1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Stiffener Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Clemson55, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Apr 7, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    Clemson55

Clemson55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    Bumpers Front and Rear, Bed Rack, RTT
    Looking at options for bed stiffeners and am looking for peoples thoughts on what they have. I am looking at these 3 (links below), I like that they are all the taller version. I'm leaning toward the AOD its both the cheapest and the only one I've seen with a backing plate (unclear how needed that is but seems like it can't hurt). I couldn't find where anyone else on here has them though. If anybody wants to share their experience, please do.
    Total Chaos
    All Pro Offroad
    AOD Fabrication

2. Apr 7, 2021 at 11:40 AM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    looks like the backing plate is required - goes on the outside of the bed box - bolts pass through box side stiffeners / through box / through exterior stiffeners w/ lock washer/nut on back side for retention. I have type which does not use this method, but hey - they look like they should work fine. Maybe look for reviews and see what those who have them say. FYI - the others like the ones you are considering require a hole to be drilled - for a bolt / washer / nut fastening connection through the side of the bed. So either way you go you will have to drill for installation.

3. Apr 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Only thing a backing plate would do is prevent tear through of the bolts (not likely). There’s no real frame beyond the opening of the bed, just the thin web the exterior is bolted to that forms the tail light pocket. It might be possible though much more difficult to install a bracket on the outside and though a welded option there would possibly be better it’s not nearly as plug/play as the few holes we do have to drill from the inside. Mine are an improved copy of the total chaos version and are discontinued. TC goes all the way up and uses one of the top most bolts that connect to the web plus the 2 bed bolts and some intermediate bolts you drill into the sides.

4. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I'm sure they'll all be fine. I have the TC. Very well built and does it's job of keeping things straight and adding useful tie points.
    If I had to be picky of your choices, I'd still pick the TC. I like that the L is connected compared to the AOD. Also with the All Pro I can see debris getting stuck between those two angle supports at the bottom. I'm always washing down my bed from sand or dirt and things get caught enough as it is with the TC bed stiffeners.

5. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    SJBrown

SJBrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Bearded SR AC 4x4
    Tttacodan is a user on Tacomaworld that makes stiffeners. Relatively affordable. Great service. I love mine.

6. Apr 7, 2021 at 11:16 PM
    Mista_G

Mista_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
  7. Apr 7, 2021 at 11:33 PM
    omegaman2

omegaman2 Unknown Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4WD DCSB
    Juisebocks likes this.
  8. Apr 8, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    JeffBoyardee

JeffBoyardee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Seminole, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road Tacoma DCSB
    I like/have the Total Chaos version myself for no other reason than it goes up higher, and as a result has more extra tie down points. Functionally, I'm sure they all stiffen just as well.

9. Apr 8, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    Clemson55

Clemson55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    Bumpers Front and Rear, Bed Rack, RTT
  10. Apr 8, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    As much as I hate on All Poo, they're design seems to be the best with the most tie down points.

11. Apr 8, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    ksimms92

ksimms92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver TRD OR DCLB 4X4
    I have the TC stiffeners and I have no issues with them really.

One thing I did notice when installing them is that the metal in the bed where stiffeners go is pretty thin and although large washers are used to spread the load out more, the back plate of the AOD is a nice touch and would probably provide a bit more rigidity by sandwiching the bed completely.

Products Discussed in

To Top