1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Belt Squeakin again.... so so so so upset.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lthompson, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    Lthompson

Lthompson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    4th belt in 2 months. New Balancer, new Tensioner. Works fine for a few days, and starts squeakin. Been fine for 4 days.. Started chirpin today. It starts as a light chirp, and within a day or so its a full on squeal. I don't know what to do.

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Sounds like something is shifting out of alignment with the belt, like the A/C compressor, or something else belt driven. Make sure everything is dead straight in line, and all the bolts are tight. The new tensioner might be bad, it does happen from time to time...

MTopp and 12TRDTacoma like this.
  3. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    alternator will squeak if the bearings are going out, water pump too...

kgarrett11 likes this.
  4. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    It only has 60k, shouldn't be havin to replace anything. pissin me off like crazy! How can something just "move" out of alignment when everything is tight? and everything spins freely

5. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    D-Rose

D-Rose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 dcsb tx pro
    You would think after the 3rd belt you would realize it wasn't the belt. Try taking it off and spinning all the pulleys.

Lord Helmet, MTopp and kgarrett11 like this.
  6. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    I had a Celica with the belt squeaking, tried everything, last resort was belt dressing, problem solved.

outlawtacoma likes this.
  7. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    Might not be your issue but you can try a continential elite belt, formally the goodyear gatorback. Got one on mine and its had no problems. Theyre designed for keeping noise down from misaligned pulleys, etc., as far as I know.

I had a random squeel on cold start with the factory belt that was annoying so I put this belt on. I also thought initially that it was the lower idler pulley which is known to squeal. Hasn't made a noise sense, and hopefully will prevent any future ones

Edit: When its squealing squirt the inside of the belt with water, if the squeal stops its the belt or belt alignment issue, if it doesnt then start checking pulleys. That might not be the correct way but I saw it on the infamous youtube and it saved me from buying and installing a new idler pulley, stock belt only had 35k on it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Feb 14, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    ive done all this. Ive spun the pulleys, ive replaced stuff. Ive sprayed with water. I ruined two belts with conditioner, not even touching that stuff again. Its not any of the idlers. it only squeals on the ribbed side. Everything is tight, everything spins freely. The sound was coming from water pump right where it comes off the tensioner onto the pump pulley. I could push on the belt very lightly and it would stop. So I replaced the tensioner thinking maybe it was causing a alight alignment issue. How can anything be really be misaligned if its all tight? THe ac pulley doesn't move... its at the only place it can be. Its not coming from the alternator pulley. And it too is at the only place it can be. The power steering pulley always has a very slight in out movement in the shaft, which is normal.. ive checked, so that isn't the issue. I verified that the balancer was the same. And its torqued tight. How can the water pump pulley move? it bolts up solid. if it needed aligned you would have to put shims behind it. none of it makes any sense. Im tired of throwing money at this thing I tell ya

9. Feb 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Could the bearings in the water pump be going out, allowing the shaft to have some front to rear movement? Sounds like you have narrowed it down to somewhere close to the water pump...just askin...

10. Feb 14, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    man I just really don't know. Really don't wanna have to replace the dang water pump now. Real tired of having to work on this thing. I bought it to NOT work on it. And had to work on it more than anything ive owned.

11. Feb 15, 2017 at 3:50 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    My son is a Lexus Certified Technician and does a ton of work on Toyotas too. I had the same issue when I replaced a belt on one of my Toyota products with an aftermarket belt. He took one look under the hood and said "It's not a Toyota belt. Replace it with an OEM belt and your problem will be solved." I hate to say it, but he was 100% right.

Lord Helmet, TheCookieMonster and 1MK like this.
  12. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:01 AM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
  13. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:12 AM
    Lthompson

Member:
    It is an OEM Toyota belt.

14. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    water pump bearings can squeak with not much to no play in them. Does it have a clutch fan?

15. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    Are you putting the belt on right?? I thought I did before but after triple checking I put it on wrong.

16. Feb 15, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    This is of no help, but if a new belt quiets the noise for a few days, it can't be a bearing, can it?

17. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    that's pretty much my understanding.

18. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    how can you put it on wrong? honest question, unless something isn't in the right groove... Which it is.

19. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    Yes its a clutch fan.

20. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    You don't have any coolant leaks in the area, even very small ones, do you? A few drops of coolant will ruin a belt and make it squeal, and it's a one-way street. There is no way to clean it off and save the belt.

Also, did you remove ALL traces of the belt dressing from when you used it before? I use brake clean and a wire brush to clean out the pulley grooves for any contamination like that.

Products Discussed in

To Top