1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beginning our build on daily driver fly fishing rig.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Future Tacoma, May 17, 2013.

1. May 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    Future Tacoma

Future Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Purchased a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD
    Stock at this time.
    Hello everyone,

My wife and I just purchased (7 days ago) a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD V-6 5 speed automatic short bed TRD Off Road pickup Barcelona Red with 15 miles on it.

This is going to be her daily driver and on weekends we will use it to go flyfishing, snowshoeing, skiing, etc. in CO. UT. WY. and MT. We will not be using this vehicle for rock climbing. We will mostly be on forest service roads, etc. That being said I am not looking to use this in high speed offroad situations mostly getting over rough deep rutted trails and not tearing up my wife's new vehicle.

At this time we don't plan on pulling a travel trailer or pop up, but who knows someday we might.

I have already picked out a G-4 Elite Cover, bed mat, Weatherguard tool box, Weathertech floot mats front and rear, locking fuel cap, Katzkin seat covers front and reat, and a few other things.

I am going to put on either B. A. M. F. sliders or CBI rock sliders, but I have not yet decided.

I want to put on an ARB front bumper (we will not need a winch) and a Kaymar rear bumper. I want some heavier duty front and rear protection when I am getting to our fishing destinations.

After we wear out the stock tires I would like to go to a set of B. F. Goodrich or Goodyear Wrangler tires, but I want to stick with the stock wheels at this time. What size tire can I go to and still utilize the stock rims. I would like a slightly taller tire not necessarily wider. We get a lot of snow here and wider means poor traction imo. I may eventually put on some fancy wheels, but that is way down the road.

What skid plates do I need? I have read to replace the front skid plate immediately and to install a skid plate for the oil pan also. What brand and which ones do I need? I am concerned about climbing over fallen trees, ruts in the roads, etc. I don't want to kick something up and take out the oil pan or transfer case.

I have read so many posts on here about different brands of lift kits, components, etc. I am lost. I would like to get a modest 2" maybe 3" lift. I want a top quality brand and would like to hear your suggestions. Brand, components, etc. I don't want to sacrifice load carrying capacity.

I prefer to not spend money 2 or 3 times.

Sorry for the long post, but it seems like everyone on this site likes helping others so I thought I would give you as much detail about us front.

Everyone have a great weekend.

:)

2. May 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
  3. May 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    R09ster

R09ster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    debadged, Bilstein 5100 all around (fronts at 1.75" sport coils), Skyjacker softride 1.5" AAL, Firestone Ride Right Airbags, 17X8.5 Method NVs, 285/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, US Offroad hidden winch mount, grillcraft grill, Sypder Auto projector headlights, blackedout LED taillights, bed extender, bedrack w/CVT Mt Shasta tent,

Products Discussed in

To Top