while outside, the front turn signal does not light up. This issue probably drained my battery.

5. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    Houston

Houston Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Yeah that sounds like some sort of other electrical issue. Wish I could be more help but this sounds like more than a simple battery or alternator problem. Good luck to you bud, let us know the final outcome.

6. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    6spd

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    replaced bulbs in my drls, and they both work now. that has been eliminated, thus far, in terms of potential issues. we'll see how this battery performs.

Houston likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    My battery lasted 3 years. Then I got into high performance stereos. Killed it in 3 months. Now I have an Optima Yellow top going on 4 years, and no problems to report.

8. Jul 3, 2015 at 3:37 PM
    6spd

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I have a habit of listening to the radio 10-15mins before exiting the truck before I go in to work.

9. Jul 3, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    It lasted 2 years almost on the nose lol... Left me stranded actually lol... The battery had an internal short in it.. The OEM batteries are junky... Replaced with a Deka battery, so far so good

10. Jul 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I replaced my OEM in my 07 after 5 years. There was nothing wrong with it. I figured I was on borrowed time and winter was coming. Probably would've lasted a lot longer.

11. Jul 4, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    1967FB

1967FB Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue
    Stock
    My 08's original battery is just dying now so feel it has more than served. Use regular lights for DRL and never turn them off by switch. Door opening kills them automaticallyGoing for the yellow Optima and was wondering if anyone had CCA/CA specs on the OEM as the Optima seems a little low at 620/770, respectively. Thanks for a great forum!

12. Jul 6, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    6spd

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I ended up getting a new alternator and installing it(what a pita). in hindsight, I should have kept the battery and bought a trickle charger to charge it, but I had such a full plate at that time. hopefully the new alternator will solve this issue. it's a shot in the dark, but we'll see. as for the core, I'm thinking of getting it rebuilt to a high output alternator, locally

Houston likes this.
  13. Jul 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    mine crapped out on me 4years into owning the truck. The weirdest thing, I drove the truck fine and without a problem. I got home, went into my house..........then, when I was going to go to the store, I went to crank the truck and nothing.....completley drained. This is the first battery to leave me dead in the water. All of my previous vehicles would slowly struggle to crank........but this one did itso abruptly.

14. Jul 6, 2015 at 11:20 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    My 04's battery lasted 7 years or so. I was surprised, I guess that's not normal...

15. Jul 6, 2015 at 11:44 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    3 yrs and change and still going strong on my 12 Tacoma factory battery.

16. Jul 7, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    That's an internal batter short. Thats what happened to me, only I wasnt home lol

17. Jul 12, 2015 at 4:40 AM
    zonian

zonian Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4X4 - Pyrite Mica
    Raptor 4" Black Oval Nerf Bars, Hard-Wired Uniden RD9XL Radar Detector, Anytime Fog Light Mod, 12V Power outlet in Bed, Tailgate Anti-theft Mod, Distinct Offroad lightbar, 2 Hella Micro FF Driving Lights, 2 Hella Micro FF Fog Lights, Rear Slider Window Opener
    My OEM battery only lasted about 2-1/2 years.

18. Jul 12, 2015 at 4:54 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    4 years at 40 below zero with a command start . Replaced with 27f and 1000 cold cranking amps and the big 3 upgrade .

19. Jul 12, 2015 at 5:07 AM
    RBTaco

RBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 RC 4X4
    Trac rac, tow hitch, fog lights, tonneau cover, Texas Edition rims, custom console, weathertech floor mats.
    I had a 99 f150 whose original battery lasted for almost 12 years. I was gonna replace it for safety after 8 years but then it became more of a lets see how far this thing can go. I sold the truck after 10 plus years and the next owner had gotten another year plus out of it

20. Jul 12, 2015 at 5:09 AM
    TimsTaco

TimsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Moncton, NB
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB SR5 Sandstone Metallic
    OEM Fog lights, headache rack, work lights, Tailgate Theft Deterrent (hose clamp), Tailgate Reinforcement, Roll'n'Lock tonneau cover, OEM Inverter
    Mine just died yesterday like some of the other ones mentioned here. Friday, it was working fine (no problems), then yesterday it wouldn't do anything. It has got a temporary smaller battery in it (held with bungee cord) for now until I get a new one. Any suggestions?

Products Discussed in

To Top