1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beretta vs Sig arms

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by beastlytaco, Nov 17, 2009.

?

beretta M9 vs Sig Saur P228/P229

Poll closed Dec 17, 2009.
  1. Sig Arms

57 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Beretta

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. some other gun that the military uses that is just as good

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    well the way i look at it is if u see special forces and delta and civilian contractor like blackwater and triple canopy the dont use the m9 they all use something else me personally the only reason the m9 is a good weapon for the army is because they're are too many stupid people that dont know squat about guns over here and without all the safety features it has they would shoot themselves in the foot everytime they drew it lol me personally the army should go back to the 1911a1/1911 thats what i carry everyday in the civilian world and its never failed me

2. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I have used and carried both at one point or another. The beretta M9 is a great gun. Extremely reliable and accurate BUT the 9mm round (or .40) are NOT inherintly effective manstoppers. The military went to 9mm for two reasons, NATO ammo and political correctness. The Sig however, comes in nearly every caliber and configuration imaginable. Including the always reliable .45 ACP!! (Why do I carry a .45..... because the don't make a .46!!!)

3. Nov 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's pretty complex to explain all the different things that come into play- but it basically boils down to what mission we are doing at the time.

We carry .40cal during non-DoD missions. The USCG is not restrained by posse comtatis so we do A LOT of missions that do not fall under DoD purvue.
    Some units do go on DoD missions and those get issued M9s and carry 9mm ball to comply with the CGs. They also have to take the OC Pepper spray off their belts- but we use it stateside occasionally.

4. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Tint, sliders, puddle pods, on my way to more….
    I have a sig P229 and love it, never owned or used the berreta.

5. Nov 18, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    dbronzo

dbronzo Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    But they do make a .50

6. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    wow...great responses guys...and wasnt the reason the military uses 9mm field points instead of hollow points because of an old law that prevents the unethical killing from usage of hollow points or something like that?

and another question...concerning the Sig...i know the coast guard uses .40 cal preferbly for the non DOD missions, but how accurate and about whats the maxium effective range on a sig vs the M9?

7. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My Sig is consistantly 2" to 3" smaller group than any of the Berrettas I had.

8. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    at what distance? 25? 50 yards?

9. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    25 yards. I have managed some incredible shots with my Sig, where as I couldnt do the same with the Berrettas. For example....I shot a Hot wheel at 125 feet with the Sig after 2 shots, where as all I could do with my Berretta 96 was scare it. This was when Camping, and why a friend had a Hot wheel is beyond me....

10. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    hahaha....really gave a new meaning to the term " hotwheels" LOL..125 feet....wow.

11. Nov 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    It was pretty impressive. A few of my buddies said they could hit it before me, and they grabbed their .22 rifles.....I got it first with the Sig. :)

12. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And I think between NATO rules and Geneva Conventions non-hollow point 9mm bullets are the "standard"
    I've shot from 3meters to 25meters and was consistently better...I scored higher with the SIG than my best score with the M9 all but first two times I shot it.

13. Nov 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    Having carried LEO for 15 yrs the SIG 228 and having qualifed with it the accuracy is impressive right out of the box and never had an mechical issue.
    I also own SIG 220, Colt 80 series, & Glock 21, but prefer the SIG's out of the box.

14. Nov 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    The use of "expanding projectiles" against military forces of other countries was banned in 1907 by the Hague Accords, hence no hollow points, soft points, etc.

As far as the Beretta vs. Sig question, both are very reliable and accurate handguns. I've owned both. The Beretta has gotten a lot of shit thrown its way b/c of military stories regarding slide breakage issues, feed/extraction issues, etc. Most of these were the cause of inferior metallurgy techniques used to manufacture the slides and non-factory magazines.

However, I will admit that the Berretta is more complicated than it needs to be. It uses a movable locking block with wing type protrusions to lock/unlock the slide from the barrel. This is the most breakage prone part of the design, but is also pretty cheap and easy to replace. The 92FS also has pretty small sites and the front post is a fixed part of the slide making upgrading difficult.

Other differences include the open slide design of the Berretta vs. traditional ejection port on the Sig. Not a huge deal, it's more aesthetic than anything, but get enough sand and crud on the Beretta and it will hang it up for sure.

The Beretta also uses a slide mounted safety vs. the Sig's frame mounted decocker. The Sig's design is more convenient and easier to operate IMO, but I don't like how they reversed the positions of the slide release and decocker from the traditional placement that started with the 1911.

Both guns are superbly accurate and reliable in both 9mm and .40. My other beef with the Sig though is the grip. It uses to plastic pieces that meet in the rear that forms an ugly seem and can pinch your hand sometimes. Not a problem with the Beretta's all aluminum grip.

Trigger pull is pretty blah on both guns, mostly because I am spoiled by my custom 1911 triggers. Double action pull is tolerable on both, right around 11-12 lbs. I'll admit that the Sig single action pull is a little better than the Beretta. The 92's single action pull is kind of heavy with an obscene amount of overtravel.

Overall I'd say the Sig is a better package for the price, but you really can't go wrong with either. If you get a Sig just get a Hogue wrap around grip and you're good to go.

15. Nov 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    Just bought my first handgun which is a Sig P245. It is a compact .45 I got from my buddy for $400. The only problem is that I want a 2nd Sig already. I took my CHL training course yesterday. It is a blast to shoot and I am now drinking the Sig Kool-Aid! I am now wanting to get a Sig 226 9mm Blackwater edition.

16. Nov 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    does your .45 have night sights? or jsut regular sights?

17. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    Lane Cypert

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    It has night sights. The only drawbacks are the magazine only holds 6 rounds since it is a compact.

18. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    ahhh.well u gonna conceal with it?

19. Nov 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    Lane Cypert

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I think so but I am still determining what I will carry regularly!

20. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    98lowflyingtacoma

98lowflyingtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma Prerunner
    the bad thing about beretta is that it has the exposed barrel which can get mucked up... the sig is contained...

Products Discussed in

To Top