1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best budget offroad lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Country101, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    Country101

Country101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    I'm wanting to mount a couple of lights behind the cab of my taco to use as utility/backup lighting and when I get a bumper on use them for offroad lights. Most lights I'm finding are a little more than I would like to pay. Anybody have any suggestions for a good offroad light that doesnt cost much? Preferably something with low draw, but I'm open to anything at a good price.

2. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    I was in autozone the other day, they had a pair of "offroad" lights for around 40...I'm sure they aren't too quality, but if that's what you're looking for they're out there. I can't remember the name of em right now but I'll look for em real quick.

3. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    Really bright not bad priced and low draw check out ADVMonster.

4. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Blitzpro.com has affordable LED Bars too...check em out. I have the 21" bar and its super bright and only cost 160 shipped :) they have a variety of shapes and lengths too.

Good luck

5. Nov 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've had variations of both, for the price they do the job pretty well, and if they get broken, who cares? Not worth much for driving at normal road speeds (front mounted), but for utility/loading/backup, they work great. NAPA, Kragen, Walmart, etc will have them.

6. Nov 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    livel0veryde

livel0veryde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma based buggy
  7. Nov 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I swapped my stock bumper for an ARB a while ago, and it was bugging me that I couldn't keep the stock fogs.
    Or could I?
    Turns out, with just a little bit of drilling, our stock fogs fit nicely into a 4" black ABS dwv pipe cap. Have to drill a 1-3/4" hole for the bulb socket in the back, a (1/2"?) hole for the adjuster screw in the back (which can still be used!), and a (3/8"?) hole on either side for the pivot mounts. The lights pop right in nice and snug, and with just enough room to make some minor alignment adjustments.
    Next up for me to figure out is mounting them to the truck. For a quick mount, I'm thinking just using hose clamps. When I have more time I'll figure something else out.
    The stock 9145 bulbs won't fit after the work -- you'll need to swap them for 9005XS bulbs......which bumps your wattage up by 20 (45 watts to 65 watts).
    All this for less than $10 and about 30 minuts of measuring and drilling.

Products Discussed in

To Top