1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Light Install Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Nick54, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jul 30, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I am preparing to install these lights under my bed rails:
    [​IMG]

I want them to activate in two ways, first from this tailgate switch:
    [​IMG]

Then from this dash mounted switch:
    [​IMG]
    The back of this switch has three connections 1 is power in, 2 is power out, 3 is ground for switch indicating light

Power will be provided from this fuse tap:
    [​IMG]

Can this be done using the two switches I am showing? and if so, how would it be wired? If not what needs to be changed to make it happen?

I took a shot at this diagram, tell me where the error(s) in circuitry are if there are any
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Jul 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    marksanctuary

marksanctuary Member

Member:
    Orangevale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4wd V6 Dbl Cab TRD Off Rd
    4x4 Illuminated Switch, Bed Mat, Maglite in the holder, Lots of Bungees
    The wiring diagram makes since. I wonder if the dash switch will illuminate when the tailgate activates the circuit.

Side note, what are the details on these lights? I would like to look at getting some too.

3. Jul 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
  4. Jul 31, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Anyone out here in TW have DC circuit experience that could either verify that this circuit will work or tell me I'll likely burn my truck to the ground and save my but by telling me how to wire it the right way.

5. Jul 31, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    UMBCrew

UMBCrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 6" Pro Comp Stage II
    6" Pro Comp Stage II, 305/65r17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT, Pro Comp 7033 17x9s, AFe Stage 2 Si, All-Pro Rear Bumper, Ultra-Guage, Kenwood KDC-X895, Kicker 6.5 2 ways
    I'm no expert but it looks like circuit might be ok I would suggest a relay after the switches and before the lights so that the switches them selves don't have to take the entire load. Maybe someone could back me up on that and provide some more info for you.

6. Jul 31, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Your schematic looks ok, i am wondering, if you want the switch to be the master though? What i mean by that, do you want the switch on the dash to be able to control the lights regardless of tailgate switch?

Edit, never mind, that is what you have drawn. And no it will not burn down your truck, LEDs are the safest illumination available.

7. Jul 31, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    No need for a relay, the load for LED's is 0.25ma they look like PLCC leds. These pre-fabricate led bars have current limiting resistors built in.

8. Jul 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Do you think it would be best to connect to constant power or acc. power?

9. Jul 31, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    UMBCrew

UMBCrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 6" Pro Comp Stage II
    6" Pro Comp Stage II, 305/65r17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT, Pro Comp 7033 17x9s, AFe Stage 2 Si, All-Pro Rear Bumper, Ultra-Guage, Kenwood KDC-X895, Kicker 6.5 2 ways
    Being in the bed I would personally connect to constant.

10. Jul 31, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Check out my sig for a write up

11. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Scalded_Dawg

Scalded_Dawg Not as new as my post count would appear

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stripped Steel and Sex Appeal
    Tacoma daily and 4Runner to play
  12. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    What's the advantage or difference between placing the lights after the switches in the circuit (as I have drawn the circuit) or before the switches (as this guy drew the circuit below)?

[​IMG]

13. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    His wiring allows the lights to turn on when the switch is turned to the tailgate position and the tailgate pin switch is activated, or always of, or always on with the switch with less wiring. If you wanted the tailgate pin switch before the leds with the spdt switch you would need more wires. If that makes sense

14. Aug 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Saw this product on Ozinum.com and thought it might be just the ticket to do what I want and still have additional connectivity to add other accessories later. Check it out and let's here your opinion.

http://www.oznium.com/remote-switch/tech

Products Discussed in

To Top