1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best oil to use

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by onelifeoneride, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jan 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    onelifeoneride

onelifeoneride [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Burlington, CT
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sport,LB, quad cab, speedway blue, 4x4, flame airbrush paint
    custom flame paint job, westin bull bar, something like 13 cupholders LOL, multimedia in thought/planning stage
    i have an 06 trd, wanted to know best oil to use and if synthetic is worth the price, i usually go 5K before i change oil?

2. Jan 29, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
  3. Jan 29, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    if u go 5K miles u need synthetic. regular oil is only for 3000 mile intervals.

4. Jan 29, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    just my opinion as always.....but yes, synthetic is definitely worth it!! i use pennzoil platinum in the prerunner now, but i've used mobil1 also, and never had any problems. mobil1 is what im running in the wifes honda accord!! synthetic makes a good difference as far as im concerned!!

just be sure to use the right weights!!

5. Jan 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Sweet!! Another oil thread!! I say, just put some flour in the oil tank, you can increase your drain intervals to 10K if you do that LOL. BTW, I'm not being serious, do not ever put flour in your oil tank

6. Jan 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    If you want off-the-shelf synthetic oil I'd stay with Mobil1, German Castrol (0W-30), or Pennzoil Platinum.

Right now Autozone has 5qts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Tough Gard filter for $19.99. This is a sweet deal. Just 5qts of Pennzoil is usually $30, not counting the oil filter. This is good through Feb 6th.

BTW, you'll need to buy an extra quart. 6qts total. The 4.0L holds 5.5 qts.

People talk bad about Fram filters, but the new Tough Gard filters are good filters. The old plain Fram filters weren't so good.

[​IMG]

7. Jan 30, 2008 at 10:10 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Awesome recomendation pb. I'm heading there after work to pick some up. Time to change out the dino juice anyway.

8. Jan 30, 2008 at 11:00 AM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke
    #1 use Toyota's oil filter, Amsoil or Mobil1 are also good, I wouldn't use Fram unless someone else is buying me the truck and maintaining it for me.

#2 Synthetic from the first oil change, just don't use Pennsoil! I have Mobil1 in the engine, front & rear diffs, transfer case, & Mobil1 grease in the drive lines. I have Amsoil in the transmission.

#3 Do yourself a huge favor and also put synthetic in the differentials, transmission & transfer case.

9. Jan 30, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    I'm getting close to the 5,000 mile mark, and based on your opinions on having from first oil change the synthetic option, I opt for AMSOIL 0W-30 with their brand filter and I will take advantage of this opportunity to install the FUMOTO valve (F103) also. I hope this apparently good start keep this baby running longer.

10. Jan 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I couldn't disagree more. Do you have oil studies to back your position? I don't have them for this truck but I do for my Altima. PP shows much less wear than M1. M1 is a Group III synthetic just like PP anyway meaning, it isn't a "true" synthetic, at least not in my opinion. But, I use PP anyway because it showed such great wear (lower) than the M1.

Of course, you may get different results from different engines so the only way to know for sure is to do an oil study.

Go with Pennzoil Platinum. You really can't go wrong with it.

11. Jan 31, 2008 at 12:59 AM
    pdxyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    Plus, if you use PP & need wax for camping and making candles you're all set. I've read until I'm blue in the face about synthetics, or (psuedo-synthetics). I will always use M1 w/ OEM filter or M1 filter. PP is great for anyone else.

12. Jan 31, 2008 at 4:45 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile 1 now has the M1 Extended Life. Probably the same M1, with a greater wear package.

I'll just use this and change every 5 K still. Figure the oil will be even cleaner and less affected by conbustion by products.

Got the Fumoto 103N on the drain valve already.

13. Jan 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    I buy Valvoline SynPower. Great OIL... With a Purolator PureOne filter. The best setup. But this is just opinion so go figure.

14. Jan 31, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I went to get the Penz Plat yesterday but Autozone was out of 5 30 so I headed over to the store I actually like and found the Valvoline SynPower on sale, BOGO! Truck absolutely knows the difference between the regular and syn.

15. Jan 31, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    pdxyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    Same here, I can feel the difference & hear the idle is quieter w/ synthetic.

Opinions abound w/ which is better, to be honest as long as you have "oil" in the engine and it's changed regularly you will NEVER have any issues with these engines, THAT I do know.

If one thins more, no idea, I don't race the truck, it's never been even remotely close to red-lined, and I never go more than 3k between changes.

Change the oil often, if you do a 5k mile interval I'd recommend changing the oil filter (fill it with oil before application if you have the hanging type like my 2.7L) at 2,500 for best results. Hell, that's my opinion but I believe the cleaner the oil the better and for $4.99 every 2,500 miles I feel better.

16. Jan 31, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    cvillechopper

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yeh. My wife mentioned to her parents that I was changing the oil about 3 weeks after we got the truck and here dad went into his schpeal about how engines today don't need to change the oil until 5K at least, blah, blah, blah. Having worked on motorcycles for many years and having rebuilt an engine or 2, I know better. You'll get some debris from the engine breaking in through about 10K but it gets less with every change.
    I just swapped out the conventional after 3K (4K total on the truck now) and saw, with no surprise, some metallic flake on the top of the drain tub. Just part of the process and it's less than the first change.
    Sure I probably over do it with oil changes, but it's one less thing for me to think about before bed. I actually lose sleep over that type of thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top