1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Cover Recommendations

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BikeTruck, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    BikeTruck

BikeTruck [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Dallas
    Evening folks,

I have a 08 double cab with the short bed. Now that the truck is paid for and Uncle Same is sending me some cash, I would like to buy a bed cover. I am going to hold 4 mountain bikes on top of the cover. All of the biking/camping gear would go inside. To mount the bikes, I will use Locking Blockheads by Yakima to hold the forks. I have not figured out how to hold the back wheels yet.

Based on my friends experience, the best way to fit 4 bikes is left to right instead of front to back. The first back would be about a foot from the cab with the fork to the left. The second would be another foot back with the fork to the right. The last two would follow the same idea. For weight holding ability of the cover, it would need to hold a person as bikes are tossed up to be loaded plus the four bikes. I figure 300-400 pounds would be good. My first desire is a single piece metal cover that is secure and waterproof. As long as the cover can be removed when needed, I am not too concerned with what is required to remove it. If it takes an hour and is a pain, okay.

Right now, I am leaning towards a DiamondBack SE cover with the Line-X option. Does anybody have one of these? Since they are pretty expensive, I would like some opinions before I drop the cash. If someone knows a better option, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

- joe Y.

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Check out Undercover. I have no experience with them at all but I know a lot of folks on this and other forums love them. It would be what I'd buy if I wanted a hard cover.

www.undercoverinfo.com

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    BikeTruck

BikeTruck [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Dallas
    UnderCover does make a nice setup. I talked to them today. Since I will be securing the bikes to the cover at a single point, every start and stop will cause the bikes to sway. It will be a little sway, but still motion. Both the gentleman at Undercover and I are concerned that the constant wiggle caused by the bikes will eventually crack the plastic. The gentleman recommended I use a roof rack system instead of the blockheads. The added cost of that is more than what I want. Undercover is out. Oh well.

Products Discussed in

To Top