1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best offroad navigation?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rebelace, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Apr 15, 2008 at 12:37 AM
    rebelace

rebelace [OP] New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD
    Ok I just got a new tacoma and I have been looking at getting a dvd player in my dash (mainly for ipod hookup) and I went riding around today and found myself in some woods that I could easily get lost in. Is there any nav/dvd units out there that can handle both on and offroad nav? Like when I go off route it starts drawing a line or something so I can follow it back? Any help is appreciated thanks alot.

2. Apr 15, 2008 at 6:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Most GPS's will allow some sort of tracking in various scenarios.

You'd set a *waypoint* at your starting location and after cruising around in the woods.... set the 'waypoint' as a destination and drive towards it. You could set waypoints along the way also.

3. Apr 15, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    boks

boks From Michigan!!

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2020 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    Rhino RTS ditch mount roof rack tracks Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover Yakima tracks on Bed rails LED Interior Light upgrade Former Vehicle: 2007 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    There's GPS units that will do exactly that, plot your course which allows you to follow it back. These are considered handheld "trail" or "hiking" GPS units. I use the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx which works great for this. You can store the 2 tracks right on the unit and once you've hit them, you know exactly where it is next time.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310&locale=en_US

However, this GPS doesn't do street navigation and is probably not intragrated into any indash DVD type system. My wife used the Garmin Nuvi 350 which has every street on it, tells you where to go, when to turn and how long it's going to take when you get there. It's pretty cool GPS and I believe a couple Indash systems are based off of the same unit. This is great unit until you go offroad, which it has no clue where you are and doesn't track where you've been.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6291&locale=en_US

I don't believe there's one GPS that is designed for on road like the Nuvi and then works offroad also. If you're looking for a offroad GPS, I would suggest a "mapping Handheld" unit.

Boks

Products Discussed in

To Top