1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed outlet

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blake2035, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Apr 29, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    blake2035

blake2035 [OP] Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Off Road Package
    Hey everyone, I am getting ready to use my bed outlet for the first time this weekend at the Nascar race in Richmond. I am wondering what other people have used it for and how often they need to start the car to keep the battery fresh. I am thinking about plugging a small boombox into it and then starting my car periodically to keep the battery fresh.

I also have an inverter that you plug into the cigarette lighter that I've used before. I am wondering if I should use the bed outlet or the inverter, depending on which one will draw less power from the battery. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Apr 29, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    The bed outlet is the same as using your inverter (depending on wattage of your inverter). The bed outlet has its own inverter in the center console between the front two seats.

If your inverter provides more than 400 watts of power, then I would say use that where necessary.

As far as how long you need to start the car to keep the battery charged, that depends on what you are running off of the inverter and how long you're using it. If you are just charging a cell phone, it'll probably run a while. If you are powering something that requires more power, you'll have to start the engine more frequently.

Products Discussed in

To Top