1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed light question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Redgrom, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Hello, i have already found a few threads reguarding. Bed lights but still have a wiring question. Every other light I have wired has been through a relay so they would only work when the ignition is on by using a relay. I want my bed lights to available without the keys. Should I jus wire it directly to my blue sea fuse box? I could run a relay off a always hot wire seams pointless. Am I missing something?

Sorry for the iPhone grammar errors.

2. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
  3. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    If you want it to run without ignition or lights on just run a in line fuse from the battery to the switch. Then from the switch run the wire to the lights. It should be like any fog/aux light wiring.

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    What is sea port??

5. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
  6. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Just make sure the switch has sufficient capacity to carry at least 130% of the current draw of the lights (and preferably more).
    A pair of 55w lights = 110w, 110w = about 8 amps.. you need a switch rated for 10a or higher, preferably 15a (fuse at 10a).

The relay serves two functions. It allows you to switch from a low-capacity source that is switched with the ignition such as your parking lights, headlights, backup lights, etc... without introducing a large current draw on that source....
    But it also serves to keep high-current conductors out from under the dash.
    So yes, it would not be abnormal to use a relay between the battery and lights, with the power source for the switch run from the battery as well.
    This would allow you to use a 6ga conductor sized for the full 30a capacity of the relay, to power devices drawing as much as 20a with a 25a fuse... all while running nothing larger than a couple of 18ga wires through your firewall fused at 5a and a basic auto parts store 8a illuminated switch.

That is EXACTLY how I wired my '06 Duramax.
    I installed a Pelican box in the shell as a sub-panel. It was fed from the battery by three 30a supply lines, which were routed into a bank of 6 relays.
    The 5 relays were connected via 22ga multiconductor cable to toggle switches in my overhead console. The switched side was fused at 5a for the relays.

The system switched a set of 4 Hella-500 on the roof (2 relays), a pair of fogs mounted to the front corners of the rack as "alley lights", a pair of amber strobes, and a pair of rear-facing white work lights.
    A 6th relay was intended to be connected to an inverter, but the battery drain on an inverter with a useful capacity made it more practical to simply use a Honda EU2000 generator.

Products Discussed in

To Top