1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Outlet Time To Drain Battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jun 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    hey guys, I was wondering how long you think I can run just a couple things out of the bed outlet ( boom box and phone charger ) small stuff, before it would drain the battery to a point where we couldn't start the car.... i'm planning on using it for the boom box for like an hour to an hour and a half this afternoon in the barking lot before a Rush concert. Thanks..

If you think I should, we can run the truck a little to keep the battery charged, but it shouldn't be a problem I don't think...

Thanks for the help

2. Jun 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    Bump!

Would love to know this as well, planning a camping trip next weekend and will be running a sirius radio out the back.

3. Jun 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    You could always buy a battery tender. I dont think they cost too much. Which is designed to shut off and save enough juice to start the truck.

4. Jun 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    different things will draw more or less power from the battery and a slower or faster rate. taking the chance of my truck not starting isn't something I care to fuck with...just run the truck for 5ish minutes every 30 mins or so just to be safe...thats what I would do anyways...

5. Jun 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    +1. I've been on camping trips where someone with a truck wants to play the radio... they just start the truck ever 45 minutes or so. Seemed to work pretty well, we ran it for 3+ hours that way.

6. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Batteries are rated in terms of Amp-hours (A-h).

A battery rated for 100 A-h can supply 1 A for 100 hours, or 2 A for 50 hours etc. Multiply time (in hours) by load (in Amps) and make sure that the result is less than the rating on your battery.

As batteries get older I would have to assume that the capability of the battery to supply load for long periods of time diminishes.

I have run the strock radio with my CB on for hours at a time without an issue.

OP, if I were you, I would not be worried about the boom-box draining the truck battery. Just don't run the truck lights or have the heater fan running.

7. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Hmmm. I think I just fed you a line of BS. I think my explanation is more applicable to deep-cycle batteries, which would not necessarily be relied upon to give cranking amps after running accessories.

Here's a useful link: http://gbindustrialbattery.com/Battery_Options/AH_Ratings.html

I would still not be worried in your case though.

8. Jun 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If memory serves, car batteries have a "reserve capacity" rating in minutes. Usually around 100 minutes. This is designed to run the car in the event that the alternator stops charging the battery. Again, if I remember right, they are rating that amount of time based on 25 amps current draw. You'd have to convert the 120 volts draw you have to 12 volts to calculate that out, but I think the max draw on the bed outlet is around 4 amps at 120V, so around 40 amps max at 12 volts? If you have a boom box that pulls a couple amps at 120V, then the battery is going to be flat in about an hour and a half with no other draws running, like interior lights for example.

I think I've got that right. Hope it helps.

A friend of mine has a multi amp system in his Jeep that will flatten an Optima red top in around an hour at moderate volume. I have no idea what kind of amp draw that is.

Products Discussed in

To Top