1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 3rd GEN Exhaust Systems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rgburke3, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Sep 16, 2018 at 3:07 AM
    rgburke3

rgburke3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Vehicle:
    2016 White 6 Speed Manual 4DR 4WD TRD OFFROAD
    AFE Momentum GT CAI, LED headlights, BFG KO2 265/75/16, BakFlip Tonneau cover
    I am sure there is a thread about this, but what is the best performance exhaust system for the 3rd Gen Tacomas? I do not really care about noise/drone too much, I just want best performance overall. I love my taco but it is under power. I did install an AFE CAI after which I did notice some throttle response. I know some people do not like CAI but having a 6 speed you do notice it between shifts.

Even if adding an exhaust does not add crazy power that is ok but what adds the most? I was looking at the AFE exhaust and the Borla exhaust. I am open minded to any company. I just want the most added performance gains overall and of course a cool beefy sound is a byproduct of it.

Thanks guys.

TacoBlancoOffRoad and KTJO 4x4 like this.
  2. Sep 16, 2018 at 4:25 AM
    inksin

inksin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 Off Road access cab
    Nothing is really going to give you much performance increase (I know this will be debated) all will give you a sound increase. Some will give you clearance increase and all will cost a purty penny.
    If you want performance then OVtune is the place to look or second would be gearing in my opinion. Everything else is just like adding a CAI, aggressive sound fueling hopes and dreams

jmneill likes this.
  3. Sep 16, 2018 at 4:33 AM
    Comb

Comb Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB 6MT BBP ABCDEFG
    OVTune Verified Purchase
  4. Sep 16, 2018 at 4:47 AM
    jmneill

jmneill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dixie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport ACC CB Inferno
    Yup.

Pretty much did the exhaust thing on every motorcycle, car and ATV I owned from the age of 15 to 35. Could probably count the total HP gained on one hand, factoring in the vehicles that gained growl and lost HP in the pursuit.

hiPSI, inksin[QUOTED] and Amanelot like this.
  5. Sep 16, 2018 at 5:23 AM
    KTJO 4x4

KTJO 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4 DCSB BARCELONA RED
    Nitro 4.88 Gears OVTune 1.05 91Oct DirtyDeeds Exhaust
    Definitely check out the thread mentioned below or in my signature. I know some people may not believe that performance will be gained by an exhaust system, but as the person that sits with this system currently on my truck, I would have to disagree with them. Just like @dirtydeeds memtions in the thread, anytime you remove the stock muffler in favor of a flow thru design, you gain that power. Therefore, magnaflow, Gibson, borla, will also gain this power. The key is, can you gain this ‘free’ power without losing low end torque and without droning yourself to death? Dirty Deeds has been around for a very long time, mainly working with Tundras. They definitely address both of those issues and that is exactly why we are developing this system for the Tacoma’s. The system consists of the following:

- True Duals all the way back with or without Secondary Cats

- Total Bolt On System

- 3-10hp 10-20 tq to the Rear Wheels

- 4 Part System: Mid Pipes, X Pipe, Muffler, and Tailpipe Sections

- All Sections come with Various Options

- Different Mufflers for Different Sound Levels

- Low Stock Crossover Pipe Re-Routed

- Exiting Both Pipes Behind the Rear Tire, Dumped Under the Bed/Cab, or with a Side Exit under the Cab

- Mandrel Bends: Aluminized Steel or Stainless Steel

- Stainless Steel is mostly 304 with some 409

- Flanges and Hangers are Steel with Option of Upgrading to 304

- California Smog Check Compliant

- Great Foundation for OVTune 3.5L Tacoma Twin Turbo

I definitely think as the word gets out there regarding Dirty Deeds Industries and what we are trying to accomplish for the Tacoma’s, this will for sure be the top of the line exhaust system. Thank you for mentioning it in this thread. :thumbsup:

6. Sep 16, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    Brostjoe

Brostjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    I have a Borla sitting on my garage floor. I ran Corsa on my Tundra, by far best sounding system for the 5.7L. At the time I bought my exhaust Corsa didn’t have there Tacoma system out or I would of bought that. Have always heard good things about Borla so I’m sure it will be descent for the little V6. Buy what ever system sounds best for what you are after and don’t worry about performance.

7. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    TacoBleu

TacoBleu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Pearl DCLB 2WD
    TRD Air Intake, Dual Battery, Kenwood head unit, speakers, Subwoofer, Leer camper, camping stuff, dogs
    If what you are looking for is performance, than the only thing you should accept as qualifying is an independent before/after dyno test. Everybody selling something will tell you it's the best there is, everybody owning something will use rationalization to justify their purchase. Only thing that matters is the dyno test.

Now, if you care about sound, that's subjective and there is no "best", so you can just listen to youtube videos or something I suppose. Other factors that might be important are clearance, ease of install, reliability. All of these users can speak to.

blu92in99, Skydvrr and inksin like this.
  8. Sep 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    407guy

407guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    407 area code
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB Cement
    Same here. Borla sitting in the garage and had a Corsa on our Sequoia and Wrangler Unlimited. If you're expecting neck-snapping performance enhancement with an exhaust you may want to save your money.

Brostjoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 16, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Come on, it’s a nice exhaust he built but stating the HP and TQ gains is BS. You did not dyno before or after so it’s just BS. For all you know it could have lost HP or TQ. It might sound good but you have no proof of anything with regards to HP or TQ.

Jukeboxx13, Skydvrr, hellppy and 5 others like this.
  10. Sep 16, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    You know I don’t know what your deal is man but for some reason you have something stuck up you know where and it’s like you have a personal ego issue going on with this new system. Like we are personally attaching you. I for sure know that I HAVE NOT lost any HP. I don’t need a dyno to tell me that PERIOD. The truck runs the best it has ever ran 100%. Plus, I’m pretty sure that a professional expert, like Keith at Dirty Deeds Industries, that has been building exhaust systems for many years knows wtf he is talking about and doing. I’m not asking you to purchase this system. I’m simply offering what I believe to be the best exhaust system out there on the market now. That is what the OP asked for and that is what I provided. That’s a funny statement about “it might sound good”. I hope to god you don’t go off of “sound” to determine what is the best performance products out their for our trucks. That’s just embarrassing if you do. If you need it to be Dyno tested, then I can get it Dyno tested at your expense. Just let me know

Gsxrgrl21 likes this.
  11. Sep 16, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    I absolutely know you get, at best, a few hp and only at WOT. How often are you there? I won't debate your feelings but unless you have actual tests, your word and your muffler guy's word means nothing.
    Glad you enjoy your mods but quit making unproven claims lol.

Skydvrr, hellppy, MMoreno16 and 3 others like this.
  12. Sep 16, 2018 at 6:45 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Again, don’t purchase the system

13. Sep 16, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Again, quit posting HP and TQ gains when you don’t know.

Again, you are the one trying to sell it. Prove it or stop posting it like it’s fact.

Skydvrr, hellppy, MMoreno16 and 2 others like this.
  14. Sep 16, 2018 at 7:03 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I’m sorry but I don’t have to prove anything. Relax about the system. I’m sure you can go purchase another system that will give you a Dyno test reading or you can stay stock. Whatever you’d like. Hell this is so fresh, I’m sure Keith will be doing some Dyno testing in the future. He obviously has done it with his other systems to know what he already knows. This system is nothing new to him. As it is, Keith stated an estimate of around 3-10 HP etc. It’s pretty easy to get a couple additional HP with stepping away from stock.

15. Sep 16, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    jmneill

jmneill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dixie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport ACC CB Inferno
    You're outing yourself further with each additional post. lol

16. Sep 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

17. Sep 16, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    TacoBleu

TacoBleu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Pearl DCLB 2WD
    TRD Air Intake, Dual Battery, Kenwood head unit, speakers, Subwoofer, Leer camper, camping stuff, dogs
    OP asked for the best performance exhaust. Performance is generally interpreted as HP/Torque. The only objective way to measure HP/Torque is a dyno, period. When you say "I for sure know I have not lost any HP" you are actually saying "My butt-dyno thinks I came out ahead". Unfortunately butt-dynos are notoriously unreliable and tend to be poorly calibrated. Note that other vendors that support performance products in this forum do post dyno results (which often we shouldn't trust completely, if they come from the vendor themselves, but I digress).

This is really nothing against your build, or you, or the folks who made your exhaust. It's just how you measure performance. You're absolutely right to point out you don't have to post any dyno result at all; it was your choice on the mod and you're very happy with it, cool. That makes it totally worth it from the only perspective that should matter. You really have to note on any claims of HP gains though that it isn't by specific measure, just the right thing to do when you aren't sure by doing a before/after.

Given that your vendor has plenty of experience on the Tundra side and a lot of success there, I'm sure when they are ready they will post their own profiles so people can get an idea of results. All good.

18. Sep 16, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    basshole

basshole Well-Known Member

Member:
    chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR MT
    I say, if you want an exhaust for this platform, get a brand you are most comfortable with. In the end, you may get some high rev sports car feel and sound.

What we really need, is tuning options. The only way to test and tune, is to play with the tune on a dyno, with your choice of configurations.

I'll bet deleting the rear cats would produce just as much hp as a cat back, maybe more.

I'm no pro and I'll hover around these performance based threads. But this truck could be a dog at times. But, it's a truck. Drive it like a truck :D

19. Sep 16, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    choose for me

choose for me Not Sure

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRDOR
    Flux Capacitor
    I like my Borla exhaust, and it's the same design as the TRD. Both Borla and Toyota have their claims to increased HP, but I can't say that I have a noticeable increase in performance. My TRD CAI and Borla exhaust have increased my truck's driveability and my driving satisfaction with better throttle response and control.

407guy and KTJO 4x4 like this.
  20. Sep 16, 2018 at 11:57 PM
    inksin

inksin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 Off Road access cab
    I got a Borla too. Didn’t get nothing out of it but sound but that’s the reason I bought it used off of CL, cause I knew there’d be no performance increase. Not worth the price if buying new.
    With that being said, I like the Borla sound. Little louder than stock and a bit deeper. Sounds good to me plus I didn’t put the back half (the piece that goes over the axle) on so I didn’t have to chop anything to get my shackle kit to flex when I get around to installing it.

407guy, jmneill and KTJO 4x4 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top