1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best mod yet...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigmooze, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Oct 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    looks great if you dont mind me asking how much did that shop charge you to assemble the shocks? i have to get the same thing done.

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 4:06 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    No not at all: it cost me $30 for both. Kind of a cash deal at a local family run shop. But I called around Canadian Tire and Goodyear and they wanted about $85 to do the same thing.

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    ok great i was getting around a 55$ bid to do the work i wanted to order the little rubber things as mine are dryrotted, not sure how when all the other rubber looks great, must be something I sprayed on the bolts when i did the first lift.

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    The truck went for an alignment this morning. I can wait to drive it!!!

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    they should only be able to be installed one way....
    just make sure you felt the centering pin slip into place and also make sure that when you tighten and tourque the u bolts to start off in a kriss kross pattern in a uniform manor

then cut the excess bolt off leave a 1/4" - 1/2" showing and your done:D

6. Oct 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Alignment is complete:

Camber is fine - LF is 0.52 deg, RF is 0.51 deg.

Caster sucks big time - LF is 3.42 deg, RF is 5.30 deg.

I'm going to get a second opinion... I thought the TC UCAs were supposed to bring the caster back :(

7. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    I drove the truck for a few hours this afternoon to feel it out.

I have some driveline vibration when taking off from a stop, I think it's between 15 and 25 mph. The harder I give 'er, the more it vibrates - so I'll keep my pull-aways conservative.

No sounds out of the ordinary from what I could tell.

Checked all the hardware when I got home, and only the U-bolts in the rear had backed off slightly. I torqued them back to 73 ft-lbs and trimmed them down some more.

Overall, so far so good. I just love how the truck looks now. 265 tires and about 2.5" of lift in the front/1.5" in the back go hand in hand.

My steering pulls somewhat to the left, but camber and toe are OK. I'll drive it as-is for now, as I don't want to drop another $100 on an alignment when the tire-wear is not going to be too bad with what I have.

Now - I want to wheel this thing in Michigan (closer than spots in Ontario).

8. Oct 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Why not just get the original shop to align it again? I probably wouldn't be happy with those caster numbers either. That shop should be able to get both sides around 3 deg.

If you want someone to wheel with, i'm down for wheelin' in Michigan (Bundy Hill OffRoad Park sounds cool!) anytime, just shoot me a PM.

Don't know if you've heard about SONTT (Southern Ontario Toyota Truck forum) but they're a great group of guys to offroad with. I've done a couple wheelin' trips with them now and had a blast both times! Definitely check the link out in my sig...

9. Oct 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Alrighty sounds good, I'll look into a free weekend and we'll arrange something. Yeah I've seen SONTT's site, I'm a member on there too but I haven't been out with them.

As for the alignment, I'm going to leave it for now. At least I have an alignment that keeps tire wear to a minimum. What I want is to take it to a dedicated alignment shop, which is what I should have done before. Oh well, hindsight is great. I still love the new ride :)

10. Oct 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    :( I have the front diff growling now. I would assume it's the driver side bearing. No fluid leaking from the seal though.

Going to talk to the dealership this week and see what they say.

11. Oct 23, 2010 at 3:49 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Update:

I re-installed the stock UCAs and lowered the settings on my front 5100's to 0" lift. The CV angles are back to stock now and the growling seems to have stopped.

I left the 1.5" TSB AAL installed with the 5100's in the back for less sag when hauling my ATV/towing. Still have the vibe when pulling away, but I can live with that.

12. Oct 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Another update:

Removed Toytec AAL yesterday. The vibe at take off is gone, but the stiffness has gone. The stock leafs need some support, so I will install Firestone Ride Rite air bags.

Also plan on adding an air tank for on-board air/at adjustment for the air bags.

13. Oct 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    let us know what happens with this.... i'm in the same boat

i had my front at 3" for a week or so before it started. It goes away completely in 4x4 and sounds like the drivers side.

I lowered my front to a 1.5" lift and its a bit better. I'm out of warranty so I got to find the cheapest way to replace the bearing. Hope its not like my rear wheel bearing that was $1000+

14. Oct 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    the growl might be the cvs.

15. Oct 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    I decided to remove the lift and return to stock without even going to the dealership. All growling/vibes have gone. I assumed that the dealership would have given me hassle, having spoken to the service manager. She said that if anything is wrong after the lift, and the lift caused it, the warranty would not cover repairs. Don't get me wrong, that is their prerogative, and we modify out vehicles knowing that things might work out.

As far as the CV's growling, it's a possibility, but I wasn't going to dick with it.

16. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    snorola

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    did you have a diff drop?

I'm going to put one in next week and see how that goes

17. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    diff drop doesnt do anything... it only rotates the front diff. it gives no real drop and cv angles dont change. not only that it rotates the rear of the diff up, which lowers the oil level at the ring and pinion...

18. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    dam i guess you should change the title now:D:D:D:D

19. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    speaks the truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:D

20. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    snorola

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    alright i will believe you guys :p

I messed with my coil overs again today and set them at about 2.5- " of lift. CV fins are not quite touching and the vibration/grinding from the front diff drivers side area isn't too bad compared to when it was at 3". I spun the wheels when it was jacked up and couldn't locate the noise from anywhere. Will just keep monitoring it and save money for repairs down the road...

sorry OP you had to take your lift off, i'm sure your truck still looks great with those tires anyway

Products Discussed in

To Top