1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Storage Locks - Optional Lock DIY

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by airkewled, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Jun 9, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    airkewled

airkewled [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Moab
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma DCSB
    This adds additional locks while retaining the OEM latch. I don't always want or need to lock it which is why I chose to deviate from @floridaoccifer writeup.
    I'll show doing this passenger side since that's harder than the driver side. Same same for the driver side, just more room and such so less to worry about getting dimensions and fitment correct.
    [​IMG]

Remove the 6 T30 bolts holding the bed box in. Squeeze the locking tab and remove the connector from the backside of the electrical outlet. If you're careful you can use a pick to disengage the zip tie and remove the wire.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If things are nasty, go ahead and hose them off. It will make the rest of the steps easier.

Get your locks, I used PN: U-9941 from Home Depot and some paper.
    *protip: if you look through the rack at the store you can find locks with the same key.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tape a piece of paper to the bed box cover as shown. I centered the lock left to right between the OEM latch and the outside edge so measure and mark appropriately.
    [​IMG]

To mark the top, put the latch on the lid and eye ball where it needs to be in order to leave a suitable portion sticking above the edge when in the up position. My measurements are show.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remove the plastic rib from the backside with a x-ackto knife. Be careful with it if you plan to stick it back on. It's not necessary but I did. It takes like an extra 2 minutes so why not.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Use an awl and poke a hole. It's soft plastic, make sure you don't stab your hand. Use a step bit (do not use a spiral bit as it'll work like poo in the soft thin plastic) and drill a 3/4" hole as per the directions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    *protip. if you magic marker on your step bit you can see it as you drill and know you're at the right step/width hole.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Install the lock. It has a little piece that you can install a few different ways to determine if you want to turn the lock clock or counter-clockwise to unlock.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Use a paint pen and put a liberal amount of paint on the leading top edge (as you turn it from the unlocked to locked position) and put the lid on the box and attempt to lock it several times. This will transfer a small dot of paint to the box compartment where you will need to cut out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Use a tool, micrometer, ruler, compass, whatever to transfer that dot into a line. Note that the dot will be the start point for one edge of the slot.
    [​IMG]

Hold the box cover proud of the box with the latch locked (in the pointed up position) and mark out where the stop position will be for the locking slot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Use a rotary cut off tool to cut a slot. Be conservative at first. Stop and install the cover and attempt to lock. It won't go but you can look through the slot and see where you need to enlarge at.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wanted a snug fit so I made my locking slot wedge shaped such that when in the full locked position the locking tab was tight against the plastic.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Use some glue and re-attach that plastic rib support. Meh, why not
    [​IMG]

Re-attach the wire connector, stop and marvel at the gauge of the wire running 400 watts, re-do the zip tie thing
    [​IMG]

Re-install the bed box into the bed and start all the bolts by hand, then zip them tight with your tool of choice.
    [​IMG]

You're done with the hard one. Repeat for the other side
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PS. Hi, I'm new, I'm Kevin. Not new to toyota, cars, performance, 4x4 just new to this forum.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. Jun 9, 2016 at 7:42 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    Good stuff!

Products Discussed in

To Top