1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed linered my rock sliders!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anethema, Apr 10, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I found my own answer by searching this thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/97960-sliders-what-should-i-paint-line-them.html

It turns out that the bed liner product will chip if its hit with rocks which is very common for those of us that have to roll without mudflaps. But so does all the other paint products out there.

2. May 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    except bed liner costs more than rattle can. bed liner looks a lot better, but mehhh I think i'll stick to rattle can

3. May 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    The bed liner we're referring to in this thread is the rattle can type. It is cheap and costs about $8.00 per can, not too much more than rattle can paint. ~ $5.00.

4. May 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    anethema

anethema [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Hey guys sorry just saw the reqs for an update.

Has held up fantastic. On the drivers side slider which has been painted the longest, I was not able to find a single chip.

I have gone through mud, some basic 4x4ing, quite a few miles of dirt road, and several multi-hour highway road trips with spring gravel on the roads. No chips.

See my thread here to get an idea of the offroading I was doing. Nothing crazy, but def mud and rocks being flung.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/153008-tacoma-did-well-4x4ing.html

Been up several mountains etc.

I have one tiny mark on it, which it will take a second or two to touch up, and that is because I dropped a big metal inverter and it hit the bedliner and scored it.

Even then, the material did not chip. It scored, like you'd expect bedliner to do..

So is it Line-X tough? Well no. But it cost me $8 per rock slider (one can), provides WAY more grip for stepping than Rattlecan, and looks great.

I took a cloth and wiped away the road grime and snapped some pics for you guys.

Here is the -under- side of my drivers side slider, like you said about a month after doing it ?

No chips or anything of the kind yet.

[​IMG]

Here is the small score dropping something on it made.

[​IMG]

A full month earlier than the sliders, I did the same treatment to my rear chrome bumper after using some 80 grit to scratch the crap out of it. Also 0 chips, scratches, or cracks.

[​IMG]
    The wet look on all of these is from the cloth I just used to wipe them. Sorry about the crappy iphone pics.

5. May 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    wow good to know! I may just do this then. Thanks for the info

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Here is another update... It did not survive the winter at all. The stuff on my bumper looks 100% perfect, but has totally failed on the sliders.

They are scratched and rusting over much of the slider, especially where I step.

Decided to just get them Line-X coated this spring. Rattle can bedliner/paint just won't cut it for sliders in this climate IMO.

I'll take pictures later.

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    The Napa undercoating (PRO line) has held up terrifically on my skid plate. It's expensive but I might try coating my sliders in that next as I've used everything else and it all just chips. I'm also thinking of adding grip tape to the support bars as thats where most of my rust is.

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    Very nice!

9. Jan 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Ya my bumper basically looks like the day I sprayed it. But I step on my sliders, the flap-less tires throw shit into the back portion, and the result is rusty areas on it.

With this I really can't recommend any DIY spray for sliders. I am going to try Line-X and see how that goes.

Products Discussed in

To Top