1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BenWA's version of a power sliding rear window retrofit >>>

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenWA, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sep 2, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
    jkib,

can you post pics of the cut storage bin?

2. Sep 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    if it can be done with minimal hacking of the bin i'd definitely be interested. post some pics!

3. Sep 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    jkib

jkib Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC SB
    Bilsteen 5100's, Weston steps
    Hopefully I can get a picture attached. I trimmed a square where the motor mounts to the rear cab wall, and about an inch off just below where the track mounts to the window frame. Used a jigsaw and knife after putting bin as close to wall and marking where to make initial cuts.
    Hope this helps. Oh...and window is just great!!!

P1040178.jpg

4. Sep 19, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    wildmank99

wildmank99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Chicopee Mass
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5 4x4 3"lift with 33's and sounds
    08 sr5 4x4 3"lift with 33's and sounds
    Ben

Just installed the your kit was easy and yea the rocker switch was a bizzzzatch made one cut and didn't like it so I mounted in next to fog light switch and the kit runs cherry my back window slider seal is jacked up on the pass side so had to take it out and make some new moldings will show it off to all the boys here in Hawaii I'm sure they will want one to

5. Sep 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Payment sent. Another Mod I can't wait to install when I get back from the sand. Plan to do almost the same as jkib, except I plan to fab up a cover to put over the motor to protect it, will use plastiweld to bond it to the panel....

6. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Thanks for the update man! Glad you got it installed and everything is running smooth!

7. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chris! You'll have a kit awaiting you when you get back on American soil. :)

8. Oct 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    If you wish to keep your rear storage cubby, you can mount the motor directly to the cubby itself. Here is a mock-up pic to get an idea of what it would look like:

DSCF1500_1a47a03405b147ba6c805487b9f095167349003c.jpg

9. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:11 AM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    is that the rear cubby in an access cab or an aftermarket sub/speaker? i know my 2010 DC doesnt have a speaker right there. anything that keeps me from cutting up the bin would make me more interested in this thing though. would love to use that window more.

10. Oct 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:

That's the rear cubby in a DC with factory JBL subwoofer. What does it look like back there in your DC? Would you mind posting a pic?

11. Dec 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    BenWA - You still making and selling this mod kit? I'm also interested if I have to trim the bin's top to make the bracket line up right.
    Thanks!

12. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    hey sorry i took a while to respond just saw this request: took some pics now but it's dark out, lemme know if you want some daylight pics, i can fold the whole seat down out of the way too if you want. Also excuse the paw print blanket, my lab sheds like crazy

[​IMG]

13. Dec 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    I am, although the design of the kit has changed considerably since this thread was posted. Check out my other thread in the buy/sell forum with updated pics:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...er-sliding-rear-window-quick-install-kit.html

The kit does require some trimming of the top of the bin, but it's easier and quicker than it probably sounds. The kit includes templates and instructions about how to do the trimming with a hand crosscut saw, a utility knife, and a straigtedge. It took me about 15 minutes to do the trimming. :)

14. Dec 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Awesome, that's perfect. Thanks! No need for daylight pics -- that bin is pretty much identical to the other bin with the subwoofer cover, minus the subwoofer cover itself. Since the upper portion of the cubby is the same in both versions, the window kit mounts in exactly the same way in both.

15. Dec 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    now just come up with a version where i don't need to hack the hell out of that thing and i'm sold on it! i really want one but don't wanna hack it up, i use those bins all the time for all sorts of things that would get hung up on any loose parts

16. Dec 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    The hacking involved is pretty minimal. It's pretty much a 3/4" wide strip that needs to be trimmed off the top edge of the plastic, with a couple of small notches at each end, and that's it. The templates help keep the trimmed material to a minimum. The cables tuck out of the way pretty nicely and are secured to the bin with snap guides.

DSCF1542_d2c2ecbf3a9551a965bc930c01bf0db88ee32981.jpg

I do appreciate that many people don't want to do any cutting/trimming/hacking of anything in their trucks to keep them as pristinely stock as possible. But in my opinion a little trimming job is a small price to pay for being able to have a rear window that you can actually use whenever you want to. That's JMO.:)

17. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
  18. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    haha agreed. just waiting on the funds for this one and then i'll pull the trigger. pretty sure the dog would appreciate being able to stick his head out the back

19. Dec 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    Much thanks to BenWA for putting the kit together for me. Had a great time and linked up with BenWA to do the install because I am a noob. He took some other pics and notes to make the install instructions more clear, but here is the final install of the storage bin and my switch location. Getting the switch into the front of the dash was a little painful, but not really that difficult - just a lot of plastic to work through. I like that location better since the passenger can reach it as well. What is great too is that as you look in the mirror, the switch moves the window in that direction to open (right arrow to open and it all slides in an intuitive way). Ben's a good dude and I owe him beer for the job he's done intellectually, manufacturing, putting the kit together, and (for me) installing. Works great and I am really happy with it!

DSCN2191.jpg
    DSCN2190.jpg
    DSCN2192.jpg
    DSCN2195.jpg

20. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the good words, Greg. Was great to meet up with you and help out with the install.

When the warm weather rolls around again, I think you'll be able fully appreciate how handy the mod is. :D

Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top