1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Locking Hitch Pin!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by MPhipps, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Jul 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    MPhipps

MPhipps [OP] Member

Member:
    One of the first things I went in search of for my new ’09 DC Pre-Runner was a receiver ball mount and locking pin. After purchasing a stainless one made by Master Lock, I was surprised to find out that it didn’t fit due to the double layer of material around the receiver. I then checked the forum (I know, should have done it first!) and found out that this was previously discussed with a few options listed. Well, I headed back to return the one I purchased and on the way home stopped off at Sportsman’s Warehouse to see if they had anything. I was surprised to find exactly what I was looking for. It is made by LifeLong Locks and is made of stainless steel. It is a Class V hitch pin, and it wasn’t until I returned home and started to look it over that I realized how much better it was compared to all the ones I had seen before. To open the lock, you pull off the dust cover (seals very well) and using the key, give it a 180deg. turn (no screwing it off needed). The center section of the lock pops up and the end pulls straight off. To lock it back you simply push the locking end on and push in on the raised cylinder and it snaps closed. Kind of like a locking file cabinet. No key is needed to lock it back and no twisting or turning just quick and sweet. The key can be removed at any time. The shaft has two ball bearings that lock the end piece on. When the center cylinder is depressed a tapered pin running down the center of the shaft locks the ball bearings out into a recessed area of the removable end. There is an o-ring that seals the removable head to the shaft. With the dust cover in place I see no way moisture can enter this lock. LifeLong’s web site has a video on is use and performance that I highly recommend. They demonstrate how it outperforms other locks in theft attempts and they offer a lifetime warranty that includes damage due to theft. I thought this product was unique and deserving of it’s own thread. I am also not connected with this company and have no interest in it other than being a satisfied customer.

DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0178.jpg
    DSC_0179.jpg
    DSC_0180.jpg
    DSC_0181.jpg

2. Jul 20, 2008 at 2:35 PM
    MPhipps

MPhipps [OP] Member

Member:
    More Photos!

DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0184.jpg
    DSC_0185.jpg
    DSC_0186.jpg

3. Jul 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I have the master lock that looks just like yours. It came with a spacer sleeve for different hole sizes.

What do you tow with your Taco? I tow an 18' Ranger Bass boat.

4. Jul 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM
    MPhipps

MPhipps [OP] Member

Member:
    Not much yet.

I have a 10ft utility trailer for building supplies and a mower. I'm the process of building a workshop and making allot of runs to Lowe's/Home Depot. My previous vehicle was a '95 Jimmy and it didn't have the hauling capacity so I needed the trailer even more.

5. Jul 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Yeah! I know the Home Depot run. It is my 2nd home away from home.
    I just had a house built last year. Home Depot employees are very familar with me. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top