1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Dealership Salesman Quote You've Personally Heard

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Not always.. not every person that buys a car is a car or truck nut. I go to my buddies dealership all the time and half the people know nothing about the vehicles they are buying

2. Jul 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    it's truly sad that a large portion of the population can simply be talked into purchasing a car (not a phone, not a pair of shoes, not a couch. a fucking car) by the salesman throwing some stupid package at them or telling them stuff that may not even be relevant to the needs of the buyer. I bet you could have an average customer walk in to buy a used Camry and have them drive off in a brand new 4Runner. I wish more people were aware...in general.

3. Jul 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    I love the one "were losing money on this deal" yea right.

4. Jul 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    After talking to a Motorcycle sales buddy of mine...now I know, these guys have a certain number they'll go down to. It's usually several thousand below their asking price...so you just have to play hardball to get what you want for a good price

5. Jul 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    My wife bought a new civic after hearing about how great they are and they run forever, don't break down we went to the finance manager who proceeded to tell us why we need to buy extended coverage as these civics and all of the new electronics will fail and how expensive it will be.. Man was he po when we didn't buy the extra coverage.

6. Jul 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    When I was looking to buy a Yeep Cherokee for the first time I found the one I wanted on a used car lot. It has the 6 cylinder, and was 4wd and the sticker was 12k. I walked the entire lot to be sure there were NO 2wd Cherokees. Then I went in talking about how I liked the Cherokee on the lot there (pointed at the one I wanted) But it is a 4wd, and I really only want a 2wd (Yeah right, I wanted a 4wd!!) The salesman took $1000 off the sticker without batting an eye. He asked if I had a trade in because they guaranteed a minimum of $2500 trade in. I said no, I was looking at having a second vehicle. I kept complaining about the little things and how much I really didn't want the 4wd because I would never use it and the gas costs are higher. Eventually we ended up with a final price of 9k and he was going to throw in a few "extras" (which I could care less about, I just wanted a 4wd jeep!) Then right before final signatures I threw the curve....What if I was to go ahead and trade in my other truck? You should have SEEN the steam coming out of the finance guys ears! $2500 trade in later and I walked out with the jeep I really DID want, for only $6500! The bluebook on my trade in truck? $1500.

I always say when you find the vehicle you really do want, make sure that there are no other alternatives, then complain that you "really don't want the V6" Or that you "Hate manual transmissions". It is amazing how fast the price goes down.

7. Jul 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I've done this with every vehicle I've bought as well as when I went to help my brother and Ma. You have to play mental chess with them, so to speak. If you've got time to spare you can always get thousands off. Be the anti-salesman and get their hopes up for a sale, then almost walk haha etc. It's a fun challenge.

8. Jul 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Ugh. Wife went to Carmax to buy her car. I was SO disappointed. She's already made up her mind on the car she wanted without really talking to me(we'd agreed she needed a car and how much to spend...just not which model and where)...I sat in the car lol. Drove all the way up to Irvine on the pretense of visiting her sister...'Oh hey! Lets check out Carmax!' "Why? You can't haggle there" "well, I may have already put one on hold"........sigh

9. Jul 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I don't know if this is a common question, but had a sleezy salesman ask me this once when I was helping my mom get her new car.

This is after we found the car she wanted, had a price, and they took her car for trade appraisal.

SM. "So what are you looking to get for your trade in?"
    Me. "What do you mean, like a price?"
    SM. "Yea, how much do you want for it?"
    Me. "Well, I guess I want the most you'll give me. Is this a serious question?"

He walks back inside to talk to the manager. Comes back out 5 min later

SM. "Alright, do you have an idea?"
    Me. "Idea about what?"
    SM. "What you're looking to get for your trade in?"
    Me. "You're serious?"
    SM. "Yea, for the manager to get a better idea"
    Me. "Hundred thousand. Tell him I want one hundred thousand"
    SM. confused look on his face "You want me to tell him that?"
    Me. "Yep, I want $100,000 for my trade."
    SM. "Ok"

Goes back inside. Comes back in 5-10 minutes

SM. "Ok, here's what we can give you ....."
    Me. "Shame it took so long for that"

They lowballed us, much lower then I expected. After waiting around with all the other typical non-sense they put you through, then the trade value nonsense, I knew these guys were not the ones to deal with.

