1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best AAL for 1.5" to 2" of Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by goufcustom, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom [OP] 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I have a stock leaf pack, no-TSB, for a DCSB, and I want to get 1.5" to 2" of lift in the rear with an AAL. What is the best AAL for ride quality, load capacity, and quiet, or just all around? I know an AAL is going to make it worse than stock, and an AAL is not as good as a new pack, but neither of those options are going to work, dont have the money to buy new packs, and I dont off-road that hardcore, and I want to maintain my lift. I have been leaning towards a progressive 3 pack AAL, like the Wheelers one, but then there is the heavy duty and regular one...? :confused: Is there a better all around AAL?

I have 5100s in the rear, and some random AAL currently, it has no friction pads and squeaks like hell. I have cleaned it and it still squeaks. I also added some plastic plates inbetween the leafs, but still have squeaks. I am getting a practically new stock non-TSB leaf pack from another member, and hoping that it is my bushings that need replacing, and a new leaf pack will solve that issue, and fix the fact that mine are a little worn out with 110k miles on them.

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You really can't go wrong with the progressive AAL. I've got the Icon 3-leaf, which I hear is very very similar to the standard 3-leaf AAL that's sold by Wheeler's. If you haul or tow, you'll probably want to go with the HD 3-leaf. My Icon AAL was installed into a TSB leaf pack and supports weight very well. I don't tow very often but when I do, it's usually something pretty heavy. Another perk with the 3-leaf AAL is, although they are more expensive, they come with new U-bolts and centering pins (at least the Icon did, I'd imagine the same is true of the Wheeler's version).

Edit: Forgot to add, I left the overload in place so I got 2" of lift. If you tow or haul, I'd recommend leaving the overload leaf in place.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    yep wheelers came with ubolts and a new centering pin. I like my wheelers 3 leaf non hd, i rode with the overload in place for a while and then realized it wasn't really necessary for my driving and hauling and I also had a bit of drive line vibe at takeoff so I took it out and am happy with the lift and ride with no more vibes (the vibes were barely noticeable...). See sig for specs.

~M

Edit: they also have not sagged hardly any in the 1500 miles i have on them, and there is no noise to report. I wheel them pretty good and they get good and muddy/dusty/whatever but I always try to wash after and they have remained squeak free thus far. They come with disks that go between the ends of the aal and your current pack to help with noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top