1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battle Scar on my 2007 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 5862007, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 at 5:10 AM

5862007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x2
    I was running some errands at a few shopping centers yesterday afternoon and, when I returned to my 2007 Tacoma in the parking lot, I saw that someone had swiped the back bumper of the truck right next to the license plate. Pictures attached where you can see what happened, but there's a long white scratch on my black bumper and the bumper is just slightly dented in.

It's not hugely noticeable, but I do wish that whoever hit my truck could have at least waited until I had owned it for six months. What an idiot!

It's the first "battle scar" for the truck, as the money to fix this bumper scratch/dent probably won't meet the deductable. Just the same, I'm going to inquire.

How much does it usually cost to fix this sort of thing?

Tacomascratch08 001.jpg
    Tacomascratch08 002.jpg
    Tacomascratch08 003.jpg
    Tacomascratch08 004.jpg
    Tacomascratch08 007.jpg

2. Jun 5, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh Gawd, I would go ballistic if that happened to me! I baby my Tacoma and that would just send me through the roof!!

3. Jun 5, 2008 at 5:36 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Man, sorry to see & hear that happened to your new truck. People don't want to own up to stuff today. I park some freaking far away, but sometimes I can't & worry about crap like this. Hope you are able to get it fixed.

4. Jun 5, 2008 at 5:39 AM
    mags

mags Member

Member:
    Bremen, GA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    I have had mine 6 months and I have 5-6 dents from baseball sized hail and I was rear ended 2 weeks ago on the interstate. The bumper and hood on the camaro that hit me was fubar, but my bumper is only dented a tad and the paint slightly scratched. It should be easy to fix and good as new(i hope.)

I love my truck, but I'm a bit concerned about it being cursed...

5. Jun 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    850 to 900 to replace the basic black back bumper and it's supporting parts.

6. Jun 5, 2008 at 6:30 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    They dont "repair" chrome bumprs you have to replace them. I have a chrome one on my 2001 and I paid $370 for a brand new one from Toyota and had it installed at my friends body shop but you would probably pay a couple hrs labor which is around $300.

7. Jun 5, 2008 at 6:35 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    People are such fricken idiots. When I'm out and about - I park WAY out in east Africa if I can. I swear - when I'm done shopping, there's always something parked right next to the truck. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, you can't protect it all the time.

Have you called your insurance company? Perhaps you can get that fixed - pending your deductible......

I know how ya feel.....I owned my truck for only 7 months and I got rear-ended. ARGH!!

8. Jun 5, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    The funny thing is that it was probably an 80 year old blind guy that didn't even know he hit you.

9. Jun 5, 2008 at 8:20 AM
    tjdriscoll

tjdriscoll Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07, Tacoma Std Cab, 2WD, 5-M, 2.7 L I4, Indigo
    OEM Foglights, iPod adapter, Bedlights-Underbody lights, more to come soon.
    if you have a black bumper (as i do) then you can use a piece of black electrical tape to cover the scratch/ chipped paint until you want to get it fixed. (it will also prevent the metal from corroding. I got rear-ended in a snow storm last december when my taco was only 3 months old! I was really pissed. but i understood that it was an accident. So, now i have a small dent on my rear bumper which i can live with (i still need to paint it though). Although one thing that was really funny is that the guy who hit me was driving a honda civic 2-door coupe, and it looked like he hit a brick wall. his hood was all bent up and everything.

10. Jun 5, 2008 at 3:33 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    +1 for parking at the end of the lot and walking! I have about rubbed the white letters off of my tires sucking the curb as much as possible. I know what you mean, you park way out in BFE and when you come back some POS is parked next to you. Kids and teenagers are the worse for just slinging open the car doors. They have not had a taste of responsibilty yet and basically just don't even think about such things as denting a car door.

I had to run through some fresh concrete cutting water at an intersection. I had just hand washed this beast 2 days before and you should have seen the mess that beige concrete mud made on my Taco. I know I obsess about this truck and crap like this but hey I have NEVER had a vehicle this expensive before and I plan on it looking new in 3 years from now! I have had it about 26 weeks and washed it about 24 times. If you wash it every week and wax it every 3-4 months the paint will stay looking new for years to come. I look at it as good exercise for an hour and a half on the weekends. :)

PS. My neighbors think I am a clean freak I guess, nope, just want my new truck to look that way as long as possible.

11. Jun 6, 2008 at 5:09 AM

5862007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x2
    Thanks for the helpful replies, y'all. I figured that it was a matter of replacing the chrome bumper and not repairing it, so to speak.

I also park a long way away from stores, but this was one instance where the parking across the lot strategy didn't help very much. I still park a ways away, though, and I usually like to back into parking spots whenever I can so that I can just pull out when I leave...but the consequence in this case was that the person hit my truck from the parking spot behind me. Hey, better back bumper damage than front bumper damage, I say.

I take comfort in the knowledge that the other person's vehicle was likely damaged much worse than the sturdy bumper on my truck was. The hit came low, which means that it was probably a car sitting much lower than my truck.

I'm inclined to just let the truck stay as it is right now and wait until someone rear-ends my truck even worse before I replace the whole bumper.

...and, because I live here in Atlanta, someone WILL eventually rear-end my truck and damage the bumper even worse. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when it does happen.

12. Jun 6, 2008 at 6:39 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I put grills on mine. If bumpers are made to collapse, let it be the other guy`s. I left my steel snow plow rack on the receiver hitch; good decision.
    Folks do not tail gate me in town anymore.
    The front has police push bars. They are not getting through that.
    I leave plenty of room. A car length does not matter. An unsafe lane change gets my attention. And gets you a cite. I also have red and blues.
    Signal, and give me a moment and I`ll let you in.

Products Discussed in

To Top