1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beginner Fishing Gear

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by mastripo, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Jun 3, 2022 at 1:37 PM
    mastripo

mastripo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So its been over 25 years since I last went fishing. All of my old rods, reels, and gear have been handed down, beaten down, or given away. Now my 9yo wants to go fishing, which is awesome, except I don't have anything to fish with. And boy...how things have changed since I last went out.

I want to pick up a rod/reel combo for us, but don't know where to start. Just went online and got my license, so I'm good there. I figured TW has been great for my truck, its probably great for fishing advice too.

Can anybody give a recommendation or two on:
    - decent, inexpensive rod/reel combo. Something that will last a couple seasons for me and something that my son can handle and hopefully grow into
    - basic tackle kit. I'm in central NJ and most of what's around us are small lakes, quiet streams, and a canal. We would most likely be going out for panfish and anything else we can pull in from the shore.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 3, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/quantum-bill-dance-special-edition-spinning-rod-and-reel-combo

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/shakespeare-lakepond-tackle-box-kit

I’d probably go with a light or medium light rod and reel combo, 5-6’ long at around the $50 range. That should get you pretty decent quality stuff that will last a while without breaking the bank. You could buy individual tackle or a basic starter kit depending on how much you remember about fishing that area. Put a worm on the hook, toss it in the canal or pond and start pulling in bluegills and the like pretty easily.

3. Jun 6, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    mastripo

mastripo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. Don't have a Bass Pro Shop around my parts. Probably taking a trip to Dicks this week to see what I can get.

4. Jun 6, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    Good news, all the things you did and used 25+ years ago, are still just as useful. The gear may be outdated, but the principles are still the same. For a young kid, nothing beats a zebco33 combo type setup. Its easy, low maintenance, and lasts a lifetime. Something to note, in this current fishing market, these companies are fishing for fishermen, not fish. All the fancy marketing won't catch a fish. My suggestion is get a cheap zebco combo, get out there, and test the waters. No use in spending 100's of dollars on gear if your boy might not even like it. As you fish more, replace what doesn't work, or put your money on the things you'd personally like to have, not what the market tells you you need.

5. Jun 7, 2022 at 7:01 PM
    TreeBass

TreeBass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get a old telephone.

6. Jun 11, 2022 at 3:34 AM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    Its awesome that your 9yo wants to fish. Im from jersey also and I think I started fishing around 10 and got hooked on no pun intended. But any rod reel combo will work . I have really expensive set ups and and also fish with $50 combos that I’ve gotten from dicks or wallyworld. Basic set up some bobbers and worms and maybe some small artificial grubs that the bluegills will hit all day long.for your self grab some senkos and some swim baits. You mentioned central jersey area . Mercer lake is a great place to go . Princeton area has a bunch of small ponds especially in corporate business parks. There usually the best place to fish . Google earth is a great tool to find them . If we ever cross paths fishing I would be more than happy to set you up with gear that i have . I way to much tackle. Good luck and post some pics

Products Discussed in

To Top