1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best double din for the money

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by j1999t, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Oct 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    j1999t

j1999t [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    im looking to buy a double din dvd/nav deck and i was wondering what you all thought would be a good one to buy for the money, through your own experiences

2. Oct 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Can't really answer this without knowing what features are important to you.

3. Oct 11, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    jnolan88

jnolan88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i found some real good deals on ebay. i got a dnx-6140 for pretty cheap (brand new). it is not the top of the line or anything but it sure is nice. it's got every option i could ever need. garmin gps, blue tooth, dvd,back up camera hook ups, ipod connection, also plays movies from ipod, and more.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Oct 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    btacoma

btacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 trd offroad
    Pro grille Raptor lights Interior mods
  5. Oct 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    dieselstaco

dieselstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior
  6. Oct 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    If you're serious about going with a DDin, I would go with an Pioneer Avic-D3. The're a little dated but probably the best bang for your buck and there is a wealth of knowledge on Avic411. Just to give you an idea it is a DVD Multimedia AV Navigation Server. The Navigation works great, I use it all the time up here in Dallas with no problems and Pioneer updates the Nav disc every year, you can get them on ebay for $25. You can still retain the steering wheel controls using the PAC-SWI PS, all generation ipods work with it (ipod 5.5, nano, touch, etc.) of course you need to buy the ipod cord. You can hook up a rear camera, bluetooth, sirius satellite. Plays WMA, MP3, AAC, etc. You can control your subs, etc. There is a really great brake bypass DIY on AVIC411 so that you can control the NAV and watch DVDs while driving. You can also watch ipod video but only with the generation 5.5 ipods.

But IMHO the best feature is the fact that you can change the 3 different background screens with your own pictures. There is a splash screen when it first boots up, there is the Nav background screen and then AV screen. So for example if you are listening to the radio, you could have a picture of your truck or whatever in the background. This makes it really cool because you can customize it however you like. And there is a whole bunch of stuff and DIY steps on AVIC411.

So get an AVIC-D3 (probably can get one now for around $250-$350) and check out AVIC411 for all your install needs. Why pay someone else to do something you can all by yourself.

Oh yeah I absolutely love this radio, it really looks great. (I used to have an Alpine CDA 9883).

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    mceagle555

mceagle555 Tacoma Shrek

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 Impulse Red PreRunner DC TRD OR
    Metra iPod/aux; Rugged Cover Tri-fold Tonneau; Center Console Divider; AFE Pro-Dry S AF; 4-leaf TSB; Fumoto Oil Valve;
    Kenwood DDX512...under $300 on ebay with a TON of features.

8. Oct 20, 2009 at 12:25 AM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    That's what I got. It's alright .

9. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    ktm125

ktm125 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Chattanooga
    Vehicle:
    '10 4 cyl Manual Access SR5
    What's AVIC411?

10. Oct 23, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    bear-229

bear-229 Active Member

Member:
    South Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 DBL Cab TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top