Went to the next town over with the same manufacturer and bought the new car there. Negotiation process was less then 30 min.

10. Jul 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    At least she informed you. My GF just up and bought a new car without even telling me. She makes good money, so I wasn't worried about that. I just knew she probably didn't get a good deal.

She drove by the BMW dealership, saw the car she wanted. Stopped, drove it. Paid full price. I was like :eek: + :mad: when she told me. I didn't ask her how much she paid, b/c I knew that I'd quickly calculate how many thousands she just pissed away.

11. Jul 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    My buddy had the same thing happen, except him and his wife barely make enough as it is. She just randomly decided one day to trade in her car that she was already upside down on...and I guess rolled it into a lease...so she effectively lowered her monthly payments...but only by like a couple bucks and she only has the car for a few year lol. Without saying a word to her husband. He was pretty pissed lol

12. Jul 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica TX Pro DC
    Stainless exhaust, 16" TRD wheels, 285x75x16 MTR Kevlars, Icon Stage IV, Icon Secondary shock hoop with adjustable remote reservoir bypass shocks, ATO shackle flip kit, AP U-bolt flip, AP Skids (IFS, transmission, T-case, diff cover)
    The salesman was trying to tell me about ATRAC--that was priceless: "It helps you get unstuck".

13. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    OSUbeaver

OSUbeaver Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '11 Superwhite DCLB TRD Sport
    2.5" OME w/ 886 Front & AAL Rear, Light Racing UCAs, 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch
    Serious question... The dealer that I bought my '11 TRD Sport from claimed "no hassle price" meaning they would not haggle and you pay what they ask. I did my research and found that they were truly offering a good deal (better than anywhere else... least per the sticker prices I saw). But I wonder if it was in fact true that they would not compromise at all on the price.

They had no stickers, you had to "step in to my office" to get a quote. Didn't feel ripped off, but then again I am honest and I expect honesty in return.

"No hassle pricing"... Real or BS???

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  14. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I mean...any dealer can claim 'no haggling' but I guarantee when push comes to shove, if they give you a quote an you counteroffer/play hardball, they're not gonna tell you to GTFO

15. Jul 5, 2013 at 3:32 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    When i bought my used taco it had the original stock dunlop tires and the salesman said " those are awesome tires"

16. Jul 5, 2013 at 4:41 AM
    monstertaco12

monstertaco12 Quack Addict

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Off Road
    My buddy was test driving an X-runner and after he hit the gas the salesman said "yeah this baby has a lot of pick up for a 4 cylinder." It was a Supercharged V6 and the salesman had no idea. He thought it was a 4 banger lol. Needless to say, my friend got a really good deal on it 2008 with 50k miles for 12k lol.

17. Jul 5, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    tacoriffic

tacoriffic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Clarion CX609 HU, Satoshi Grill, More to come
    My wife and just bought a new car. The salesman, a very nice guy, while waiting for all the paper work to be prepped, starts this story of how he never had a new car.

Then when we're in the car and he is wishing us luck with the new car. He starts in with this story about how last month someone gave him a 3 out of 5 on the customer survey. Which brought down his average for his overall customer satisfaction and he did not receive a bonus that month. How he was all bummed out over it, blah, blah, blah. I have bought a few new vehicles in my life, but never had a salesman say "make sure you give me all 5's, because ........"

Buddy I know you work hard, and its a tough job, but don't panhandle and tell me what to put on the customer satisfaction survey.

18. Oct 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I was helping a friend find a cheap/reliable older car. The guy helping us said if he could recommend us any car, pretty much the most reliable one we could find was a 90 something Chevy Lumina (because that's what he drives). Haha

19. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    MiniBike

MiniBike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sales woman told me the finance guy would cut me a better deal if I took the extended service plan. He did - told me that the regular oil changes were $150+ and they'd be covered for 5 years and if I signed up, he'd drop the interest rate to 2%. This was on a used '09. I did it, then went back the next day, met with the other finance guy and cancelled. He laughed and told me he and the other finance guy had a little competition going. Then we talked motorcycles for an hour.

Products Discussed in

To Top