1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best motor oil???!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Patrickd, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM
    Porsche917k

Porsche917k Active Member

Member:
    After oil samples in various cars, I can tell you that Redline is a very good product. Of course it is pretty expensive as well. As far as synthetics go, Mobil 1 is an inferior product, but it's not a huge deal in these engines for various reasons. Just pick a good synthetic and call it a day.

2. Nov 12, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    UOAs from many engines would suggest otherwise.

3. Nov 12, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.

Data/#'s or just opinion? Just asking! ;)

4. Nov 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    Porsche917k

Member:
    I and several other people I race cars with have done many oil samples in Porsche engines. While Mobil 1 is perfectly fine for street use, they have changed their formula in recent years and removed or lowered quantities of several metals that are necessary in certain engines. For example, many older engines have valve guides and seats that weren't made as well as they are today. For these applications you need an oil with higher levels of certain metals to protect these parts. Your opinions may vary based on your experience, but I am just stating what I have learned in real world experiences experimenting with different oils. Again I'll say that Mobil 1 is perfectly safe for a street engine such as in a Tacoma, but in a high stress racing application where engine rebuilds are $10-30k, you need to be extremely careful what you use.

I'll site the data on Mobil's recent formula changes if I can locate them this afternoon.

5. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

And this is my point - let's try not to generalize a very specific demographic. The results of oil use in a Porsche racing engine means little to Toyota truck owners. I'd rather have oil analyses of Mobil 1 that was used in Tacoma engines doing truck stuff....towing, offroad, etc.

6. Nov 12, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    Porsche917k

Member:
    Sorry for the miscommunication. Wasn't trying to generalize but several people asked what the hands down best oil to buy is. In my opinion that is Redline and any engine will benefit from running it.

7. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.

+1 on the Redline. My truck runs quite, smoother, temp. is lower, and MPG is a tad better. And no I don't keep detailed records!

8. Nov 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    JaredM

JaredM Active Member

Member:
    AVS Bugdeflector II
    dealer said just use dino oil and keep it clean. Good general advice. I had a gmc diesel and would only put AMSOIL synthetic in it. I am thinking to go that route or maybe mobil1 synthetic on the 09 tacoma trd 4dr 4x4

9. Nov 12, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i just switched over to royal purple so far so good. been getting maybe a mpg better or so i think. im doing really well with the tank about 250 and half left still and used to get maybe 400-425 a tank so idk maybe my drivings changed

10. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Here, sorry if repost, not rereading whole thread. The best motor oil is CLEAN motor oil.

11. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    AMSOIL usually crushes other brands in industry standardized tests.

I have been using for a very long time and love it.

If any of you are thinking of using it, I have a hook up for you.

You can sign up as a dealer or a preferred customer and buy direct at wholesale costs instead of paying retail. It only costs $10 to sign up. You will save way more than that on your first order.

Just go to my site and follow the links to sign yourself up and then place your order.

www.GadgetOnline.com/AMSOIL.htm

G

12. Dec 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    GARDANGIIIIIITTTTTTTT...... I got so busy I forgot to buy the oil... now it's Dec 2nd and the rebate is over.....

Well the good think is some of you guys got the rebate..... hahha missed my own post...

13. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I purchase Toyota oil & filters at my dealership and then change the oil myself.

14. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
    Just trying to clarify.

Mobil 1 has changed their formula?

It is not as good as it use to be?

Thanks for the clarification.

I just bought Mobil 1 and will give it a go.

I read the Amsoil is the only true synthetic oil.

Any takers?

-Al

15. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    Porsche917k

Member:
    A few of years back, some of the racers around here started experiencing camshaft failures as well as other parts in their engines. After quite a bit of investigating it turned out that Mobil had changed their formula lowered levels of some metals in the oil such as ZDDP. These additives are pretty essential in some motors and higher mile motors.

Will you ever have a problem running Mobil 1? No

However there are other superior products if you want to spend the money. Any synthetic is more than fine to run in these motors and will last 200k + I imagine.

16. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
    Thank you for your reponse Porsche.

17. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Amsoil was the first synthetic, but since the industry itself can't seem to decide what synthetic is and isn't, their claim to be the only one is pretty silly.

I refuse to use Amsoil because they are distributed through a multi-level marketing system. If their products were available retail, I would consider them.

See below:

18. Dec 3, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
    thanks for the input jandrews.

-Al

19. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    06WHITETRD

06WHITETRD Gotta Love my Taco!!!!

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma OFF-ROAD
    Tinted windows, window visors, XDI True Flow intake, White Devil Emblem, sport white grill, stubbie 6' antenna, TRD license plate frame,TRD Exhaust, weathertech floor front & rear, LED map/dome & license plate lights,Black Grille,T-Rex eyebrows,black Skid Plate,Lower bumper cover,Black emblems,white TRD Emblem,lamin-x yellow,Slotted & Cross Drilled rotors,Redline shocks(hood),HID 6k,more to come
    Mobil 1 period!!!!

20. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I run Castrol Syntec myself... have for years (including my previous Dodge Stealth R/T TT, G35, ect).

I've heard mixed things on Castrol Edge on bob's site. Some of the test coming back showed their Syntec actually did better... so I've stuck with Syntec....

Products Discussed in

To Top